Das Spiel (Gerald's Game): Roman by…

Das Spiel (Gerald's Game): Roman (original 1992; edition 2009)

by Stephen King, Joachim Körber (Übersetzer)

4,92941929 (3.28)1 / 91
Member:wanderfisch
Title:Das Spiel (Gerald's Game): Roman
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Joachim Körber (Übersetzer)
Info:
Rating:*

Gerald's Game by Stephen King (1992)

Rose Madder by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: King's abused wives phase.
    Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: These two books are thematically related and tied together by a full eclipse of the sun that occurs at a climactic moment.
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: Not exactly a ghost story like Bag of Bones, but thrilling to the end. Starts off fast (however does have sexual content).

English (33)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (41)
Gerald's Game by Stephen King

First let me say, I did NOT finish this book. I got one third of the way through and I just couldn't finish it. Too much head noise for me.

The book is a psychological thriller about a couple who have been married for 20 years and have taken a romantic trip to their remote lake house in Maine. During a kinky sex episode, the wife is handcuffed to the bed against her will and accidentally kills her husband. She is now alone with her thoughts and fears and her husband is dead. Page after page we read how she feels, hear the voices inside her head, and I guess we are supposed to be scared but I was anything but. Unless of course you count the mangy hound that came in and started feeding on the the dead husband. I was actually bored throughout the few chapters I did read because of the monotonous details of thought and pain and misery. And if that isn't bad enough, I didn't even like the woman.

Way over the top!!
But if that is your thing, then you might enjoy it. By all means, go for it.

I want to add that this is the first book by Mr. King that I didn't enjoy. He is the author of one of my all time favorites, The Green Mile.

Published in 1993 by Signet. ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
I can't believe my mother let me read this stuff.

2 vote alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
A frightening scenario of a bondage encounter gone wrong. Scary and thought-provoking. The better of King's eclipse novels. ( )
  srboone | Apr 3, 2013 |
some parts hard to read because of topic; and sometimes boring ( )
  rosies | Sep 18, 2012 |
I have to say first off that I haven't read many of Stephen King's book all the way through and I think that's mainly due to their length. It intimidates me and makes me think that I'll be spending a month reading one book and upon finishing it, become very disappointed that I wasted so much time on it. I'm not so much disappointed about Gerald's Game but I do believe that it could have been better. One main problem with the book was its length. Granted it's not as long as some of King's books but come on, I did not need to know every minute detail about what was going on with the main character while she was handcuffed to a bed. It became very repetitive in the description of her legs and arms cramping and her dry throat. This book is also one of the goriest books that I have ever read by Stephen King (but that may be because I haven't read very many). I had a hard time reading through certain parts of the book that were extremely gory and disgusting, but low and behold, I made it! The only reason that I decided to give this book a 3 out of 5 was because I love the way Stephen King writes and this book surprisingly scared me a few times, with "death" creeping around every corner. I know that I need to read more of his books in order to compare it more accurately but from what I have read I would say that this is not one of his best. I would recommend it for King readers just because it's King and who can go wrong with King? But I would give a fair warning in advance: Extremely gory and boringly descriptive. ( )
1 vote jshepherd929 | Apr 20, 2012 |
{Sadie} gathered herself together. No one could describe the scorn of her expression or the contemptuous hatred she put into her answer.

"You men! You filthy dirty pig! You're all the same, all of you! Pigs! Pigs!"

-- W. Somerset Maugham,

"Rain"
This book is dedicated, with love and admiration, to six good women:

Margaret Spruce Morehouse
Catherine Spruce Graves
Stephanie Spruce Leonard
Anne Spruce Labree
Tabitha Spruce King
Marcella Sprice
Jessie could hear the back door banging lightly, randomly, in the October breeze blowing around the house.

On a warm weekday in October, in the lovely summer home of Gerald and Jessie Burlingame, a game is about to begin. It's a game to be played between husband and wife, and a game that has Jessie being innocently handcuffed to the bedposts. Then, in one horrible violent act, Gerald is dead and Jessie--well, she's alone and still chained to the bed. But Jessie's about to have company that goes beyond all of her worst nightmares.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451176464, Mass Market Paperback)

A different kind of bedtime story from Stephen King, as a game of seduction between a husband and wife ends in death. But the nightmare has only just begun...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:01 -0400)

When rough sex between Jessie and Gerald Burlingame turns deadly, leaving Gerald dead and Jessie handcuffed to the bed, it sets in motion a terrifying and psychologically twisted twenty-eight hours.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,421,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible