Das Spiel (Gerald's Game): Roman by…

Das Spiel (Gerald's Game): Roman (original 1992; edition 2009)

by Stephen King, Joachim Körber (Übersetzer)

5,37046814 (3.29)1 / 93
Member:wanderfisch
Title:Das Spiel (Gerald's Game): Roman
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Joachim Körber (Übersetzer)
Info:Heyne Verlag (2009), Ausgabe: 4, Taschenbuch, 480 Seiten
Rating:*

Gerald's Game by Stephen King (1992)

Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: These two books are thematically related and tied together by a full eclipse of the sun that occurs at a climactic moment.
    Bag Of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: Not exactly a ghost story like Bag of Bones, but thrilling to the end. Starts off fast (however does have sexual content).

English (37)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
The book starts out in surprising territory for King: a sexual game being played by Gerald Burlingame, who has just handcuffed his wife Jessie to the bed. This is not the first time this game has been played -- it's an old routine at this point, one which Jessie never particularly liked and has now grown quite bored with, to the point of frustration. She tells her husband that she doesn't want to do it this time, but he presses on. In the ensuing struggle, he has a heart attack and dies, leaving her handcuffed to the bed, in the middle of nowhere.

That's when the story really starts. King's real strength in this story is not just in telling what happens to Jessie in her predicament, but King uses this device to tell the story of how she got there in the first place. What sort of woman is Jessie? What events led her to this place, this man, this scenario? In the course of the story, as Jessie struggles to free herself from her bonds, we also find out why she is there.

In the end, "Gerald's Game" is not one of King's easier stories to read. It deals with some real issues, and its terrors are only too plausible. Unlike "The Shining" or "Cujo," it's difficult to put this book down at the end and convince oneself that the same thing couldn't happen to you. It's not a book about the scary monster that comes from under the bed. No, in the final analysis "Gerald's Game" is about the monsters who sleep in the bed with you, cleverly disguised, and about those monsters who were there to shape your past. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
So, a woman is handcuffed to the bed by her husband, and while in this sate, is widowed. Great idea! If you're wondering why it's so long, she hears voices (rather tiresome) and there's a flashback sequence (rather well done). In fact there's a lot that's well done in the novel but I found myself wondering 'Do I really care?' And the ending goes a bit wrong. I mean, does it matter? ( )
  Lukerik | Nov 24, 2015 |
Reading Gerald’s Game was like watching a great horror film: squirming at the gruesome gore, rooting for the heroine who you don’t think will make it but hope against all odds will, looking over your shoulder for the sinister twisted villains (emotional and physical villains included). The ending is controversial amongst readers in that it makes or breaks this book; for me, the twist really pulled the novel together into a cohesive experience. The ending allowed Gerald’s Game to perfectly replicate that horror movie feeling of not being scared in the moment when viewing/reading the work (but appreciating the creepy, nightmarish plot), only later to lie awake terrified at 3 in the morning. No other book has ever given me that reaction! (Note: I gotta mention the trigger warnings for DV and CSA) ( )
  verkakte | Oct 31, 2015 |
A pretty disappointing book. The first Stephen King novel that I started to skim read to just get to the end. Sad. The first 20 pages or so work really well, but then it just gets long and drawn out. It probably would have been a good short story, or at most a novella, but there is not nearly enough material to make this a book that was priced $23.50 when it came out. I think of it as "Misery" meets "Cujo" and then, well, this came. The positives of it, for me, were that there is a horrifying character at the end that is really well written and I loved the connection to "Dolores Claiborne". But the character is totally wasted and the connection felt more like a commercial idea, a way to sell this book. Anyway, I'm bummed I read this and feel a bit like I felt after reading his short story "Ur". Still, I'm a big fan, and I guess I'll have to put this in the "everyone has a bad day at work" file. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jul 27, 2015 |
Gerald's Game is not a book of action so much as one of internal struggle and growth. Most of the book takes place in Jessie's head as she thinks about her husband, her father, her therapist, and her old friend Ruth. Ruth and Nora, the therapist, are a couple of the voices she hears in her head, along with an alter-ego she thinks of as Goodwife Burlingame.

But that's not to say that the novel is all about thinking. Things do happen, and they are creepy and sometimes downright gruesome. Jessie makes attempts to relieve her worsening thirst and, of course, to free herself from the handcuffs. She also has visitors, but the less said about those the better. You'll just have to read it yourself.

I've had a tough time reading lately, possibly because of so many distractions in my life right now, which is why I turned to Stephen King. This is one of his books I missed because it came out soon after I went to college and discovered that there are, in fact, other authors out there. I didn't read anything of his for quite a while and now I'm trying to catch up. I think it was a good book to pick at the time and I'm glad I read it, but it's definitely not one of my favorites. I really appreciated the story of Jessie coming to grips with her childhood trauma, and trying to save her own life, but I do like a little more action in a story.

http://blog.threegoodrats.com/2015/06/geralds-game.html ( )
1 vote 3goodrats | Jun 27, 2015 |
{Sadie} gathered herself together. No one could describe the scorn of her expression or the contemptuous hatred she put into her answer.

"You men! You filthy dirty pig! You're all the same, all of you! Pigs! Pigs!"

-- W. Somerset Maugham,

"Rain"
This book is dedicated, with love and admiration, to six good women:

Margaret Spruce Morehouse
Catherine Spruce Graves
Stephanie Spruce Leonard
Anne Spruce Labree
Tabitha Spruce King
Marcella Sprice
Jessie could hear the back door banging lightly, randomly, in the October breeze blowing around the house.

On a warm weekday in October, in the lovely summer home of Gerald and Jessie Burlingame, a game is about to begin. It's a game to be played between husband and wife, and a game that has Jessie being innocently handcuffed to the bedposts. Then, in one horrible violent act, Gerald is dead and Jessie--well, she's alone and still chained to the bed. But Jessie's about to have company that goes beyond all of her worst nightmares.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451176464, Mass Market Paperback)

A different kind of bedtime story from Stephen King, as a game of seduction between a husband and wife ends in death. But the nightmare has only just begun...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:26 -0400)

When rough sex between Jessie and Gerald Burlingame turns deadly, leaving Gerald dead and Jessie handcuffed to the bed, it sets in motion a terrifying and psychologically twisted twenty-eight hours.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,584,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible