The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Series: Don Tillman (1)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Each of these are smart, fast reads that make you read between the lines to find the humor. Great books!
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    EMS_24: Similar search for love, romance. If I explain more i would give to many spoilers
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (418)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (436)
Guess I would have liked it better if the author hadn't inserted his not-so-subtle conservatism into the plot. ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
I loved this book. It was a truly delightful book to read. It made me laugh and sometimes almost cry. I have a friend with a son with aspergers and I can definitely see her son in the main character "Don".

Written from a unique perspective, this is one of the few, if not the only, romantic comedies with a male protagonist. And not only male, but autistic. Don Tillman is a brilliant scientist, but has absolutely no idea how to socialize with others. He does not break rules, he lives on a schedule, does not understand social cues and hopes to find a wife using a questionnaire.
Rosie is beautiful, smart and nowhere close to what Don sees as a perfect life partner. They go out a few times without really dating and they are so different from one another that Don can not see Rosie as a possible wife.

This book is one of those rare gems that most people could relate to on some level. A mid life crisis, two people looking for love, a Dean who is trying to raise money for the University, a couple who love one another but see other people, a woman searching for her biological father and more.

Written with a one of a kind voice, you experience all of Don's ups and downs as he over-analyses, fears and then embraces change and eventually learns how to love.

This is a beautiful love story. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
In the spirit of full disclosure, I did not expect to like this book as much as I did! As you'll see from the glowing five star rating, The Rosie Project totally threw me for a curve. It's impressive to me that I went into this book completely annoyed with the main character, and then two chapters later I couldn't stop reading. Things kept getting better. Don kept surprising me. By the time I reached the end, I was breathless and satisfied. That, my friends, is the mark of a damn good book.

The thing is that Don, our main character, has Asperger's. I've read quite a few books with protagonists that faced the same challenge, but Don takes the cake in the personality department. How would I describe Don? Words that come to mind are: punctual, organized, brutally honest and often insufferable. At least, that is, at first. If you go into this book not loving Don, please keep reading. The growth that he shows, the barriers that he knocks down, it's just all so amazing. He ended up being one of my favorite characters. I definitely wasn't expecting that.

I've seen others take issue with the way that Asperger's is portrayed in The Rosie Project, and I'll honestly say that I can't take a stand on that. Not having any previous interactions with anyone like Don, I don't know if this is an accurate portrayal or not. What I can say is that I never felt like the author was being negative about Don's behavior, or trying to make him a joke. Quite the opposite actually. I learned so much about the ways that he had to adapt simply to fit in with the craziness that is us. When you look at it from his perspective, we're the ones who make no sense.

That, and I think a lot of the more negative light falls on Rosie in this instance. She's a feminist at heart, but still wants her swoon-worthy romance as well. She's all about standing out, but sometimes is uncomfortable with not fitting in. Rosie is a paradox, but that fits perfectly into this story. She helps Don find his best self, and learns more about herself along the way. I liked her, I loved him, and the whole story that revolved around them drew me in.

So what am I trying to say through all the rambling? This is a damn fine book. I wasn't sure about picking it up at first, but after reading so many glowing reviews I gave it a shot. I'm sincerely glad I did. The Rosie Project deserves all those fantastic reviews, and I'll happily add another one into the mix. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Absolutely loved this book, actually laughed out loud SEVERAL times. I thank my LibraryThing Secret Santa for this one, can't wait to read the sequel:) Very highly recommended. ( )
  erinclark | Jan 31, 2019 |
This is the most enjoyable book I have read in a long while.
The story of an undiagnosed Asperger spectrum academic in his search for a life partner. The author creates a highly believable character, and brings the audience along in support of his quest. There is much humour, but we are clearly laughing with the character, not at him. The writing is beautiful smooth and flowing. I flew through the book in two days and was sorry when I finished it. ( )
  mbmackay | Jan 28, 2019 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)
Who's Rosie's daddy?
Brown eyes can be recessive,
Not ev'ryone knew!
(pickupsticks)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,534,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible