The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Series: Don Tillman (1)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Each of these are smart, fast reads that make you read between the lines to find the humor. Great books!
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    House Rules: A Novel by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (405)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (423)
Mixed feelings. It was quite funny in parts, and a fun read. But I didn't believe the ending. I don't believe Don could have reinvented himself so easily. And I don't believe that it never occurred to him to do so before. His social inabilities have caused multiple problems in his life, and he knows this. It would have been logical to address these earlier, and Don is extremely logical. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is a well-loved book - not by me, however. Apparently it's supposed to be a romantic comedy? I didn't find it humorous in any respect - in fact, I thought it was irritating and implausible. And there's a sequel - yikes! ( )
  flourgirl49 | Sep 11, 2018 |
Don Tillman is a highly intelligent but socially inept professor of genetics. He is able to count his friends on one hand, is painfully literal and brutally honest – not through any cruelty, but just through lack of social skills. When he decides that he needs a wife, he acts in typical fashion and devises a questionnaire to select the perfect candidate and weed out anyone who is not suitable.

So when Rosie walks into his life, Don immediately dismisses her as entirely unsuitable – she smokes, drinks, is led by emotion rather than logic and is habitually late. She is also on a mission to find out the identity of her real father – and Don, as a geneticist, is ideally placed to help her. As they become friends and go through a number of adventures to obtain the DNA of the various candidates, Don finds that sometimes emotions do trump logic, and what should make two people incompatible can sometimes be exactly what makes them click with each other.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish. It is narrated from Don’s point of view, which gives plenty of opportunity for humour, and also means that the reader empathises with him in a way that wouldn’t have been so easy if it were told in the third person. I also really liked Rosie – she is feisty, intelligent and witty, and the two of them made a great main couple of characters as they navigated the highs and lows of friendship.

The ending really made me smile as well – it covers more than just the outcome of the friendship between Don and Rosie – and manages to be both surprising and heartwarming.

I highly recommend this book and am already looking forward to reading the sequel, The Rosie Effect. ( )
  Ruth72 | Aug 8, 2018 |
Thanks to Goodreads for the ARC copy, I had read about this book and was excited to win a copy before it hit the shelves!
I really enjoyed this book. I found this to be a well balanced combination of humour and empathy. Don is a brilliant genetics scientist who is on the Autism spectrum, yet although he is well aware he is "odd" he has never been officially "labelled". He has learned to get along by playing the class clown. He reads and observes in order to learn accepted social behaviour. His only friends, Gene and Claudia help him as well.
Don had decided it is time to find a mate and has turned to scientific means to screen potential candidates. Along the way Don meets Rosie, a beautiful, brash barmaid searching for her biological father. Rosie upsets Don's ordered life, and an unlikely friendship ensues. Rosie challenges Don to push beyond the parameters of his highly structured life, Don challenges some of Rosie's preconceived notions as well. The not too subtle question is; can these two find their way to one another?
Throughout the novel I could not keep thoughts of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory out of my head. Although much better looking and in some ways more sociable than Sheldon, the fact that they are both scientists with Asperger's Syndrome was distracting. I know this novel would make a great movie, and I kept casting roles as I read - that added to the fun.
This was a funny, fast, engaging read, highly recommended! I look forward to Graeme Somson's next novel!

N.B In my copy there was a letter from a senior editor, Karyn Marcus, introducing the novel and the author. I have never seen this before but I really loved it! If I were browsing in a book store, that letter would have convinced me to buy the book! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Light weight and easy to read. The book is like reading a screenplay for a romantic comedy. A nice break from the recent heavy duty fare I've been reading. This is a book group selection and I was pleasantly surprised. I will watch the movie version, if given the opportunity. I now look at people and try to guess their BMI-thanks Don! ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)
Who's Rosie's daddy?
Brown eyes can be recessive,
Not ev'ryone knew!
(pickupsticks)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,838,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible