The Rosie Project: A Novel by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Graeme Simsion (Author)

4,2094051,186 (3.99)410
Member:RobinBrz
Title:The Rosie Project: A Novel
Authors:Graeme Simsion (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2014), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

Recently added by5475a3, kaminton, Jekkoh, private library, Heldin, chamchans, csfoster, kk1, BookWyvern, ozzie65
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Each of these are smart, fast reads that make you read between the lines to find the humor. Great books!
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    House Rules: A Novel by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (387)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (404)
I laughed out loud all through the first half of the book. I laughed at all the stupid/ridiculous situations you find yourself in when you don't quite get what is happening (although real life may turn out much darker). And then in the second half it turned a bit Disney: he became rain man, remembered 100 different cocktails and people, learnt to dance expertly, watched a few random movies and lived happily ever after.
And actually I didn't understand the second half of the book. For a character who is supposed to be accurate about genetics, I'm not sure he completely spells out who/why is Rosie's father. Sherlock doesn't tell Watson or us exactly why he makes his deductions, although you can read between the lines.
I think his decision to withhold information from Rosie is invalid.
Rosie wants to know why her mother acted that way, not just who her father is. And her mother exerts promises of secrecy based on wrong assumptions.
And I think anappendix on genetic eye colour would be a helpful addition to the book. ( )
  kk1 | Oct 13, 2017 |
This book was a whole lot of fun and I have a very soft spot for it for the following reasons: the author is a fellow Monash University Alumni, it is set in Melbourne Victoria with a side trip to Moree New South Wales (a place in the outback that is remote but amazing) and the main character is autistic without that being a negative.

Don Tillman is a professor at a university in Melbourne. From the character development, it is obvious to the reader that he is some OCD and autistic tendencies and while that definitely has an impact on the things that happen to him and the way he behaves, he does not let that define him.

Into his life stumbles Rosie. A research assistant at the same university she is on a personal quest to discover who her father is. She meets Don because his best friend has shown Rosie Don’s questionnaire which he developed in an effort to find a wife or partner.

Rosie and Don don’t immediately hit it off as romantic companions but there are definitely some hints that it could go in that direction but that will depend on Don’s ability to be flexible which is difficult due to his OCD and autism.

They do find common ground however in Rosie’s quest. Don agrees to help her find and genetically test the candidates who Rosie believes may be her father. It is a wonderful quest that takes the two of them on a journey – both to find Rosie’s paternity and to find each other.

I was excited to discover that there is at least another book in the series and I am very much looking forward to reading it. I think readers will enjoy this book and it’s a great one for book clubs too! ( )
  ozzie65 | Oct 11, 2017 |
While I understand that some people quickly think that Don Tillman is just like "Sheldon Cooper" from CBS's hit show, The Big Bang Theory, I am happy to report that Don Tillman is his own man. Yes, he's got quirks and eccentricities that make him look awkward and less than professional, but the man is a genius in his field. His approach to love is less than conventional--create a questionnaire and weed out anyone who doesn't meet his criteria. But he happens to fall for a woman who is, dare I say it, almost everything he doesn't want in a mate.

Rosie is everything that Don is not: outgoing, dressy, embraces spontaneity, and is in touch with her emotions. But she's got her own baggage, just like the rest of us.

Two different people have never been more right for each other. ( )
  caslater83 | Sep 29, 2017 |
This quick and entertaining read follows geneticist Don Tillman, as he devises a plan to find the perfect wife while bypassing the social awkwardness of actual dating. Just when Don has it all figured out, he meets Rosie. Although Rosie meets none of Don's wife criteria, she quickly becomes his friend as they work together to find her biological father. A beautiful tale of self-discovery and human flaws, this book will keep you reading as you journey along with these unlikely companions.

Bettina P. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
A very entertaining read, for more than simple aesthetic reasons. It's a good read for emerging researchers. Seriously. This book should be on undergraduate and masters-level reading lists for instructing about research procedures, methodologies (GREAT demonstration of limitations and researcher bias), and ethics.

Only question: Seriously, how many covers can one book have? There are about ten different covers listed on Goodreads, and none match my edition. ( )
  Christina_E_Mitchell | Sep 9, 2017 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)
Who's Rosie's daddy?
Brown eyes can be recessive,
Not ev'ryone knew!
(pickupsticks)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,487,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible