The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 by Graeme…

The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Graeme Simsion (Author)

Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1
Authors:Graeme Simsion (Author)
Info:Penguin (2014), 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

Recently added byGroveBooks, rena75, NML_dc, Dana723, Shizzy, Revagoldberg, AveryMist, private library
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Each of these are smart, fast reads that make you read between the lines to find the humor. Great books!
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    EMS_24: Similar search for love, romance. If I explain more i would give to many spoilers
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (429)  Dutch (7)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  All languages (446)
Not awful but still disappointing. Rosie was undeserved and Don was frustratingly inconsistent. He seemed like a Marty Stu for much of the novel, having no difficulty mastering any skill. His autistic spectrum symptoms were also negated for too easily. His issue changes from whether he can't process normal social cues to just being disinterested in them. The author stated that this was originally a film script that he rewrote into a novel. There's a lot of subtext and development that he never wrote in, given the opportunities the novel format afforded him. ( )
  bulletproofheeb | Aug 12, 2019 |
The Rosie Project is a lighthearted romantic comedy that, in spite of itself, asks an interesting and emotional question: can someone on the autism spectrum (Aspergers) love and be loved in a romantic way? Don is the narrator of the entire book. As with any first person book, if a reader doesn’t respond to Don, the book is going to be a disappointment. However, through Don's unique perspective we get a fresh look at how he behaves with and towards others, how he evaluates himself, his habits and his reactions to others. ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Jul 25, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book. Since it was written from a non-conventional perspective, it was a funny, honest, delightful romantic comedy that shows us the true meaning of love and friendship. I read it in a day because I just couldn't put it down, routing for Don the entire time. Can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  Erboyle | Jul 3, 2019 |
It is a good book to highlight Asperger’s syndrome and this disease's challenges that often go unnoticed. However, at the end of the day, it is another cheesy romance story. Some people compared this book to Pretty Woman and Big Bang Theory - all true. I felt like portions are taken from Hollywood stories to make up for Don's irresistible boredom. Don is a prick. He is seriously a sad person. Gene is a womanizer and a bigger prick. Rosie is seeking the identity of her biological father and she is the total opposite of what Don is looking for or needs. So I am sure, it is going to be a nasty divorce people. We need to get a bit real about this romantic novels. I find very few of them doesn't trigger my gag reflex.

At the same time, Graeme won the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for an unpublished manuscript. and Sony Pictures has optioned the screen rights. Maybe I am not a reliable source for romance novels. ( )
  soontobefree | Jun 25, 2019 |
When I started this my first thought was OMG (the protagonist) is Sheldon (Big Bang Theory) but while it’s difficult for fans of the show not to see the inevitable similarities, it didn’t (as some people have pointed out) put me off reading but added another layer of amusement to the read. There’s a love story here with a difference. Intelligent, witty, at times throwing a light on human interaction in a way standard romances might not, this book is often joyful to read. I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would though the ending seemed a little rushed, perhaps explained because the book has sequels. I kind of prefer this as a standalone read but, if not for my to-be-read mountain, I might consider perusing the other titles. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Jun 25, 2019 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)
Who's Rosie's daddy?
Brown eyes can be recessive,
Not ev'ryone knew!
(pickupsticks)

Meet Don Tillman. Don is getting married. He just doesn't know who to yet. But he has designed a very detailed questionnaire to help him find the perfect woman. One thing he already knows, though, is that it's not Rosie. Absolutely, completely, definitely not. Originally published: London: Michael Joseph, 2013.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,316,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible