The Rosie Project

Member:E.M.Collyer
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:
Info:The Text Publishing Company

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

Recently added byprivate library, rena75, DMS1962, abcbuks, aprince21, krwerner, cardinal_biggles
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Each of these are smart, fast reads that make you read between the lines to find the humor. Great books!
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    EMS_24: Similar search for love, romance. If I explain more i would give to many spoilers
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (420)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (438)
Meh. I would have DNF'ed it if I wasn't listening on audiobook.

I also can’t shake the feeling that I’ve read, watched, or heard this story before. Awkward guy meets unconventional girl who makes him believe in love. Same story, recycled again. ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
Update revisited: The fun didn't last, I'm back to my first opinion, and abandoning this forever.

Update: Picked it up again and now it feels like a quick, light, fun read.

The plot sounded entertaining,so I let the publishers hyped-up description, the Goodreads star rating and $1.99 kindle price suck me in. I bailed after 60 pages. It's not a bad book, but I felt like it just skimmed the surface of a good idea. Reads like a script for a standard romantic comedy.
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
The Rosie Project is very & heart warming. The narrator, a professor with Aspberger's, learns that falling in love is not a rational process, and the story reminds us that we are all weird (the word used in the book) in some way. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
This book was read for my library book club this month. I enjoyed this book and found it a relaxing and fun read. I found myself laughing out loud sometimes. The main male character was very entertaining with his nuances and social interactions with the other characters.

Dr. Don Tillman is a geneticist that decides he wants to find a wife, and so he created a Wife Project with a questionnaire. Some of the answers that he would accept were very strict. One was about being on time. He didn't like anyone that was late, even just a few minutes. When I read that part it reminded me of some 'rules' or 'criteria' I had/have for the man I would like in my life, such as a non-smoker, one that doesn't need alcohol to have fun.

Rosie is the main female character and is a breath of fresh air. She is a smart, intelligent woman who has a mouth on her and isn't afraid to use it. She is very different from Don. She also wants to know who her father really is.

I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
  crazy4reading | Feb 21, 2019 |
Guess I would have liked it better if the author hadn't inserted his not-so-subtle conservatism into the plot. ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)
Who's Rosie's daddy?
Brown eyes can be recessive,
Not ev'ryone knew!
(pickupsticks)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,179,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible