The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    She Came From Beyond!: A Novel by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (329)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (342)
I really liked this book. Aside from having a few annoying stereotypes and dragging on a couple of chapters longer than necessary, this was a fun read. Original and funny, it was nice to have a main character who was different than most protagonists in this genre. Looking forward to reading the sequel!

3.5/5 stars. ( )
  meowism | May 17, 2016 |
The Rosie Project has been on my to-read list for a long time now and I was very excited going into it. Having read it, I have to admit, I think my expectations may have been a little too high. That's not to say that it was bad, because it wasn't. It was witty, clever, and even a little insightful. I'm not sure what else to say about it, other than it didn't have that wow-factor I was anticipating/expecting. ( )
  Lwheet | May 17, 2016 |
Continuing my year of re-reading happy books ( )
  NatalieAsIs | May 14, 2016 |
This book was so awesome. Finally a book about a person who has just as much problems with their emotions as I do, albeit in a different way. I loved how socially awkward Don was, because you usually don't see that in a fictional character to this extent. And yet he handles himself so well. I really enjoyed how this romance evolved and how it turned out. The fact that Don is a geneticist was a added bonus - something I want to do. Don is now one of my favorite lead characters. Highly recommended. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 29, 2016 |
Very seldom do I finish a book and want to start it all over again because it is so good. The Rosie Project is one of those. The character of Don is just so lovable, in spite of the fact that he has such poor social skills that almost every word he says is so honest that he comes across as rude and unfeeling. All the situations he finds himself made me laugh out loud. I have known a number of people who are so much like him. This is labelled as a romantic comedy, but it is more like a romance for people who don't read romance novels. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,885,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible