The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

Recently added bygrigoro, private library, Labrose, wcs53, Kaydeanne, littl3dot, hollyjim, Kaethe
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    House Rules: A Novel by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (346)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (361)
A fun read. Don Tillman's voice is perfect, and his "unconventional" perspective is the best thing about the book. The story itself is a little too neat, but nevertheless enjoyable and engrossing. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
If you are looking for a book that is both romantic, a feel-good story that will make you laugh-out-loud, this is the one you should read. It tells the story about a geneticist Don Tillman that is not good with social behaviour. He has the perfect woman in mind but will soon find out that the woman you think you want, is not always the woman you fall in love with. ( )
  Ruby82 | Sep 12, 2016 |
This book was great! A real refreshment, maybe just what I needed now. I had so many things to say about it in the review once I was done, but now that I am done, all those things seem to have disappeared.. However, I can still say that it's a story about being different, about understanding yourself and what you want, and that what you want isn't always what you need.

I loved the way Don's character was portrayed. I have met people like that myself, and I have read even more about characters like that. But one thing was different in this book - Don wasn't completely all that. He wasn't who he thought he was. Because although he comes off as someone cold, calculating and robotic - he fails to see that he has a huge consideration for people, for others' differences. And although he might not understand emotions and how they work, and might not be very connected to his own ones - he has tremendous consideration and tolerance for everyone else's feelings - which makes him a kind person - a thing he doesn't really understand, a thing he has been taught not to see, because others fail to see this in him at first glance. Many "normal" people could learn this from Don - especially in romantic relationships. Because it's considered that love is a feeling, and that's why Don thinks he's incapable of it, he's incapable of being reckless and feeling (and causing) drama. Instead, he can work for the other's happiness, he'd rather have theirs than his own, but he fails to see that that's what love is (or should be). Partly because society doesn't really portray that as love, which it is.

This book did have some flaws, every book does. But I won't talk about them, this time I will keep them to myself - because even despite the flaws, the book definitely has something good to say, and I'll leave it to you to find your own inconsistencies in it. But I hope you find more good things, as I surely did. This book wasn't just a really fun read (which it was too), but one with a really big emotional scape (surprisingly, huh?), very witty as well, and also thought provoking at times. But it's a fast read - it will just draw you in. My Sunday disappeared when I was reading this.. Well worth it though, well worth it.

Recommended for anyone! Especially those who liked [b:The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time|1618|The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time|Mark Haddon|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327882682s/1618.jpg|4259809]. I didn't particularly like that one, but the themes are similar, the style also, except this book is like, ten times better, honestly. ( )
1 vote avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
I loved this book....

The story was told so well and portrayed the characters with such clarity that I could not stop reading. There were so many social and relationship issues to think about and consider. Don, our main character, is an undiagnosed Asperger's Syndrome adult who is extremely smart and unusual. What is obvious to the reader, completely blind sights him. Graeme Simsion has done a magnificent job at clearly portraying his characters to the reader - I simply couldn't help myself but to fall in love with them all - good, bad, or indifferent.

This book is a must read for anyone who enjoys a bit of a laugh with a lot of emotion. Looking forward to reading the sequel, The Rosie Effect... Can't wait. ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
Review: The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.

This is a fast paced story with humor and an interesting romantic twist. The characters are creative and they have plenty of depth with the purpose of the theme, that nobody is perfect.

Don Tillman, the main character who was smart and was working at Melbourne University as a genetic professor. He’s been on a couple of dates but that didn’t work out and now he wants to find the perfect soul mate and get married. He informs the only two friends he has Gene and Claudia who are in an open marriage and both are psychologists about his “Wife Project”, which is a scientific questionnaire for women so he can find that special person. Gene has offered feedback about woman especially because he plans on bedding a woman from every nationality around the world and he is well on his way. Claudia is helpful in more of a professional way to Don, so they have more contact. In reality, Don, as a person is on the nerdy side and he admits he has a problem with communication and sociability.

Don looks at things differently then the average man. He follows routines he has set up for himself. He does things at a certain time, he has only a seven day meal menu week after week after week…his food supplies are always the same when he shops. In his cupboards are seven ingredient spots for each of his seven day meal plan, right down to the seasonings and wine he will use each day. Don has a problem in every aspect/issue that inhibits his life. He has allowed Gene to scan over some of the questionnaire’s a few women have answered. Don does set a date with one woman he thought was the perfect person…she left the restaurant before the meal was served….No problem, Don is patient and knows it might take a while.

One day in his office at the university a woman by the name of Rosie walks in and starts a conversation with him and he’s thinking to himself that Gene must have sent her but she is there for his professional advice on genetics since that was what he specialized in and taught. Don never caught on and they ended up going on a semi-date. He couldn’t believe gene could have made this kind of mistake…Rosie was far from his type…she smoked, she worked as a bartender, she swore like a parrot, but she did have an issue that he thought he could help her with, she wanted to find her biological father. He made it clear to her that she was not his type and there would be no intimate relationship. Don kept in contact with Rosie and I don’t think he had much of a choice in the matter. Don kept checking his “Wife Project”, but that seemed to going slow so and now he had the “Rosie Project”…to keep him busy. Than the story took a number of surprising twist and turns and the reader had to keep reading to find out who this woman was and Don was flustered because he never had this much contact with any woman…Who was Rosie…? Great story, great characters…loved it.! ( )
  Juan-banjo | Sep 8, 2016 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)
The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.
Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,707,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible