The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

3,6013551,463 (4)374
Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (339)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (353)
Fun but light. ( )
  devilish2 | Aug 20, 2016 |
3.5 This book was very readable and enjoyable. A coworker told me it sounded to her like something Sheldon (from The Big Bang Theory) would do and that helped me immensely to get in the right mindset for this book. I thought it was charming and entertaining. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Professor Tillman wants to get married. There are a few obstacles though. He doesn't act the way people expect him to. He is completely honest and he can't see the damage he makes with his honesty.
Next, he can't seem to get a break with women. He always does something unexpected that makes them leave.
You see, the professor is autistic. His days and activities, from how many hours (minutes) he gets to sleep to what he buys and cooks on a particular day, are all planned.
Since the book is written in the first person, you get to know the professor quite well. So, in order to get himself a wife he makes a questionnaire. Enter Rosie and the comedy of errors can start.

I liked the occasional humour. His thoughts can be quite entertaining. On dating: 'the probability of success did not justify the effort and negative experiences.'
I loved his rare relationships. He took care of an elderly neighbour Daphne until she stopped recognizing him.
But I hated this: 'It was unlikely that her profession as waitress and barmaid was consistent with the specified intellectual level. There was no point in continuing?'

Rosie is a cardboard character. I don't know much about her after reading this book. Now I see there is a second book with added drama, and it is possible she would be better developed there, but I have no desire to read it. There is a happy ending, move along. Don't create additional problems. Write about someone else.

Most women don't have any depth here. The characters mention feminism a lot, but they are more mildly mocked than anything.The academics don't fare any better either.

What I disliked the most is that Don Tillman changed in a course of a few days as if those were just his quirks. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Great read , wonderful characters ( )
  mishy215 | Jul 18, 2016 |
I was not sure I was going to enjoy this book when I first started reading it. Dr. Don Tillman is ready to have a wife and settle down but there are a few problems. He can't get past the second date and he has conditions like no smoking. His friend Gene, another professor in his department sends in Rosie. Tillman immediately rules her out as a good candidate because she smokes, is always late and is a vegetarian. But Rosie is trying to find out who her biological father is and since Tillman is a professor of genetics, he soon starts the Father Project in eliminating the men who were in Rosie's Mother's graduating class.

Tillman is a lot like his Aspergers syndrome patients he studies. He has to be on a rigid schedule, doesn't like to deviate from the schedule. He has issues reading social situations and expressions and takes things literally. I watch Parenthood and he is a lot like the boy Max on there.

I found this book humorous, entertaining, heartwarming and just all around enjoyable. I would have read it faster except I was spending the holidays with family. It is a quick read and can be read within a day. I recommend this book if you want something totally different and to see what it's like to have Aspergers. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,315,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible