The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

Recently added bylalahoff, private library, gina.h, hmm1234567, macneill, akresse, halinka, MSZR, LisaAnn805, lmeop
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (336)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (350)
Great read , wonderful characters ( )
  mishy215 | Jul 18, 2016 |
I was not sure I was going to enjoy this book when I first started reading it. Dr. Don Tillman is ready to have a wife and settle down but there are a few problems. He can't get past the second date and he has conditions like no smoking. His friend Gene, another professor in his department sends in Rosie. Tillman immediately rules her out as a good candidate because she smokes, is always late and is a vegetarian. But Rosie is trying to find out who her biological father is and since Tillman is a professor of genetics, he soon starts the Father Project in eliminating the men who were in Rosie's Mother's graduating class.

Tillman is a lot like his Aspergers syndrome patients he studies. He has to be on a rigid schedule, doesn't like to deviate from the schedule. He has issues reading social situations and expressions and takes things literally. I watch Parenthood and he is a lot like the boy Max on there.

I found this book humorous, entertaining, heartwarming and just all around enjoyable. I would have read it faster except I was spending the holidays with family. It is a quick read and can be read within a day. I recommend this book if you want something totally different and to see what it's like to have Aspergers. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I felt a bit guilty for enjoying this book – maybe too much of the fun was at Don’s expense. Still, it was good natured fun. Don’s insights made this romantic comedy more touching than simply entertaining. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
I think I must be one of the few people who has ever read this book who did not like it, because this book has a 4-star average on Goodreads. And if you are familiar with Goodreads at all, you would know that 4-stars is pretty darn good for an average.

I simply do not particularly like the characters in this book, and I do not care to read about them or their thought processes or issues for one more minute, because it feels like an utter waste of my time. And when reading feels like that, rather than an enjoyable past-time, it is time to move on to the next book.

I tried to like this book. I gave it to exactly 50% before I threw in the towel, because I kept thinking it would get more enjoyable. But Rosie is really the only character I do like, and she plays such a small role in the book, relatively, that she's not enough to keep me hanging on. Don should keep me entertained, because my first thought upon starting this book was that he reminds me of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory on TV, but despite thinking this the whole way through, I simply cannot connect with him and find him a likable character.

And then there is Gene. I honestly don't know that I've gotten the whole story behind Gene, because I'm only 50% through the book, but I find him vile. I find him so vile he is, frankly, a big factor in why I'm not continuing on with the book. If I had to figure it, I'd say he's 50% of why I'm not continuing on.

Obviously I am missing something charming about this book, but right now I simply cannot see what that something is. And some books are like that. Despite being wildly popular, sometimes they just don't connect on that level with everyone, and that is okay. That is why there is such a huge selection of books, and that is why it is such a great thing that we don't HAVE to finish anything we start reading.

Perhaps someday I'll come back to this and give it another shot. But for now, it's just not a winner for me. ( )
  TheGrandWorldofBooks | Jun 26, 2016 |
Fast, fun read, couldn't put it down. Finished in a little over 24 how, and I'm not a ficton reader! ( )
  Pamici | Jun 16, 2016 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,553,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible