The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (235)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (244)
Delightful story about a man with autistic spectrum behavior who tries to find a partner using scientific methods of data analysis and experimentation. His inability to identify other people's feelings through facial or verbal clues lends humor to situations, especially when sarcasm goes straight over his head. His friend, a philandering middle-aged man, sets him up with a woman that he knows will fail many of Don's basic requirements but lets Don discover that relationships don't always mesh with perfect synchronicity, but some variety is necessary.

Rosie has her own psychological problems. She feels that her father has basically neglected her after the mother's death when Rosie was ten. Her mother told her that Phil was not her father and she attributes his aloofness to the fact that she was basically dumped on him and, as things occur in the world of nature, since she does not share his genes he has been unfairly saddled with her upbringing. Don undertakes a scientific study to determine who her biological father is. He illegally uses the genetic equipment at work to identify him.

I read this book in one setting. It had humor, charm, but wasn't saccharine as it dealt with some uncomfortable situations. ( )
  mamzel | Apr 25, 2015 |
Loved this book - a delightful read ( )
  mishy215 | Apr 24, 2015 |
It took me a while - a long while - to get into this book. I made myself finish it because I bought it! Stupid reason. But about 1/2 way through, I really got into it and enjoyed reading it and finishing it. It took me a while to get into the main character's way of thinking and I thought the premise was stupid initially. But once I understood the humor, I really liked the book and would recommend it. ( )
  csobolak | Apr 16, 2015 |
This is a laugh out loud book, and I did several times. It is a light-hearted romantic comedy that, as good romances do, touches on some serious topics. In this case this is Asperger's Syndrome and the way people with Asperger's deal with the world. This book makes me wish for more starts. It really is that good. ( )
  susanbeamon | Apr 12, 2015 |
Great read. I loved the character development and getting insights into the mind of someone with Aspergers. The ending seemed a bit rushed, especially when Gene changed his behavior based on a single comment. But it was still a satisfying ending. ( )
  jaden | Apr 8, 2015 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,737,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible