The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)

English (147)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (156)
Professor Tillman wants to get married. There are a few obstacles though. He doesn't act the way people expect him to. He is completely honest and he can't see the damage he makes with his honesty.
Next, he can't seem to get a break with women. He always does something unexpected that makes them leave.
You see, the professor is autistic. His days and activities, from how many hours (minutes) he gets to sleep to what he buys and cooks on a particular day, are all planned.
Since the book is written in the first person, you get to know the professor quite well. So, in order to get himself a wife he makes a questionnaire. Enter Rosie and the comedy of errors can start.

I liked the occasional humour. His thoughts can be quite entertaining. On dating: 'the probability of success did not justify the effort and negative experiences.'
I loved his rare relationships. He took care of an elderly neighbour Daphne until she stopped recognizing him.
But I hated this: 'It was unlikely that her profession as waitress and barmaid was consistent with the specified intellectual level. There was no point in continuing?'

Rosie is a cardboard character. I don't know much about her after reading this book. Now I see there is a second book with added drama, and it is possible she would be better developed there, but I have no desire to read it. There is a happy ending, move along. Don't create additional problems. Write about someone else.

Most women don't have any depth here. The characters mention feminism a lot, but they are more mildly mocked than anything.The academics don't fare any better either.

What I disliked the most is that Don Tillman changed in a course of a few days as if those were just his quirks. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
This book was an absolute delight to read. I demolished it in two sittings and was very impressed with this debut author's interpretation of the romantic plight of a man who happens to have Aspergers (or so we are led to believe). The book was funny, intelligent and well written. I enjoyed this immensely. ( )
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
I can certainly see why this book is a top favourite of 2013. And now I am one of them.

The story starts off talking about Don and how he wants to find the perfect wife for himself. Right off the bat, it is interesting because we are introduced to Don Tillman, the geneticist, who is a little neurotic and obsessive with sticking exactly to his schedule/routine. However, something about his character makes him endearing and does not come off as a snob or anything like that. It is hilarious to read of his interactions with women and his friends Gene and Claudia. It is amusing to read his bluntness, social awkwardness and interaction with other people. One of my favourite scene is of him showing off his dance moves with Rosie.

I absolutely adore Rosie Jarman, she is such an awesome and unexpected character. Rosie was never a candidate for the "Wife Project", although due to some misunderstanding it lead to some interesting "dates" and fun times between her and Don. She is the kind of person I would love to have around, especially seeing how her father project helped Don make changes to his own life and to other people's (think of it like a chain reaction).

While we never find out for certain who Rosie's biological really is, that is perfectly fine with me because to me she found something much better... family and acceptance. And besides, a little mystery allows us readers to have a little fun guessing.

Overall, this is a fun and amusing read. Highly recommend. ( )
  Dream24 | Aug 21, 2014 |
The Rosie Project. Graeme Simison. 2013. What a silly, delightful, funny book! I think I read it in two days. Thank you, Betty for telling Judie about it and thank you, Judie for lending it to me! Don Tillman is another Sheldon Cooper of the “Big Bang Theory.” He is a genetic professor who had decided it is time for him to get married. He sets up chart of characteristic that the future wife must have and devises a 16 page questionnaire to distribute to eligible women and names this plan, “The Wife Project.” Needless to say he doesn’t know any suitable women so he joins a dating service with hilarious results. Meanwhile Rosie appears in his office and wants him to use DNA find her real father. Rosie smokes and drinks and could never come close to meeting all the qualifications described on the questionnaire. You see the ending coming from the beginning, but the book is laugh-out-loud funny. ( )
  judithrs | Aug 17, 2014 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

Don Tillman is getting married. He just doesn’t know who to yet.

But he has designed the Wife Project, using a sixteen-page questionnaire to help him find the perfect partner. She will most definitely not be a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also fiery and intelligent and beautiful. And on a quest of her own to find her biological father—a search that Don, a professor of genetics, might just be able to help her with.

The Wife Project teaches Don some unexpected things. Why earlobe length is an inadequate predictor of sexual attraction. Why quick-dry clothes aren’t appropriate attire in New York. Why he’s never been on a second date. And why, despite your best scientific efforts, you don’t find love: love finds you.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,311,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible