The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (325)  Dutch (7)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (339)
Very seldom do I finish a book and want to start it all over again because it is so good. The Rosie Project is one of those. The character of Don is just so lovable, in spite of the fact that he has such poor social skills that almost every word he says is so honest that he comes across as rude and unfeeling. All the situations he finds himself made me laugh out loud. I have known a number of people who are so much like him. This is labelled as a romantic comedy, but it is more like a romance for people who don't read romance novels. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
Great quick read. Light and entertaining with great plot. Highly recommended :-) ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Don Tillman is a 30-something genetics professor at an Australian university. He also has Asperger syndrome. (It wasn't clear to me if he is aware that he has Aspergers, although he is aware that social perception is a problem for him.) His only friend is Gene, a psychology professor at the same university, and Gene's wife and children. Don believes that it will be almost impossible for him to marry given his social shortcomings, and he seems to have accepted this until he gets the idea for what he calls the Wife Project. He will design a questionnaire that will help him locate a woman who is ideally suited for him. Womanizer Gene takes a great interest in Don's Wife Project and sends him a wild card candidate – a woman who is practically the opposite of Don's ideal partner. Rosie is looking for her biological father. The candidates are limited to her mother's medical school classmates. It isn't long before the Wife Project takes a back seat to the Father Project, and Don is finding more and more excuses to see Rosie again.

This romantic comedy is as much about friendship and relationships as about romance. I listened to the audio version, and the laugh-out-loud scenes made it difficult to listen to in public. There is lots of humor, but it's not at Don's expense. It reminded me of the kind of humor in my favorite TV series, Monk, with its OCD main character. I thought it was easy to assume where the plot was heading, but there was a twist toward the end that took me by surprise. I can easily imagine this as a film, so it's not surprising that the film rights have already been optioned. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Apr 19, 2016 |
This book really is one of my favorites. I love both of the characters. Each character is so unique and yet very believable. I could not get enough of this book! I was very sad when it ended and quickly devoured the second book. Really still would love some more though... A great fun, happy, (realistically sad at times too), and entertaining read. This book will always have a place on my bookshelf! ( )
  lilbooks22 | Apr 16, 2016 |
Very cute easy read. Picture an Aussie Sheldon /Spock who logically deduces that he should marry but hates wasting his time on incompatible women so he designs the perfect test to find the perfect wife. In walks the delightfull Rosie with a project of her own, who, if she were taking the test, would utterly flunk it. When you are in the mood for something that will make you smile, read this! ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible