The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    House Rules: A Novel by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Silver Linings Playbook [2012 film] by David O. Russell (EMS_24)
    She Came From Beyond! by Nadine Darling (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Sci-fi nerd romance is a central plot element and characters are obsessed with campy sci-fi trivia.
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Socially awkward characters find love.
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (352)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (368)
This book was everything I was hoping it would be and I really enjoyed it. It was light, it was funny, and I actually got a little misty near the end. An easy read but that's exactly what I was looking for! ( )
  dmbkel41 | Dec 7, 2016 |
Adorable - perfect summer book. :) ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
A socially awkward genetics professor, Don Tillman, who has never been on a second date sets out to find the perfect wife, but instead finds Rosie Jarman, a fiercely independent barmaid who is on a quest to find her biological father. (summary from ISBN 1470348195)

This book is hilarious! Don Jarman reminds me of the character Sheldon in the TV series, "Big Bang Theory". The interactions between Rosie and Don are comical, but they learn from each other and end up being friends and maybe more... ( )
  lrobe190 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I didn't really like the beginning of this novel - Don is annoying and I found myself ambivalent about his "project". But then Rosie came along and suddenly Don was more sympathetic and likable and I began to enjoy the interesting nuances of their relationship. Don & Rosie won me over. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Nov 16, 2016 |
The Rosie Project is one of those books that pulls you in and makes you feel as though the main character is a friend who is catching you up on what has been happening in their life. I felt myself understanding Don and his emotions and laughing with him and occasionally at him. Several times while reading I was hit with the fact that Don and I are not too different. On the surface, perhaps, but I saw characteristics in him that I normally only see in the mirror. As a romantic, seeing Don interact with Rosie, especially with the conclusion and road that their friendship takes, my heart was warmed and happy. This is a book I recommend to any person who enjoys self-discovery, happiness, romance, or just a modern tale of family and what that entails. ( )
  cbrwn92 | Nov 7, 2016 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,749,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible