The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (239)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (249)
I love books with quirky characters...and Don Tillman is nothing if not quirky! ( )
  mfdavis | May 20, 2015 |
Don is looking for a wife. His methods are unconventional, to say the least. But this is because Don is unconventional. Don is definitely on the Autism spectrum somewhere, but seems to be unaware of this. His social awkwardness is something he is accustomed to, and he just carries on. When he meets Rosie, she turns his life upside down. He falls in love with her and when he realizes this, he has to evaluate his life and make adjustments in order to accommodate a relationship. The process helps him get more in touch with himself and others. This was a charming and funny story with an unashamedly feel-good ending. ( )
  nittnut | May 6, 2015 |
It was a fun book and well written. However, it annoyed me that the author really didn't get the character of a person with Asperger's correct. I have known many a person with Asperger's and their insight into their issues is much different than Don's. But if you are able to overlook that one point, it is a fun book. ( )
  KamGeb | Apr 28, 2015 |
Simsion has written an absolutely delightful, endearing romantic comedy that made me smile and laugh as I read it. The romantic comedies I have read in the past have all followed the same old pattern of boy/girl develops interest in boy/girl and pursues the object of their attraction, usually with mixed/comic results. Simsion has incorporated a number of romantic comedy elements into his debut novel, with an interesting twist: The key protagonist, Don, is a logic-driven autistic genetics scientist with OCD tendencies and who is incapable of feeling or experiencing emotions such as love – that key ingredient that usually ‘runneth over’ in other romantic comedies - because, as he states, he is 'wired differently'. It came as no surprise that Simsion chose to craft Rosie as the perfect “opposites attract” personality, opening the story up to a myriad of possibilities and entertaining dialogue as Don helps Rosie with the 'Father Project'. I really enjoyed the academic setting and the awkward scenarios that crop up. I also really appreciate the inclusion of the supporting cast of Don’s friends – his Melbourne university hormone-sex driven colleague Gene and Gene’s psychologist wife, Claudia – to exemplify the differences in Don’s way of thinking/acting and how some individuals may interpret his actions. As you can imagine, I was cheering for Don from the very start of the story – who wouldn’t? – even as I was trying to picture what it must be like to try and live in a world where deciphering, understanding and registering emotional cues is so essential for social interactions. I think all of us can relate to an instance in our past where an inability or insensitivity to the nuances of what we said/meant ended up having disastrous social consequences. Try living you whole life confused or baffled as to why people act a certain way or say certain things. I would feel as though I was an alien dropped in from a different planet, which makes me appreciate all that much more how challenging our social world must be for individuals with developmental disorders that make up the autism spectrum.

Overall, a quick, delightful weekend read that has given me some food for thought regarding the human diversity that surrounds us, and how everyone has something special to offer. ( )
  lkernagh | Apr 27, 2015 |
Excellent fast read. The author wrote with humour and respect and with the interesting first person point of view of a successful man with Aspergers dealing with life in a university and the people around him. ( )
  nhlsecord | Apr 26, 2015 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,254,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible