Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)

English (150)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (159)
I loved this book. It was one of the funniest romances I have read. It is told through Don's eyes. He is a geneticist and decides it is now time to find a wife at 39. He decides to do it scientifically with a survey and computer analysis. What follows is a riot. Rosie comes into his life. She wants to find her father but Don thinks she has come as a participant to his survey. She is nothing he is looking for but she is everything he needs.

I loved Rosie. She is a mess. Don is very organized and rigid and Rosie messes with it all. It is fun watching her throw Don's world upside down, inside out. When he realizes he might lose her, he pulls out all the stops to keep her.

I want to read the sequel. Loved these characters and this book. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Sep 7, 2014 |
fin bog om aspergers syndrom
  Logopedia | Sep 4, 2014 |
Rating: 4/5
What it’s about: Don Tillmann thinks that it’s time for a change. He’s 39, unmarried and not really good at maintaining and even making relationships. What’s the first thing that a professor would think of in that situation? Of course, make all possible candidated fill out a questionnaire. But then Don has to learn the hard way that not everything can be measured and predicted in pie charts and diagrams. Especially not falling in love.

Writing 4/5: As a non-native speaker, the writing made me sigh sometimes. Especially in the beginning, Simsion uses very archaical language and does his best to make you not understand a word of what Don is saying. But it’s a stylistic device. Nobody has an idea what the hell that guy is up to. After about 50 pages I got accustomed to it and even found it quite amusing and not so bothering that the language is probably above the average contemporary level in terms of being complicated. Having said that, I still insist that the writing isn’t for everybody and I can imagine that people might struggle with it. I, however, was entertained. Simsion brilliantly lets the writing get affected by Don’s character development throughout the novel. Rookie authors can learn a lot from that kinda writing.

Plot 3/5:

Definitly a page-turner and that is rare for romance novels. This is a sort of cheesy love storty after all, but with the twist that the main character might be the weirdest protagonist you’ve seen in a while. I was really thrilled and invested in the mystery side-plot that is finding Rosie’s father and I couldn’t wait to find out who’s it going to be. Still, I’m quite sad that it got resolved within three pages after the main plot got more important - which the story definitely doesn’t deserve. The plot is nice and never boring, there is little to no filler.

Characters 4/5:

Don Tillmann is a pretty weird dude. The closest thing comparable to him that I can think of, would be Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory. That man has massive OCD, measures everything and tries to explain everything with science. Compassion? Eh. Not his problem what other people do. Being emotional? Superflus. Friends? Optional.

He’s weird and that’s why I learned to love him. It’s always entertaining to have a main character that thinks so differently from the average human, that it makes you laugh and rethink your own values and the reasoning behind them. Simsion pulls this off flawlessly in a way no one else could have. Many authors try to make their characters into something special but end up creating Mary Sues and Gary Stus. But not in this novel. Almost every character is developed to perfection and you can simply tell while reading. Diverse, interesting characters with different ways of thinking that just make this novel extremely lively. Why am I not giving 5/5 then? Because, tragically, the main characters had zero chemistry. Absolutely zero. I don’t think they were in love and the way Don was portrayed, I’m pretty sure he is aromantic asexual. He even implied this several times throughout the novel by saying he’s incapable of love. But that is all up to interpretation.

Overall: Do I recommend?

Yes, yes, yes! Especially to aspiring authors. The character building and development is excellent, the language as well and just overall an insanely well-planned love. Only the plot was neglected a bit along the way, but it’s a great novel. Honestly, read it.

Originally published on my blog. www.bookavid.tumblr.com ( )
  bookavid | Aug 30, 2014 |
Professor Tillman wants to get married. There are a few obstacles though. He doesn't act the way people expect him to. He is completely honest and he can't see the damage he makes with his honesty.
Next, he can't seem to get a break with women. He always does something unexpected that makes them leave.
You see, the professor is autistic. His days and activities, from how many hours (minutes) he gets to sleep to what he buys and cooks on a particular day, are all planned.
Since the book is written in the first person, you get to know the professor quite well. So, in order to get himself a wife he makes a questionnaire. Enter Rosie and the comedy of errors can start.

I liked the occasional humour. His thoughts can be quite entertaining. On dating: 'the probability of success did not justify the effort and negative experiences.'
I loved his rare relationships. He took care of an elderly neighbour Daphne until she stopped recognizing him.
But I hated this: 'It was unlikely that her profession as waitress and barmaid was consistent with the specified intellectual level. There was no point in continuing?'

Rosie is a cardboard character. I don't know much about her after reading this book. Now I see there is a second book with added drama, and it is possible she would be better developed there, but I have no desire to read it. There is a happy ending, move along. Don't create additional problems. Write about someone else.

Most women don't have any depth here. The characters mention feminism a lot, but they are more mildly mocked than anything.The academics don't fare any better either.

What I disliked the most is that Don Tillman changed in a course of a few days as if those were just his quirks. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
This book was an absolute delight to read. I demolished it in two sittings and was very impressed with this debut author's interpretation of the romantic plight of a man who happens to have Aspergers (or so we are led to believe). The book was funny, intelligent and well written. I enjoyed this immensely. ( )
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

Don Tillman is getting married. He just doesn’t know who to yet.

But he has designed the Wife Project, using a sixteen-page questionnaire to help him find the perfect partner. She will most definitely not be a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also fiery and intelligent and beautiful. And on a quest of her own to find her biological father—a search that Don, a professor of genetics, might just be able to help her with.

The Wife Project teaches Don some unexpected things. Why earlobe length is an inadequate predictor of sexual attraction. Why quick-dry clothes aren’t appropriate attire in New York. Why he’s never been on a second date. And why, despite your best scientific efforts, you don’t find love: love finds you.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible