The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.

English (135)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (142)
I could have read this book for ever. The main character Don Tillman, is one of those classic characters who jump out of the pages and make themselves part of your life. I loved the style of writing, it was honest and so perfectly in keeping with the character….BRILLIANT. ( )
1 vote Fliss88 | Jul 13, 2014 |
While not so profound, this was a delightful book from the point of view of a highly intelligent professor on the Asperger's spectrum. Lots of funny moments that were not cruel in intent. Fun. ( )
  midwestms | Jul 12, 2014 |
Don Tillman had always been a bit of a misfit. His Asperger's played right into his love of science, and he became a highly respected professor of genetics at an Australian university. Thinking it time to acquire a wife, Don devised a questionnaire to help him find the perfect woman. Filled with requirements like "punctual", "organized", "nonsmoking", and "eats kidneys". Then his only male friend sends Rosie to meet him, and all bets are off. Totally unacceptable for marriage, the woman smokes, for God's sake, and is never on time--nonetheless they continue to work together, trying to determine the identity of Rosie's biological father through genetic testing. What happens is a love story for the ages, and a funny one, to boot! I loved being inside the mind of a rule-bound AS guy who thinks like this, while describing shopping at the outdoor market: "..it is not possible to time-share major intellectual activity with the purchasing process, owing to the quantity of human and inanimate obstacles: vegetable pieces on the ground,...Fortunately I am usually the only jogger." Out of the blue, totally unpredictable comments like this made me laugh aloud, as my husband will attest. This is a great story--read it! ( )
  alexann | Jul 11, 2014 |
I thought this book was great fun. It was a silly yet heart warming love story about two "unsuitable" people. The Rosie Project was the perfect antidote to a very stressful week. ( )
  Jillian_Kay | Jul 10, 2014 |
I read it till the end although missed many paragraphs throughout the book. Not for me. Romantic love story, predictable story line. Very different from The curious incident which allow the reader to have an insight in the life of an autistic boy. Here the romance takes over. Will not recommend it to anyone.
  Lacroze | Jul 6, 2014 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

Don Tillman is getting married. He just doesn’t know who to yet.

But he has designed the Wife Project, using a sixteen-page questionnaire to help him find the perfect partner. She will most definitely not be a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also fiery and intelligent and beautiful. And on a quest of her own to find her biological father—a search that Don, a professor of genetics, might just be able to help her with.

The Wife Project teaches Don some unexpected things. Why earlobe length is an inadequate predictor of sexual attraction. Why quick-dry clothes aren’t appropriate attire in New York. Why he’s never been on a second date. And why, despite your best scientific efforts, you don’t find love: love finds you.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible