The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

2,0962093,147 (4.07)240
Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (195)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (204)
Can someone whose never been on a second date, someone who is socially awkward and can count all of his friend on on hand, ever be capable of feeling love?

That's what Don Tillman a professor of genetics has set out to prove or to disprove.

"The Wife Project" has become Don's mission, he enlists the help of his best friend Gene and Gene's wife Claudia to help him with the social aspects of dating and he creates a questionnaire for women he might potentially be interested in to fill out, thus eliminated the wasted time he would have spent on someone who down the road revels that they are a smoker or only like one flavor of ice cream.

However finding a wife that meets all of Don's requirements is proving to be more of a challenge than previously anticipated.

When Don meets Rosie, a feisty redhead who works as a barmaid and who has her own mission "The Wife Project" suddenly takes the back burner, replaced by "The Father Project".

While helping Rosie find the true identity of her father Don begins to have feelings for her that he doesn't quite understand. He can't be falling for her, she's a smoker for heavens sake, but none the less when it's time to part ways Don isn't ready to say goodbye.

I really enjoyed this book, it was so different from other books that I've read. Don had such a unique voice and when the book ended I immediately missed it.

I loved his schedules and rituals and how Rosie pulled him outside of his comfort zone without trying to change him or make him feel like he didn't belong unless he conformed.

While I'm not an expert on The Big Bang Theory (as I have only seen a couple episodes) I can see how people who like the show and Sheldon will love this book and it's protagonist.

"The Rosie Project" is a fun, light, laugh out loud funny, read that I'm sure many people can and do relate to.

Keep an eye out for my upcoming review of the sequel "The Rosie Effect".

Until next time,
Ginger ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Jan 26, 2015 |
This book is purely for entertainment and does its job well, that is, if you like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, which I do. It drags out a little at some points, but still, I’d recommend it (again, specifically to Sheldon fans!). ( )
  VictoriaCaro | Jan 23, 2015 |
The majority of Book Club enjoyed this and are waiting for the next book about this couple. ( )
  EllenH | Jan 22, 2015 |
I missed this one when it came out. For some reason I was under the mistaken impression it was about Rosie O'Donnell. In reality it's a chick lit romance featuring a brilliant genetics professor with Asperger's and the unconventional Rosie of the title. After the last couple of books I read I was ready for something lighter and this quick read filled the bill perfectly. On the surface Don and Rosie seem like polar opposites but it turns out that together they make each other better. This book reminded me a lot of Someone Else's Love Story, which I read last year. I am looking forward to the couple's further adventures in The Rosie Effect. ( )
  arielfl | Jan 22, 2015 |
Take one analytical-minded professor. Add one spontaneous, undercover barmaid, and the result is a bubbling mix of hilarity and truth. Some things just cannot be predicted or deduced. Don Tillman decides to find a wife by the scientific method, but instead, he finds Rosie, who is everything he didn’t want. Meanwhile, Rosie has her own agenda, and thinks that Don is just the person she needs. This is an experiment that not only doesn’t fail, it succeeds in the most skewed fashion. Just like you can’t compress water, you can’t predict love, no matter what method you use or how hard you try. A delightful tale you will fall in love with. ( )
  Maydacat | Jan 19, 2015 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

Don Tillman is getting married. He just doesn’t know who to yet.

But he has designed the Wife Project, using a sixteen-page questionnaire to help him find the perfect partner. She will most definitely not be a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also fiery and intelligent and beautiful. And on a quest of her own to find her biological father—a search that Don, a professor of genetics, might just be able to help her with.

The Wife Project teaches Don some unexpected things. Why earlobe length is an inadequate predictor of sexual attraction. Why quick-dry clothes aren’t appropriate attire in New York. Why he’s never been on a second date. And why, despite your best scientific efforts, you don’t find love: love finds you.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,131,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible