The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Project (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Graeme Simsion

2,2062202,943 ()273
Member:claireh18
Title:The Rosie Project
Authors:Graeme Simsion
Info:Michael Joseph (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:*****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (2013)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (aliklein)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (JGoto)
    JGoto: A teenage narrator with Aspergers syndrome. This one is a young adult novel.
    Something Missing by Matthew Dicks (xollo)
    xollo: The main characters in each book are similar: both have aspergers-like qualities and both are odd (and totally obsessed with their schedules) but completely endearing. And while the love story is center stage in THE ROSIE PROJECT, there's a sweet love story in SOMETHING MISSING too.… (more)
    Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer (Anonymous user)
    House Rules by Jodi Picoult (Cecilturtle)
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Pigletto)
    Addition by Toni Jordan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Starring appealing but tightly controlled protagonists who struggle with social relationships, these heartwarming and humorous novels (both by Australian authors) explore unexpected chances at love and the emotional growth that results.… (more)
    Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman (vimandvigor)
    vimandvigor: Socially awkward narrators (convinced they're not meant for romantic attachments) fall in love with women who are their opposites but turn out to be perfect matches.
    Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books feature brilliant geneticists with Aspergers and screwy females who need genetic assistance.
    The Humans by Matt Haig (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Unreliable narrators observing "normal" human behavior create a lot of the humor in both of these books. The comedy in The Rosie Project isn't as dark as in The Humans.
    The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd (Ciruelo)
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (DerBuecherwurm)
    Love and Other Dangerous Chemicals by Anthony Capella (aliklein)
    Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (foggidawn)
    The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband by David Finch (JenMDB)
    The Seducer's Diary by Søren Kierkegaard (Hermess)

English (208)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (217)
It's been awhile since I laughed out loud so much while reading a book. This was funny, It was insightful. It was beautiful. It's made my favorite books of 2013 list that's for sure. ( )
  michele.juza | Feb 25, 2015 |
Eem uiteindelijk wat tegebvallend boek. Het begon wel leuk, maar werd wat voorspelbaar op het eind, met veel verwarrende personen bij de zoektocht naar Rosies vader. Een aardig tussendoortje, niet meer dan dat. ( )
  elsmvst | Feb 22, 2015 |
Description: MEET DON TILLMAN, a brilliant yet socially challenged professor of genetics, who’s decided it’s time he found a wife. And so, in the orderly, evidence-based manner with which Don approaches all things, he designs the Wife Project to find his perfect partner: a sixteen-page, scientifically valid survey to filter out the drinkers, the smokers, the late arrivers.

Rosie Jarman is all these things. She also is strangely beguiling, fiery, and intelligent. And while Don quickly disqualifies her as a candidate for the Wife Project, as a DNA expert Don is particularly suited to help Rosie on her own quest: identifying her biological father. When an unlikely relationship develops as they collaborate on the Father Project, Don is forced to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie—and the realization that, despite your best scientific efforts, you don’t find love, it finds you.

Arrestingly endearing and entirely unconventional, Graeme Simsion’s distinctive debut will resonate with anyone who has ever tenaciously gone after life or love in the face of great challenges. The Rosie Project is a rare find: a book that restores our optimism in the power of human connection.

Thoughts: This was this month's Book Club pick. I actually recommended it since I had this weird inexplicable urge to do a Valentine's theme for February. I hate Valentine's so I don't know what got into me. Anyway, I'd head that this was fun and charming so we decided to give it a try.

And I did find it fun and charming. I know a few people similar to Don, maybe not as extreme, but with related tendencies that can make life difficult. I liked Don. I liked how he was able to analyze himself as well as others without much judgement.

But one thing kept bothering me: I don't like how Simsion portrays Don's ability to change. Don just decides that some of his lifelong quirks aren't compatible with his goals so he changes them with almost no fallout? If Simsion really is trying to represent someone on the Autism spectrum, I think this is a bad way to go with the story. For many people on the spectrum, making those kinds of changes would have come with overwhelming anxiety and stress, not a casual dismissal.

I was also starting to worry about the message this book was sending, that changing yourself for someone else made you a better and happier person. I read a little preview of the sequel, The Rosie Effect which mostly relieved my fears, but I wish this book was a little less content to show that being someone you aren't will make you happier.

But this review is harsher than I meant it to be. I did enjoy reading this. There are many quite hilarious scenes and most of the characters are likeable and genuine (except maybe Gene). And I am curious enough about what happens next that I already put the next one on hold.

Rating: 3.6

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 3.5

http://www.librarything.com/topic/185456#5064646 ( )
  leahbird | Feb 21, 2015 |
Entertaining with some insight into Asperger syndrome. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Feb 17, 2015 |
I loved the socially awkward, scientific character of Don Tillman - the way in which he viewed the world was so charming and refreshing.

The first half of the book was really good but the remainder of it lost its way, I hated how Don went on and on about analysing himself, his behaviour and emotions - it really started to become dull. Rosie's 'father project' could have been cut way down, it seemed a bit long.

I liked the ending for sure as predictably Don got the girl in the end but it was not an interesting enough of a story to make me want to read further in the series; which is a shame as it held a lot of promise. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
It’s cheering to read about, and root for, a romantic hero with a developmental disorder. “The Rosie Project,” Simsion’s debut and a best seller in his native Australia, reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol.
added by SimoneA | editNew York Times, Gabriel Roth (Oct 18, 2013)

The debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer, The Rosie Project is a romantic comedy with sublime character precision and soppy but gratifying genre fulfilment...It's easily as impressive as in an obvious predecessor, Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Second, The Rosie Project is extremely funny. The reader is in a privileged position, able to see Don's faux pas when he doesn't, but also has a huge amount of affection for the character, whose dispassionate view of illogical social norms is captured with snort-inducing deadpan accuracy. Warmly recommended.

Whether we become what we are through our genes or through our experiences in life is the old chestnut that this debut novelist tackles with refreshing originality, wit and verve...Filled with engaging specificities of character and setting, the professor's struggle to understand the "fundamental, insurmountable problem of who I was" also becomes a poignant universal story about discovering how best to reconcile logic and emotion, head and heart, and connect our lives with others.

Graeme Simsionprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Grady, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rod and Lynette
I may have found a solution to the Wife Problem.

When Don Tillman, a genetics professor, decides it is time to get married, he devises a scientific survey designed to filter out undesirables, calling it the "Wife Project." When Don meets Rosie Jarman, she is quickly eliminated as wife material, but when he assists Rosie in a search for her biological father, he discovers that love finds you, not the other way around.
Criteria set / Rosie fails all, but love blooms / It's incredible (LynnB)

Don Tillman, a professor of genetics, sets up a project designed to find him the perfect wife, starting with a questionnaire that has to be adjusted a little as he goes along. Then he meets Rosie, who is everything he's not looking for in a wife, but she ends up his friend as he helps her try and find her biological father.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,692,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible