NO MERCY by Wendy Cartmell

NO MERCY (edition 2012)

by Wendy Cartmell

431,664,912 (3.83)None
Authors:Wendy Cartmell
Tags:Sergeant Crane, murder mystery, crime fiction, short stories

No Mercy (A Sgt Major Crane crime thriller) by Wendy Cartmell

Wendy Cartwell’s No Mercy offers a collection of short stories with the first one introducing the titular character of the author’s novel series. The stories are quick and dark, though surprisingly not a fast read, despite the urgency of swift tense changes, and immediacy of references to war in Afghanistan. There’s a veritable sergeant-majorly sense of care in attention to details of scenes, crime scenes, and characters’ backstories and clothing. And each tale has a satisfying sting in the tail, tinged with horror perhaps, sometimes guessed and sometimes well hidden.

Wounded women are frequently placed in the driving seat of these tales, and there are some fascinating characters, good and bad. But for me, the best part of this book is the preview of a longer novel offered at the end. I really wished I could read more.

Disclosure: The book was free and I’d heard of the series, but haven’t read any of the novels. I’m offering my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Feb 12, 2015 |
*Book source ~ Many thanks to the author for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

No Mercy has five short stories and an excerpt from Steps to Heaven, the first book in the Sgt Major Crane series.

Well-written and easy to fit into about 10 or 15 minutes of free time, each story is a good read. Short stories are my Achilles Heel. I have a hard time writing about them without giving anything away. So I will just say that I enjoyed each one. I’m not exactly sure which genre they are other than fiction, but I would feel most comfortable slotting them under suspense.

I’ve already read Steps to Heaven, so I skipped the excerpt, but of the five shorts I’d say that What If…? was my favorite. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Dec 7, 2013 |
Short stories are a lovely way to get a taste of the novelist's art. There are 4 skilfully crafted stories in this small volume.

I've previously reviewed Wendy Cartmell's first novel STEPS TO HEAVEN and throughly enjoyed it as I did these short stories. What else can I say? Look for this short very inexpensive volume. ( )
  smik | Jan 15, 2013 |

Wendy Cartmell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,957,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible