Inferno by Dan Brown

Inferno (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Dan Brown (Author)

Member:EDHSLC
Title:Inferno
Authors:Dan Brown (Author)
Info:Doubleday (2013), Edition: First Edition, 480 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library

Inferno by Dan Brown (2013)

The Last Cato by Matilde Asensi (vpfluke)
    vpfluke: Both books are thrillers where the main characters follow trails taken from Dante's Divine Comedy
    The Population Bomb by Paul R. Ehrlich (bks1953)
    Dante: The Divine Comedy (Landmarks of World Literature) by Robin Kirkpatrick (bks1953)

English (333)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (2)  All (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All (365)
Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon's fourth adventure 'Inferno' turns out to be more of a thriller-action movie script rather than a novel. It's fast, it's kaleidoscopic, it's dramatic. One may find 'Inferno' as a silhouette of 'The da Vinci Code' against the scintillating background of 'typical Dan Brown conspiracy theory'. From the previous experiences, you certainly remember Langdon's terrifically accurate memory and his profound knowledge of art. To make the battle fair, at all, you need a real smart villain who could possibly stand a chance against Langdon. A worthy contender. Thus, the blessedly brilliant yet a maniac scientist Bertrand Zobrist makes his grand entrance. And Robert Langdon simply can't work with normal people! He has quite an eye for picking up the incredibly intelligent heroines. Bingo! There you get Sienna Brooks, a flashing beauty with an IQ of 208. Three of the most smart people on the same boat, what else do you need? A little history of art and an intricate sabotage plot maybe? That's what, in a nutshell, 'Inferno is.

Based on history's one of the greatest poets Dante Alighieri's masterpiece 'The Divine Comedy', 'Inferno' is written. Well, at least, figuratively. In Divine Comedy, Dante made his travel through Hell (Inferno) and Purgatory to reach to the Paradise (Paradiso) finally, making a notion that one has to suffer Hell in order to enjoy Heaven. In the novel, the 'transhumanist' scientist Zobrist wants to raise a hell on Earth by 'eliminating' a portion of the overgrown global population with the help of his engineered virus, only to make the Earth a more habitable place; a true Paradise. Now it's entirely up to Robert Langdon. Can he save the world? In this mission Langdon had to run from USA to the historic cities of Italy and Turkey. He had to experience amnesia for which his memory for one whole day gets lost, an unbelievable event considering his eidetic memory. Car chase, gunfire, deception, nameless 'master of puppets' and what not; you've got a complete Hollywood package. I might add that the philosophy of demolishing today's millions for saving tomorrow's billions is indeed intriguing and may give you some food for thinking.

Myriad of information and references made the book a little boring at times. There were over dramatizations and there were pieces that don't fit together but, nevertheless, Dan Brown is a good storyteller and he manages to keep you glued to the book anyway. The plot probably suits best for a giant screen cineplex than paper books and I'm eagerly waiting to see Tom Hanks, again, in the 2015 movie adaptation.

P.S: I want to thank Dan Brown specially for one particular dialogue by Sienna Brooks and here it goes like this, "....but unfortunately, I've learned to expect the worst from people who hold power." Dude, you just read my mind! ( )
  Shaker07 | May 18, 2017 |
Captivating characters, intricate, yet believable and easy to follow plot, that pulls you in and doesn't let go until the very end and leaves you thinking, pondering, and questioning! I really enjoyed Inferno. ( )
1 vote blmyers | May 15, 2017 |
This schlocky thriller is written in a fairly sophomoric way. I read it, however, because we are about to take a trip to Italy, and I was using it as an introduction to the art and architecture we will see. In that respect, it was quite rewarding. I also appreciated the analysis of the great poem by Dante, “The Divine Comedy.” But the writing otherwise was a bit hard to take, and the story was way over the top. ( )
  nbmars | May 3, 2017 |
Although often criticized for his repetition of the same story line, Dan Brown has once again done what he has set out to do, i.e. entertain. As quick paced as his other stories, 'Inferno' was highly entertaining and Brown's intricate story line keeps you guessing until the end. ( )
  JEPartrick | May 2, 2017 |
Very entertaining! Maybe this book was not in the same league as its literary brothers: angel and demon & da Vinci code. However, it still keeps you guessing until the end, teaching while having fun. I waited for the illustrated version for a year and I am glad I did. It makes it a lot easier to follow when you see the illustrations of hints.

On a personal note, I loved the book ended in my home country ;) it was great to see read turkish words, historical places. And for a change I got the clue before they gave it out (spoiler: sunken palace) ( )
1 vote soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
... there is the sense of play that saves Brown's books from ponderousness, even when he is waxing wise about some ancient mystery or architectural wonder.

Renowned author Dan Brown hated the critics. Ever since he had become one of the world’s top renowned authors they had made fun of him. [...] The critics said his writing was clumsy, ungrammatical, repetitive and repetitive. They said it was full of unnecessary tautology. They said his prose was mired in a sea of mixed metaphors.

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carole DelporteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dominique DefertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.
FOR MY PARENTS ....
I am the Shade. (Prologue)
«… Nell'uomo, la negazione è un fattore importante nei meccanismi di gestione dello stress. Se non ci fosse, ci sveglieremmo ogni mattina terrorizzati al pensiero di tutti i modi in cui potremmo morire. Invece la mente umana blocca ogni nostra paura esistenziale concentrandosi sugli stress che riesce a gestire, come per esempio arrivare in ufficio in orario o pagare le tasse. Se ci vengono in mente paure esistenziali più ampie, le rigettiamo subito e torniamo a concentrarci su compiti semplici e banalità quotidiane».

Dan Brown's new novel, Inferno, features renowned Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon and is set in the heart of Europe, where Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centred around one of history's most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces.

In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centered on one of history's most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces--Dante's "Inferno"--as he battles a chilling adversary and grapples with an ingenious riddle.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,391,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible