Inferno by Dan Brown

Inferno (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Dan Brown (Author)

Member:GVassmer
Title:Inferno
Authors:Dan Brown (Author)
Info:Doubleday (2013), Edition: First Edition, 480 pages
Tags:SFF

Inferno by Dan Brown (2013)

The Last Cato by Matilde Asensi (vpfluke)
    vpfluke: Both books are thrillers where the main characters follow trails taken from Dante's Divine Comedy
    The Population Bomb by Paul R. Ehrlich (bks1953)
    Dante: The Divine Comedy (Landmarks of World Literature) by Robin Kirkpatrick (bks1953)

English (373)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (7)  German (6)  Italian (5)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (408)
I found Da Vinci Code enjoyable, ditto for Angels and Demons. The premise for Lost Symbol was just...not for me and this one was just bad from the get go. Sloppy writing and editing combined with a completely unbelievable situation. I made it about 2 chapters in before deciding to cut my losses. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
Mayores de 18 años
  Alba26 | Aug 22, 2019 |
As with the other books in the series, this book keeps the pages turning. Some of the theories Brown presents are out there, but it makes for entertaining reading if you take them with a grain of salt. The movie has quite a different ending than what originally is in the book. I won't spoil it by telling what happens, but suffice to say it really surprised me that they changed the ending so drastically. Yes, there is that thing called artistic license, but really to change it that much is almost a sin. If Dan Brown was okay with it, I really would be surprised (unless he was given a nice sum of cash to sway his vote). ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book very much. It was just a fun read. The fact that Robert Langdon has amnesia in this book works for me. It allows the reader to experience the discovery with Robert. Figuring out what is going on and who to trust is half the fun of the book. I will admit, at the end of the book when revelations are coming fast and quick, I was a little annoyed by some of them. But my overall feeling towards this book was that I liked it. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed The DaVinci Code.

One of my favorite things about the book was the setting in Italy. I have never been there, but the writing made me feel as if I was. One thing I like about Dan Brown's books is I always feel like I learn something interesting. This time there were lots of interesting facts about Dante's Inferno, overpopulation and Italy itself. I am happy that I read this book. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
When Robert Langdon wakes up in a hospital, he doesn’t realize he’s in Italy and when he finds that out, he has no recollection of why he’s there or how he got there. He quickly finds out someone has shot him in the head, and whoever it is is still coming after him! He and a doctor helping him escape together and try to find out why he is there and why someone is trying to kill him.

I quite liked this. It did slow down for me in the middle, but it picked up again at the end. I almost never say this, but I was, in this instance, cheering for the bad guy! ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 7, 2019 |
"In short, Dan Brown’s “Inferno” is the kind of satisfying escapist read that summers were made for."

... there is the sense of play that saves Brown's books from ponderousness, even when he is waxing wise about some ancient mystery or architectural wonder.

"Unfortunately, at other times the book’s musty passageways seem to be not so much holding history up as sagging under its weight."

"To the great relief of anyone who enjoys him, Mr. Brown winds up not only laying a breadcrumb trail of clues about Dante (this is “Inferno,” after all) but also playing games with time, gender, identity, famous tourist attractions and futuristic medicine."
added by bookfitz | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (May 12, 2013)

Renowned author Dan Brown hated the critics. Ever since he had become one of the world’s top renowned authors they had made fun of him. [...] The critics said his writing was clumsy, ungrammatical, repetitive and repetitive. They said it was full of unnecessary tautology. They said his prose was mired in a sea of mixed metaphors.

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carole DelporteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dominique DefertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.
FOR MY PARENTS ....
I am the Shade. (Prologue)
«… Nell'uomo, la negazione è un fattore importante nei meccanismi di gestione dello stress. Se non ci fosse, ci sveglieremmo ogni mattina terrorizzati al pensiero di tutti i modi in cui potremmo morire. Invece la mente umana blocca ogni nostra paura esistenziale concentrandosi sugli stress che riesce a gestire, come per esempio arrivare in ufficio in orario o pagare le tasse. Se ci vengono in mente paure esistenziali più ampie, le rigettiamo subito e torniamo a concentrarci su compiti semplici e banalità quotidiane».

Dan Brown's new novel, Inferno, features renowned Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon and is set in the heart of Europe, where Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centred around one of history's most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces.

In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centered on one of history's most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces--Dante's "Inferno"--as he battles a chilling adversary and grapples with an ingenious riddle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,108,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible