The Killing of Worlds by Scott Westerfeld

The Killing of Worlds

by Scott Westerfeld

This is the 2nd half of Succession and concludes the story started in The Risen Empire.

Both books are very well written and entertaining. I've already gotten a couple of other books by Scott Westerfeld for my TBR pile. ;-) ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 6, 2016 |
As the sequel to [b:The Risen Empire|267022|The Risen Empire (Succession, Book 1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Z6WN21H4L._SL75_.jpg|1641114], this book deals with the aftermath of the battles in the first, although there is one skirmish in space that stands out. In The Killing of Worlds, the emphasis is a little more on the political and personal side, which I loved. The last few scenes are particularly wonderful. Westerfeld reads a bit like Nancy Kress; he's really good at combining innovative yet realistic science with multi-faceted, interesting characters and believable societies. I was particularly impressed with the multitude of perspectives he brought to the story without ever losing his focus.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Much like the first one in the series, I can see where some people would really really like this book, but it just wasn't totally my thing. It was all right - I read the sequel because I had gotten both of them before reading either, and I wanted to finish the story. Unfortunately (for me), it doesn't really seem like the end. I'm not sure if Westerfeld is planning more books in this series, but there are plenty of open plot lines.
It's a very tech-y kind of sci-fi, with lots of intricate details about space weaponry and battle tactics. If you're into the hardware, you'll probably like this. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
To Justine, with whom I have a genuine and continuing relationship
The contrail of a supersonic aircraft blossomed weakly in the thin, dry air, barely marking the sky.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765347490, Mass Market Paperback)

Scott Westerfeld, the acclaimed author of Fine Prey, Polymorph, and Evolution's Darling, reached new heights of excitement in The Risen Empire, and left readers begging for more. Now he comes through with the dazzling payoff in book two of Succession, The Killing of Worlds.

Captain Laurent Zai of the Imperial frigate Lynx is a walking dead man. Unjustly held responsible for the death of the Child Empress, sister of the immortal Emperor, Zai has been sent to fight an unwinnable battle. The Lynx must stop a vastly superior Rix ship from reaching the planet Legis, a suicide mission that will almost certainly end in oblivion for Captain Zai and his crew.

On the planet Legis below, a Rix compound mind--a massive emergent AI formed from every computer on the planet--as been isolated by their Imperial blockade. But the mind has guided a lone Rix commando, Herd, to the planet's frozen north, and will soon order a desperate attempt to seize a polar communications array and break the blockade. Herd is a single warrior against an Imperial army, but moving silently behind her is the intelligence of an entire planet.

Ten light-years away, Captain Zai's true love, the psychic (some say mad) Senator Nara Oxham is engaged in a deadly game of political intrigue. From her position on the Emperor's War Council, Senator Oxham must find a way to forestall the Emperor's final solution if the blockade is broken: a nuclear strike to destroy the compound mind, which will also kill millions of Imperial citizens. She suspects that the Emperor has a hidden weakness discovered, by the mind, a secret so dangerous to his immortal dynasty that to prevent its discovery the Emperor is willing to countenance the ultimate crime. . . .

The killing of worlds.

With this powerful conclusion to the first story arc of Succession, Scott Westerfeld confirms 0his stature as one of the leading writers of high space opera.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:31 -0400)

"Captain Laurent Zai of the Imperial frigate Lynx is a walking dead man. Unjustly held responsible for the death of the Child Empress, sister of the Immortal Emperor, Zai has been sent to fight an unwinnable battle. The Lynx must stop a vastly superior Rix ship from reaching the planet Legis, a suicide mission that will almost certainly end in oblivion for Captain Zai and his crew." "On the planet Legis below, a Rix compound mind - a massive emergent AI formed from every computer on the planet - has been isolated by their Imperial Blockade. But the mind has guided a lone Rix commando, Herd, to the planet's frozen north, and will soon order a desperate attempt to seize a polar communications array and break the blockade. Herd is a single warrior against the Imperial army, but moving silently behind her is the intelligence of an entire planet." "Ten light-years away, Captain Zai's true love, the psychic (some say mad) Senator Nara Oxham is engaged in a deadly game of political intrigue. From her position on the Emperor's War Council, Senator Oxham must find a way to forestall the Emperor's final solution if the blockade is broken: a nuclear strike to destroy the compound mind, which will also kill millions of Imperial citizens. She suspects that the Emperor has a hidden weakness discovered, by the mind, a secret so dangerous to his immortal dynasty that to prevent its discovery the Emperor is willing to countenance the ultimate crime... The killing of worlds."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,893,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible