The Hidden Ones: Legacy of the Watchers…

The Hidden Ones: Legacy of the Watchers (Volume 1) (edition 2013)

by Nancy Madore, Gregory Rose (Cover Design)

Member:Belindasty
Title:The Hidden Ones: Legacy of the Watchers (Volume 1)
Authors:Nancy Madore
Other authors:Gregory Rose (Cover Design)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2013), Paperback, 424 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:historical fiction, angels

The Hidden Ones by Nancy Madore

The research that must have gone into the making of this book were what made it an exceptional read. The story is a good one and I could really imagine this happening. It's a surprisingly forward thinking novel considering it takes you back thousands of years in history. The characters were riviting. The writing is excellent. I am definitely reading all three books in this series. ( )
  Melissaberry | Sep 5, 2014 |
The author sent this to me in exchange for an honest review.

The whole Watchers trilogy was a mixture of science fiction/fantasy/romance set mainly in contemporary times; I couldn't pigeonhole it into one definite genre. Any historical fiction/fantasy was based on the Lilith/Nephilim legends; they attracted me in the first place. Nadia, the heroine, CEO of a charitable nonprofit, BEACON, is kidnapped one day and taken to Saudi Arabia where she tells her kidnappers, members of a group called the Raphaelians, of her grandmother's stories and the legend of Lilith, who is trying to bring catastrophe on the world. They try to prevent it: a pandemic. We are taken back and forth from present time; to when her grandmother--the unwilling wife of a Saudi--was living; and back to the ancient days in Mesopotamia for the story of the djinn Lilith, one of the Nephilim as mentioned in the Old Testament, and her race. I did like reading about some of the Muslim culture but I fear much was negatively stereotypical. I appreciate the author's efforts and from so many positive comments I see on the reviews, I am sure there are many others who would like her trilogy, but it is not really of my interest. I had no complaints about the writing style: a yeoman effort with minimal proofing errors. I couldn't connect with any of the characters. The love interest subplot was strange. I could only read Book 2 partway then abandoned it. I understand Vol. 2 will take readers to the time of King Solomon and ancient Israel. I never even tried Book 3. I'm not interested enough to find out how the story finishes. ( )
  janerawoof | Aug 12, 2014 |
A top secret organization dating back to ancient times is investigating an act of terrorism that could cripple the United States. It all hinges on one woman and the ‘stories’ she was told when she was a young girl. As the mystery unravels, we get to go back to where it all started and this is where it really gets interesting. I have to say I have never enjoyed history so much. I’ve never really subscribed to the myths about angels or demons, but this author had me doubting my own beliefs. It was that convincing. I was impressed with the logical, down to earth approach she took. I appreciated that the author doesn’t draw conclusions about what happened. She simply lets the eye witness accounts speak for themselves. A creature they called angels visited earth and mated with women, creating an entirely new race they called nephilim. And I was equally impressed with how the author tied in the demon myths with the nephilim souls. It was completely believable. My favorite part was the narrative of one of an angel called Azazyl. This should have been corny but it wasn’t. The historical parts stole the limelight for me, and I almost dreaded going back to the present. But the two were tied together so well that it worked. I ordered the second book in the series today and I am excited to start reading. According to the reviews, Power of Gods goes back to the time of Solomon. I can’t wait to get there. ( )
  Kpsounes | Nov 13, 2013 |
Fiction is for enjoyment and not for reading a college textbook on Theology and Comparative Religion. Oh, excuse me, The Hidden Ones is not a college textbook? I hardly noticed. I read until I reached 60% on my Kindle and could not take it anymore. It was amazing that I made it that far. By the way, if you are a deeeep eep eep thinker with regards to Angels, Nephilim, sons of God and daughters of men, this book is for you. ( )
  ChandraGay | May 9, 2013 |
This book was a mixed bag for me. The historical details and explanations were amazingly detailed and accurate, but this did lead to several moments of “info dump” where the reader is told rather than shown, and that did cause the plot to lag. While I appreciate the depth of research into several elements, providing so much information and managing the intertwining stories of the 3 generationally distanced female characters required several moments where I had to stop and contemplate who was where, and what was happening. I also found myself stopping or struggling with conversations, particularly moments where dialog was being written with the ‘attempt’ at an accent. This is a particular gripe of mine: if you find a need to ‘write’ an accent or patois into a character’s conversation, understand that many readers will find that difficult to process. Unfortunately there were particular characters that were bordering on caricature in their conversation, I do think an editor should have questioned that continued inclusion.

When the story was moving forward, it was quite engaging and there were so many different elements coming into play: action, romance, old grudges and mythology. Keeping it all straight from a plotting perspective is a Herculean task, and the effort was evident. For me, however, the sheer volume of information to process made this a good, not great read.

I received an eBook copy from author for purpose of honest review for the Indie Authors Rock promotion at I am, Indeed. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.
  IamIndeed | Mar 29, 2013 |
"A fantastic read! A roller coaster ride of mythological and historical events! Intellectually stimulating! Nancy Madore's "The Hidden Ones" is a must read!"

"With gripping, tangible characters, excellent writing and a story that pulls together from through not just generations, but seemingly even different worlds, Nancy Madore uses well-researched history, mythology and theology to create an amazing story of historical fiction that leaves you craving more. It is the beginning book in a series. And after 419 pages, I’m intrigued to find out what other layers to the story could be waiting for me in the next installment."

"This intricate story weaves through the lives of three very strong women over a 5,000 years span. Author Nancy
Madore hooks you in the first few pages by dropping clues and hints that leave you wanting to keep reading until you
literally can’t read another word. She masterfully creates characters that you want to root for and hope fail at the same
time, creating a compelling story that doesn’t just push you forward but propels you to the end.

My favorite part of this book is the deeper theme of family and discovering how we define who we are when we are
rejected by the ones who created us, whether that is our god or our parents. Madore digs deep into the human psyche
with the choices her characters make as they decide how to honor, or not honor their makers."

"Everything about it was top of the line and I would have to say it is one of the best books I have read this year. I highly recommend it. Great job, Ms. Madore, keep them coming."

Nancy Madore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible