The Hidden Ones: Legacy of the Watchers…

The Hidden Ones: Legacy of the Watchers (Volume 1) (edition 2013)

by Nancy Madore, Gregory Rose (Cover Design)

20None511,395 (4.23)None
Member:Belindasty
Title:The Hidden Ones: Legacy of the Watchers (Volume 1)
Authors:Nancy Madore
Other authors:Gregory Rose (Cover Design)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2013), Paperback, 424 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:historical fiction, angels

The Hidden Ones: Legacy of the Watchers (Volume 1) by Nancy Madore

A top secret organization dating back to ancient times is investigating an act of terrorism that could cripple the United States. It all hinges on one woman and the ‘stories’ she was told when she was a young girl. As the mystery unravels, we get to go back to where it all started and this is where it really gets interesting. I have to say I have never enjoyed history so much. I’ve never really subscribed to the myths about angels or demons, but this author had me doubting my own beliefs. It was that convincing. I was impressed with the logical, down to earth approach she took. I appreciated that the author doesn’t draw conclusions about what happened. She simply lets the eye witness accounts speak for themselves. A creature they called angels visited earth and mated with women, creating an entirely new race they called nephilim. And I was equally impressed with how the author tied in the demon myths with the nephilim souls. It was completely believable. My favorite part was the narrative of one of an angel called Azazyl. This should have been corny but it wasn’t. The historical parts stole the limelight for me, and I almost dreaded going back to the present. But the two were tied together so well that it worked. I ordered the second book in the series today and I am excited to start reading. According to the reviews, Power of Gods goes back to the time of Solomon. I can’t wait to get there. ( )
  Kpsounes | Nov 13, 2013 |
Fiction is for enjoyment and not for reading a college textbook on Theology and Comparative Religion. Oh, excuse me, The Hidden Ones is not a college textbook? I hardly noticed. I read until I reached 60% on my Kindle and could not take it anymore. It was amazing that I made it that far. By the way, if you are a deeeep eep eep thinker with regards to Angels, Nephilim, sons of God and daughters of men, this book is for you. ( )
  ChandraGay | May 9, 2013 |
This book was a mixed bag for me. The historical details and explanations were amazingly detailed and accurate, but this did lead to several moments of “info dump” where the reader is told rather than shown, and that did cause the plot to lag. While I appreciate the depth of research into several elements, providing so much information and managing the intertwining stories of the 3 generationally distanced female characters required several moments where I had to stop and contemplate who was where, and what was happening. I also found myself stopping or struggling with conversations, particularly moments where dialog was being written with the ‘attempt’ at an accent. This is a particular gripe of mine: if you find a need to ‘write’ an accent or patois into a character’s conversation, understand that many readers will find that difficult to process. Unfortunately there were particular characters that were bordering on caricature in their conversation, I do think an editor should have questioned that continued inclusion.

When the story was moving forward, it was quite engaging and there were so many different elements coming into play: action, romance, old grudges and mythology. Keeping it all straight from a plotting perspective is a Herculean task, and the effort was evident. For me, however, the sheer volume of information to process made this a good, not great read.

I received an eBook copy from author for purpose of honest review for the Indie Authors Rock promotion at I am, Indeed. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.
  IamIndeed | Mar 29, 2013 |
Spectacular blending of history, mythology and adventure! ( )
  Dave4 | Feb 15, 2013 |
Every now and then you stumble into a book that stands out above the rest. For me, that is a book that make me think. The Hidden Ones is that kind of book. It is interesting and flows effortlessly, even though it literally takes you through three historical landmarks thousands of years apart. It begins in the present, with a deadly attack about to happen any minute. An innocent woman, Nadia, is the suspect. She can’t believe what is happening but once she accepts the situation she begins telling them stories about a paranormal experience her grandmother had back in 1948. At first she’s just going along to save herself, but eventually she starts believing. And I was right there with her. Madore cleverly combines real historic events with fiction so seamlessly that I could not tell which of the historical was real and what was made up. Paranormal can sometimes make me want to toss the book out the window, but Madore writes with such authority you can’t help but take it seriously. For example, one of the chapters is a narration by the leader of the fallen angels. I don’t even believe in angels but it was so convincing it gave me chills. By the end of the book, Nadia can no longer tell which side is right and which is wrong. I felt the same way. All I can say is The Hidden Ones is a unique reading experience you shouldn't miss. I got a free kindle version on Amazon, but I would like the hard copy. ( )
1 vote PaulWillett | Feb 4, 2013 |
"A fantastic read! A roller coaster ride of mythological and historical events! Intellectually stimulating! Nancy Madore's "The Hidden Ones" is a must read!"

"With gripping, tangible characters, excellent writing and a story that pulls together from through not just generations, but seemingly even different worlds, Nancy Madore uses well-researched history, mythology and theology to create an amazing story of historical fiction that leaves you craving more. It is the beginning book in a series. And after 419 pages, I’m intrigued to find out what other layers to the story could be waiting for me in the next installment."

"This intricate story weaves through the lives of three very strong women over a 5,000 years span. Author Nancy
Madore hooks you in the first few pages by dropping clues and hints that leave you wanting to keep reading until you
literally can’t read another word. She masterfully creates characters that you want to root for and hope fail at the same
time, creating a compelling story that doesn’t just push you forward but propels you to the end.

My favorite part of this book is the deeper theme of family and discovering how we define who we are when we are
rejected by the ones who created us, whether that is our god or our parents. Madore digs deep into the human psyche
with the choices her characters make as they decide how to honor, or not honor their makers."

"Everything about it was top of the line and I would have to say it is one of the best books I have read this year. I highly recommend it. Great job, Ms. Madore, keep them coming."

Nancy Madore is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible