The Secret Place by Tana French

The Secret Place (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Tana French (Author), Stephen Hogan (Narrator), Lara Hutchinson (Narrator)

Member:Bookmarque
Title:The Secret Place
Authors:Tana French (Author)
Other authors:Stephen Hogan (Narrator), Lara Hutchinson (Narrator)
Info:©2014 Tana French (P)2014 Penguin Audio audible.com
Rating:***
Tags:series, cop, mystery/detective, audio, 2014, boarding school, fiction

The Secret Place by Tana French (2014)

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books deal with the death of a teenage boy and private boarding schools in Ireland.
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (sarahx2012)
    sarahx2012: Similar elements of mystery, plus a focus on what teenage girls are capable of.
    Dare Me by Megan Abbott (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Teenage girls are more dangerous than you think.

English (113)  German (1)  All languages (114)
3.5 stars

When 16-year old Holly, a girl who attends a boarding school, goes to a detective who helped her in the past, she brings with her a card – a card with a secret. The person who wrote the card says she knows who killed Chris Harper. Chris was murdered the year before. The detective, Stephen, is a cold case detective and goes to the original detective on the case to see if they can try again to solve the murder.

I listened to the audio and liked both narrators, but I did lose interest a bit more in the girls’ voice. One of the narrators (a male) voices the parts told from the POV of Stephen. The female narrator told the story from the girls’ points of view in the time leading up to the murder, and after the murder – the bit of time until Holly goes to Stephen with the card. Overall, it was good, but not nearly as good as the other books in the series to this point, in my opinion. I do love listening to the Irish accents on the audio, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 4, 2018 |
My first Tana French, and I'll do at least one more! I love the Dublin slang and idioms, her pinpoint accuracy of the lives of privileged teenagers, flooded with money but with souls that cry out in vain for substance and sustenance. This story of a boarding school murder case gone cold for a year features Cold Case Detective Stephen Moran and Murder Squad Detective Antoinette Conway. She's about as abrasive and defensive as they come, partly justified by the blatant sexism she faces and partially just her own prickly personality. Moran's self-knowledge and internal brooding (it's his PoV) are really absorbing. The 450 pages are filled with writing that is dense, packed with detail, and not all is wrapped up neatly at the end.

Quotes: "It was beautiful. I love beautiful; always have. I never saw why I should hate what I wish I had."

"A smart-arse. That can work for us, work nicely. Smart-arses talk when they shouldn't, say anything as long as it'll come out good and snappy." ( )
  froxgirl | May 8, 2018 |
As much as I truly enjoyed Tana French's previous entry in this series (Broken Harbor) which made me want to like this one as much, it just wasn't possible.
This story centered around a near Cold Case of the murder of a teenage boy at a girl's boarding school. The characters of the girls in attendance lack dimension and made it very difficult to plow through the story. The pace was too slow in spots which made me as the reader want to say "Get on with it" and the high school girls just were too over the top caricatures of what I suppose boarding school girls are believed to be. Sadly disappointed. ( )
  cyderry | Apr 3, 2018 |
My brain often wrestles with the wonder of letters. How twenty-six letters arranged into words. Turned into paragraphs. Filling up pages. Occupying our brain. How these letters turn into wonder. How the magicians who wield them can make them dance and weave. Do their bidding and inject into us all sorts of emotions. Push us to places we would not go on our own. Poison us with thoughts and plots and people.

Tana French is a magician. She is everything I love about fiction. She hooks me into a style of storytelling that I am not always a fan of. Fiction is fickle. We all are not going to like the same thing. French often tells a story like the eating of an artichoke. You pull off the outer pieces and you eat them. They are not always completely done. Some of those outer pieces are rough but you keep digging. Piece by piece you pull off the leaves and consume them. The deeper you get into the artichoke, the better it is. The flavor expands. Your tastes buds are tickled. Than you get to the heart of it. All the prickly artichoke thorns out of the way you are presented with the fur. You know underneath it is the prize. So you carefully scrape the choke off. Then all your work is paid for with the delicious finish line.

French takes her time. I don’t always like this. Pacing is a tricky thing but all her books have this trait in common. They pick up steam and barrel to the finish line. This book was no exception. Unsurprisingly, I loved it. There always comes a point in all French books where it becomes almost impossible to put it down. You just can’t wait to see how she gets to the heart of it. She is an expert plotter and her characters are always engaging.

I don’t like to talk too much about plot because that is for you to discover. So here is my bare minimum. Young friends at a boarding school suspect that one of their own is guilty of a murder that took place a year ago. Unable to live with it any longer one of them tosses out a fishing line to hook the police back into the investigation. The story than is told through two alternating plot lines. The police investigation and the girl’s viewpoints months before the murder.

All of French’s books are stand-alone books which take place in a shared world with characters over lapping. This one is no different. While you can read it without reading any of the earlier books I would not recommend it. I think you would lose a little of the tension. So if you are fan of the series, what are you waiting for? Go read it. If you have never picked one up then head out and grab a copy of In The Woods and enjoy the ride.
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Teeters on 4 stars...will be interesting to see just *how* annoying the teenaged voices are in 10 years (quite so now).
I sometimes need to muscle through parts of her books, but always at least satisfied, if not pleased. Characters in this story are not deep - just Steven & Holly, really - but the story, takes place in 12 hours, with flashbacks, is very tight. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
For Dana, Elana, Marianne and Quynh Giao,
Who luckily were nothing like this.
There's this song that keeps coming on the radio, but Holly can only ever catch bits of it.

The photo on the card shows a boy who was found murdered, a year ago, on the grounds of a girls’ boarding school in the leafy suburbs of Dublin. The caption says I KNOW WHO KILLED HIM.

Detective Stephen Moran has been waiting for his chance to get a foot in the door of Dublin’s Murder Squad—and one morning, sixteen-year-old Holly Mackey brings him this photo. “The Secret Place,” a board where the girls at St. Kilda’s School can pin up their secrets anonymously, is normally a mishmash of gossip and covert cruelty, but today someone has used it to reignite the stalled investigation into the murder of handsome, popular Chris Harper. Stephen joins forces with the abrasive Detective Antoinette Conway to find out who and why.

But everything they discover leads them back to Holly’s close-knit group of friends and their fierce enemies, a rival clique—and to the tangled web of relationships
that bound all the girls to Chris Harper. Every step in their direction turns up the pressure. Antoinette Conway is already suspicious of Stephen’s links to the Mackey family. St. Kilda’s will go a long way to keep murder outside their walls. Holly’s father, Detective Frank Mackey, is circling, ready to pounce if any of the new evidence points toward his daughter. And the private underworld of teenage girls can be more mysterious and more dangerous than either of the detectives imagined.

"The photo on the card shows a boy who was found murdered, a year ago, on the grounds of a girls' boarding school in the leafy suburbs of Dublin. The caption says I KNOW WHO KILLED HIM. Detective Stephen Moran has been waiting for his chance to get a foot in the door of Dublin's Murder Squad--and one morning, sixteen-year-old Holly Mackey brings him this photo. "The Secret Place," a board where the girls at St. Kilda's School can pin up their secrets anonymously, is normally a mishmash of gossip and covert cruelty, but today someone has used it to reignite the stalled investigation into the murder of handsome, popular Chris Harper. Stephen joins forces with the abrasive Detective Antoinette Conway to find out who and why. But everything they discover leads them back to Holly's close-knit group of friends and their fierce enemies, a rival clique--and to the tangled web of relationships that bound all the girls to Chris Harper. Every step in their direction turns up the pressure. Antoinette Conway is already suspicious of Stephen's links to the Mackey family. St. Kilda's will go a long way to keep murder outside their walls. Holly's father, Detective Frank Mackey, is circling, ready to pounce if any of the new evidence points toward his daughter. And the private underworld of teenage girls can be more mysterious and more dangerous than either of the detectives imagined." --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,123,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible