Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse Medieval…

Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse Medieval Mysteries) (edition 1997)

by Margaret Frazer

205358,750 (3.85)2
Member:phyllis2779
Title:Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse Medieval Mysteries)
Authors:Margaret Frazer
Info:Berkley (1997), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read and disposed of
Tags:mystery

The Prioress' Tale by Margaret Frazer

This is the first book I've read of Frazer's and now I am looking for some more in this series. It's got got fascinating characters, a feel that is true to the time period and seems authentic, and a reasonably good mystery. The protagonist is very different from most other detectives, especially in the sense that she is in a very proscribed environment. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Nov 6, 2012 |
A particularly good installment of this very good series. The new abbess of the 15th century convent of St. Frideswide is not a good leader and not a good manager, and she particularly dislikes Sister Frevisse. In the midst of this, Frevisse has to contend first with unwelcome guests, and then with murder. The interactions among the sisters add another layer of interest. ( )
  annbury | Sep 9, 2010 |
This is a story which has enough interesting facts about the 1400s to hold my attention and help me feel that I'm a part of that age. The mysteries are not overwhelmingly complicated, but the characters are drawn well and live for me.
In this book, Dame Alice is Prioress and is raising havoc in the nunnery. I enjoy reading of the struggles Sister Frevisse has with her spirit and her character. They seem very true to life for me. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 23, 2009 |
The late-October days had mellowed back toward a memory of summer, warm and clear all of the week since Monday.  Only the golden slant of the early afternoon - too long and low for any summer's early afternoon - betrayed how far this year of our Lord's grace 1439 was gone.

After Domina Alys is made prioress, St. Frideswide becomes just a guest house for her relatives. But when a long-standing family rivalry ends in murder, Sister Frevisse must rid the nunnery of some murderous guests.

HISTORICAL MYSTERIES. After Domina Alys was made prioress, St. Frideswide's became little more than a guest-house for her relatives, the Godfreys. There was no peace to be had anywhere, especially for Sister Frevisse. Constantly tormented by Domina Alys, Frevisse was further dismayed to discover that St. Fridwswide's modest stores were being depleted by the Godfrey clan. When a long-standing family rivalry begins with a kidnapping and ends with a murder, it is up to Frevisse to rid the nunnery of its unwelcome- and deadly- guests.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,099,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible