The Arrivals by Melissa Marr

The Arrivals

by Melissa Marr

The Good the Bad and the Infernal (Heaven's Gate Trilogy) by Guy Adams (davisfamily)
    davisfamily: Both of these have a weird west theme. Gunslingers, bars and general western theme.

Without Goodreads I would have eventually forgotten I'd even read this book. The characters are cool (especially Kitty and Melody) but it's all over so quickly. I feel like I still don't know the world or anyone in it. ( )
  ZoeWashburne | Feb 16, 2018 |
Let's be clear on this: I loved this for all it's fluffy, action packed, steamy romance glory. This is an awesome idea and, though I wish that a more literary writer would pick up on it, this was the perfect start of summer read. Loved all the entertainment that goes with this book. Not a read for someone who is hypercritical about books: this one skimped heavily on the detail and the art of prose writing. It went straight for the action-romance-otherworld-jugular.

Read this on the beach this summer!!!! ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
Ugggggg. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Fun book, with a comic-book kind of feel.

Random people from different time periods have suddenly awakened in an alternate world with an Old West/Post-apocalyptic/Fantasy flavor. Some of these ‘Arrivals’ have banded together against a local honcho who seems rather villainous – and may have something to do with their displacement.

I thought there was a lot of potential in the scenario that Marr sets up, but the book didn’t live up to that full potential. We’re dropped into the action in media res - this situation has been going on for a while. The starting point is one woman’s ‘arrival,’ but she’s not really the ‘main character’ [it’s more of an ensemble work] and the voice is third-person. The backgrounds of the different characters are sketched very briefly, and the result is that they seem rather flat and similar, where they should be very different.

There’s some enjoyable action, drama, a bit of romance, some intriguing details about the world that Marr’s introducing, as the characters try to figure out why them, why here? (Not all questions are answered…) There’s the big showdown – and plenty left over for some sequels.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
The review said "part Matrix, part Wizard of Oz" but I think he was drinking. I would say part Western, part Dark Tower Series (which is sort of western but in an alternate universe) and Oz only if it includes Egyptology and nobody is fixed up in plaid. The story focuses on a group of people who have been pulled - by whom or what they don't know - from their own time period into an alternate universe where the locals are not quite human, monsters lurk in the desert darkness and corruption is led by a mysterious guy named Ajani. They know he's like them - from the earth they knew - but his motives seem to be greed, greed and hey, let's get Ajani some more scary things to do his bidding, eh? The group calls themselves The Arrivals (because, well, they Arrived there), each of them (with the exception of a brother-sister duo who were actually holding each other's hand when they were pulled over) is from a different era - and they travel around trying to undo some of the harm Ajani's done. There are some interesting, if varying, conditions to being in this alternate universe and I don't want to give much away. This was probably the best book I've read so far this year. I love Melissa Marr - Graveminder is another great one, but it's set here on regular Earth- and I like the American west-but-not-qjuite-like-the-history-books vibe. ( )
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, ColinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Donalty, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leverenz, AnnemiekeCover letterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Waking up in The Wasteland, a world populated by monsters and unfamiliar landscapes, and in the company of people just like her, Chloe, riddled with the guilt of five years of sobriety down the drain, and a group of strangers are trapped in an eternal afterlife and must help each other find salvation.… (more)

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,744,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible