The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by…

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (edition 2010)

by Lauren Willig

Member:SaraRosett
Title:The Secret History of the Pink Carnation
Authors:Lauren Willig
Info:Signet Select (2010), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 400 pages

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig

Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer (LucyClements)
    LucyClements: All of Georgette Heyer's novels are fantastic and like The Pink Carnation have a great humor and period feel.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (electronicmemory)
    The Luxe by Anna Godbersen (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are totally fluffy, guilty-pleasure historical romances, although The Luxe is aimed at a slightly younger audience than Pink Carnation (teens vs. adults).
    Season for Surrender by Theresa Romain (FFortuna)
    Ransom My Heart by Meg Cabot (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar humor, strong characterization, excellent writing.
    The Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips (carlyrose)
    carlyrose: Dual narratives with a female academic researching her dissertation.
    The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Brontë by Laura Joh Rowland (VictoriaPL)

English (104)  Piratical (1)  All languages (105)
Sort of an interesting start to a long series. More "chick talk" than action but the characters have promise. The males are as usual mostly gormless caricatures, probably purposely but the women, in both time periods, may develop nicely. ( )
  jamespurcell | Apr 8, 2019 |
A fun romp through Napolean's France and while there are spies there is mostly a romance. Nice leavening between more serious books. I will definitely read the next two in the series.
  hailelib | Feb 23, 2019 |
It took me a little bit to get into this story but once I did, I enjoyed it! I look forward to reading her other books. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
I found during this reread via audiobook that I didn't like it as much as I had the first time around. The contemporary sections were fine but Aimee struck me as silly and I was more aware of the aspects that I feel were anachronistic. Oh well... it was still mostly fun. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 25, 2018 |
Light, frothy satire [sometimes humorous, often silly] of the Regency Romance subgenre and of Scarlet Pimpernel. Eloise, a graduate student, travels to England to find out the real identity of the Pink Carnation, another of those flowery swashbucklers. Through the papers of the Purple Gentian's family, she discovers the identity of the Pink Carnation, who single-handedly saves England from Napoleon. Clues are strewn along the way, but the reveal is a bit surprising. Most of the switching back and forth of time periods [modern times to early 1800s back and forth] could have been skipped except beginning and end. I won't read other books in the series. I was attracted by the gorgeous cover; I guess "you can't tell a book by its cover." ( )
  janerawoof | Nov 20, 2017 |

Lauren Willigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reading, KateReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, PenguinPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gittinger, AntoinetteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
The Tube had broken down.

French ravage Europe
while romantic spy flowers
get bodices ripped.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045121742X, Paperback)

Nothing goes right for Eloise. The one day she wears her new suede boots, it rains cats and dogs. When the subway stops short, she’s always the one thrown into some stranger’s lap. Plus, she’s had more than her share of misfortune in the way of love. In fact, ever since she realized romantic heroes are a thing of the past, she’s decided it’s time for a fresh start.

Setting off for England, Eloise is determined to finish her dissertation on that dashing pair of spies, the Scarlet Pimpernel and the Purple Gentian. But what she discovers is something the finest historians have missed: the secret history of the Pink Carnation—the most elusive spy of all time. As she works to unmask this obscure spy, Eloise stumbles across answers to all kinds of questions. Like how did the Pink Carnation save England from Napoleon? What became of the Scarlet Pimpernel and the Purple Gentian? And will Eloise Kelly escape her bad luck and find a living, breathing hero all her own?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

Eloise Kelly, a Harvard scholar, travels to England to complete her dissertation, discovers the secret of the most elusive spy of all time, the Pink Carnation, his romance that nearly changed world events, and a romance of her own.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,880,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible