The Lady Mercy Danforthe Flirts with Scandal…

The Lady Mercy Danforthe Flirts with Scandal (edition 2013)

by Jayne Fresina

Member:csmorehouse
Title:The Lady Mercy Danforthe Flirts with Scandal
Authors:Jayne Fresina
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Lady Mercy Danforthe Flirts with Scandal by Jayne Fresina

There are any number of busybody matchmakers in novels. The most famous is probably Jane Austen's Emma, a meddling girl with good intentions but very fallible instincts. Jayne Fresina's Mercy Danforthe has perhaps equally decent intentions and certainly fallible instincts but this Regency-set historical fiction is no where near as satisfying a read.

Five years prior to the start of the book, Lady Mercy Danforthe eloped with Rafe Hartley, the illegitimate son of a nobleman. The two youngsters were discovered before their marriage could be consummated and the marriage was quickly and quietly annulled. Since then Rafe has harbored an intense hatred of Mercy. When Molly, Mercy's best friend and lady's maid leaves Rafe at the altar and Mercy must be the one to break the news to him, he goes off the rails, leading Mercy to declare that she'll find him another wife. In the course of this plan, she must spend more time in his presence than she has done in the preceding five years and their long tamped down attraction to each other flares into life again, hot and intense.

Mercy as a character is meddling and bossy. She is a control freak and little does Rafe know it but she's been controlling him for years, disguising herself as a wealthy, elderly benefactor in order to direct his life. She can see the ways in which he is living his own life wrongly but cannot for the life of her see the bad choices she's made in hers, not least of which is getting engaged to a dull and colorless older man. She is imperious and childish. Rafe, on the other hand, is stubborn and proud with a temper that flares like a match. He is dominant and willfully contentious. He has a great hatred, one rather unearned, for the aristocracy despite the fact that his aristocratic father tries very hard to make up for the shortcomings in his son's life. Mercy and Rafe spend much of their time fighting each other and their renewed attraction. They use verbal barbs to drive each other batty. Insults and shouting are the currency of their conflict with each other. And while it could be argued that Rafe's anger is dangerously close to love, it comes across as a violent lust which Mercy, despite being generally cool and high-handed, reciprocates.

There is nothing gentle or pleasant, or even very convincing, about their love story. As characters, they are immature, spoiled, and unpleasant. They do deserve each other. The idea of class conflict being a primary reason for their original separation had potential but when there turned out to be very little to back up the deep simmering resentment on Rafe's part, it simply cheapened the concept. As I read romances for escape, sadly this one was not one I enjoyed all that much. ( )
  whitreidtan | Feb 28, 2015 |
I really liked the two books before this one in the series, not so much this one. It was okay, but I won't be rereading it. Even though it takes place 10 years after the last one I don't feel as if the characters grew any in this book. We met both Rate and Mercy when they were just 12 and 10 years old and they were brats, more so Mercy. I actually didn't like Mercy as a little girl so I wasn't sure how I was going to find her as an adult. She was still a brat and I didn't care for her. Rate was just as bad with all the name calling. I mean act your age for cripe's sake. It was nice to see both Sophie and Ellie as mothers. ( )
  amdrane2 | Jul 2, 2013 |
LADY MERCY DANFORTHE FLIRTS WITH SCANDAL by Jayne Fresina is a Regency Historical Romance set in 1835 London. #3 in the Syndey Dovedale,but can be read as a stand alone,with re-appearing characters. Join Lady Mercy Danforthe and her ex-husband Rafe Hartley as they navigate their way from ex to passion and scandal. While, this story started out rather slow, it picks up after a few chapters. The characters are engaging,while Lady Mercy is a little self-centered,this is a fun,tale of scandal,mistakes and finding love. I enjoy this author's stories,but this one was a little slow to me and I had a hard time getting into the story. With that said, I do look forward to her next story. An interesting read!Received for an honest review from the publisher.
RATING: 3
HEAT RATING: MILD
REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More
REVIEWED BY: AprilR,Review courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Jun 24, 2013 |

Lady Mercy likes her life neat and tidy. But things start to get messy when her best friend abandons her fianc‚e at the altar, leaving it up to Mercy to help the couple. There's just one problem. The jilted man is Rafe Hartley, Mercy's former husband. Rafe has not forgiven Mercy for deserting him when they were seventeen. Their hasty marriage was declared void by law, but in his eyes she's still his wife. And Mercy "Silky Drawers" Danforthe still owes him a wedding night.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,498,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible