Promises To Keep: How Jackie Robinson…

Promises To Keep: How Jackie Robinson Changed America

by Sharon Robinson

This biography about Jackie Robinson is written by his daughter, Sharon Robinson. She retells her fathers story from when he was growing up being taught to have integrity, to become the first black major league baseball player, to being a proactive participant in the Civil Rights Movement. The story focuses on the challenges Jackie Robinson faces and how he chose to over come them. Not only did Jackie Robinson overcome discrimination in major league baseball, but he overcame inequality and harsh treatment from society throughout his entire life. ( )
  natalie.loy | Jun 3, 2014 |
Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball in 1947 when he began playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers. In this photobiography, his daughter writes a personal account of this famous athlete and civil rights activist and the legacy he has left.
  KilmerMSLibrary | Apr 30, 2013 |
Summary:
Jackie Robinson’s daughter wrote this biography to show others what he was truly like both as a father and a baseball player. He was born in a time when slavery was still common, he wasn’t supposed to become a baseball player and he knew it. The end of World War II was a changing point for baseball. Jackie Robinson played baseball for the Negro Leagues’ Kansas City Monarchs! Where Branch Rickey discussed with him to play for the dodgers. Where he then became the famous number 42!

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed this biography because I learned new facts about Jackie Robinson that I didn’t know before. Me, being a big Kansas City Royal fan I have learned a lot about Jackie Robinson making number 42 being my favorite number! He had an amazing career and changed baseball!

Classroom extension ideas:
1. During a history lesson about segregation I can pull this book out and show them what started to end segregation.
2. I could also use this story in an English lesson to have the children set a goal and tell me how they will achieve that goal!
  kimbo2012 | Mar 25, 2013 |
How Jackie Robinson changed America.
  austinwood | Sep 19, 2009 |
In memory of my beloved brother, Jack Roosevelt Robinson, Jr.
On April 12, 1947, my father, Jack Roosevelt Robinson, stepped out of the Brooklyn Dodgers dugout, crossed first base, and assumed his position as first baseman.

A warm, intimate portrait of Jackie Robinson, America's sports icon, told from the unique perspective of a unique insider: his only daughter.

Sharon Robinson shares memories of her famous father in this warm loving biography of the man who broke the color barrier in baseball. Jackie Robinson was an outstanding athlete, a devoted family man and a dedicated civil rights activist. The author explores the fascinating circumstances surrounding Jackie Robinson's breakthrough. She also tells the off-the-field story of Robinson's hard-won victories and the inspiring effect he had on his family, his community. . . his country! Includes never-before-published letters by Jackie Robinson, as well as photos from the Robinson family archives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:22 -0400)

A biography of baseball legend Jackie Robinson, the first African American to play in the major leagues, as told by his daughter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,528,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible