Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Warlock in Spite of Himself by…

The Warlock in Spite of Himself (1969)

by Christopher Stasheff

Series: Warlock of Gramarye (1)

9641313,410 (3.76)1 / 34

I loved this book in middle school. I loved this series through high school.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone else though. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Rodney Gallowglass is a spy whose job is to discover unknown planets that need to be brought into the fold of the enlightened democratic intergalactic system. When he lands on the backward planet of Gramayre in his spaceship disguised as an asteroid, Rod and his epileptic computer Fess discover a world of fantasy creatures ?? witches, ghosts, werewolves, dwarves and elves. Gramayre was originally settled by a group of humans who wanted to revert back to a feudal society. Now itƒ??s a benevolent monarchy thatƒ??s threatened by anarchists, witches, and a man who wants to be dictator. Rod suspects that the agitators are being provoked and funded by an off-world interest. He decides that setting up a constitutional monarchy will be the best way to prepare Gramayre for moving on to a real democracy. Meanwhile, the people of Gramayre think Rod is a warlock because heƒ??s got technology they canƒ??t understand.

The Warlock in Spite of Himself, published in 1969, is a humorous science fantasy. I picked it up because I like science fantasy, I knew that Christopher Stasheff collaborated with L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt whose humorous HAROLD SHEA stories I enjoyed, and, lastly, an audiobook version of The Warlock in Spite of Himself has just been released by Wild Voices.

According to the publisher, The Warlock in Spite of Himself is ƒ??sword-and-sorcery with a witty, edgy, wry twist.ƒ? Though the story is fun and action-packed, I found that The Warlock in Spite of Himself, especially this audio version, didnƒ??t live up to the publisherƒ??s promise. It was often funny, but I wouldnƒ??t call it ƒ??witty,ƒ? ƒ??edgyƒ? or ƒ??wry.ƒ? There was nothing remarkable about the prose and I thought the humor was often juvenile and most likely to be enjoyed by teens (though The Warlock in Spite of Himself, because of the sexual content, is not marketed to teens).

Besides attempting to entertain us, Stasheff also uses his story as a platform to promote democracy and a representative government. Iƒ??m all for democracy and representation but, unfortunately, Stasheffƒ??s treatment of different governmental systems is rather superficial and simplistic ƒ?? democracy=good, Marxism=bad ƒ?? without any serious discussion or explanation about what makes this so. This makes the story feel not only shallow, but also dated.

Another issue that makes The Warlock in Spite of Himself feel dated is Rod Gallowglassƒ??s attitude toward women. For a future spaceman from an enlightened intergalactic confederation, itƒ??s suspicious that his attitudes about women are congruent with those found in most 1950s American science fiction. He instantly falls in love with a woman just because sheƒ??s beautiful, laughs at the idea of asking a woman for help, thinks that men need to comfort women with lies about their relationship (ƒ??for a woman lives on loveƒ?), expects women to be weak and afraid, thinks they should be spanked when they misbehave and (if beautiful) ƒ??claimedƒ? after a man proves his worth to himself.

The Warlock in Spite of Himself is over 40 years old, so Iƒ??m not asking it to fit my 21st century sensibilities (though plenty of old SFF does), but rather Iƒ??m explaining why the novel doesnƒ??t hold up very well. I have no doubt, though, that it will be a fun and comfortable read for readers who originally encountered it and loved it a few decades ago, for readers who get nostalgic about old-fashioned science fiction, or for readers who occasionally (or always) enjoy a light, shallow, slightly silly adventure story.

The audio version of The Warlock in Spite of Himself was produced by Wild Voices and performed by a full cast. Unfortunately, this was not a good production and this may have contributed to my disappointment with the story. There are bad sound effects, inconsistent volume levels, and intrusive background music ƒ?? all of these obscure the narration. The main narrator, Dennis F. Regan, was fine (though he pronounced ƒ??demesnesƒ? like it looks), but some of the voices for the secondary characters were difficult to understand, sometimes because it felt like they were at the far end of a long tunnel. I couldnƒ??t even hear some of what Fess the computer said, even with the volume on my Audible app turned all the way up. Needless to say, I wonƒ??t be trying any more Wild Voices productions. If you decide to read The Warlock in Spite of Himself, I suggest that you read the paperback or Kindle version.

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature. ( )
1 vote Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
One of the sub-genres in the 60's was creating fantasy effects with science fiction technologies. after all "Any competent technology can appear as magic to the ill-educated" is a cliché now, isn't it? Mr. Stacheff's tale was interesting, for its time. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Dec 2, 2013 |
I had first come across Christopher Stasheff years ago with his Rogue Wizard books. The combination of sci-fi, fantasy and politics intrigued me and though the books weren't masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination they were good reads which were slightly educational.

This is the first book Stasheff wrote and the progenitor of the Rogue Wizard books so when I wanted to reread those books I decided to go back a little further and start at the very beginning.

While I didn't enjoy this as much as I did the later books I kept in mind that this was written well before them and before he had hit his stride. It was still enjoyable and a good quick read and good to see where it all began. ( )
  Shirezu | Mar 31, 2013 |
Rodney d'Armand's is a SCENT agent, whose job is to rediscover lost colonies and prepare them for re-entry into the confederation of worlds. His latest mission has taken him to the land of Gramarye, and soon realises that he has found the planet settled that was by a group that wanted to recreated Renaissance European society. So he isn't surprised to find a mismatch of architecture and customs taken from all over Europe, and a monarchy with both the aristocrats and a society of beggars on the verge of rebellion against their queen, but he is stunned to find witches on broomsticks, werewolves, ghosts, and tiny elves, and starts to suspect that the lords' suspiciously similiar-looking councillors may have off-world knowledge.

Realising that a constitutional monarchy would probably be the most stable form of government for this planet, he masquerades as a mercenary under the name of Rod Gallowglass, with his robot companion Fess occupying the body of an artificial horse, and sets out to join the queen's guard.

An enjoyable science-fiction romp, which is apparently the first book in a series.

From the back cover blurb: The lost planet of Gramarye wasn't so much evidence of galactic advances as a phoney shrine to the forgotten traditions, rites and graces of renaissance Europe. Sounds just like the SCA to me! ( )
  isabelx | Mar 15, 2011 |

Christopher Stasheffprimary authorall editionscalculated
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaughan, JackIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The asteroid hurtled in from Capricorn, nosed around a G-type sun, swerved off toward the fifth planet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441873375, Mass Market Paperback)

The groundbreaking classic that first combined technology and magic--now available in a special collector's edition, featuring a new Introduction by the author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:32 -0400)

Rod Gallowglass is a man of science who does not believe in magic. Gramarye is a world of witches and warlocks. Of strange abilities and phenomena. A world where society mirrors Earth's own Middle Ages, and a world headed for doom. Rod Gallowglass must become a part of the local fabric to save the world from both itself and external forces that threaten its existence. But to do so, he must put aside his own convictions and beliefs, and become a warlock, in spite of himself. A grand adventure mixing science fiction with elements of fantasy, this is the book that launched a whole series (fourteen books and counting).… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,485,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible