Blood of Tyrants by Naomi Novik

Blood of Tyrants

by Naomi Novik

Laurence and Temeraire are on their way back to China, but are separated in a storm that washes Laurence up on Japan's shore with no memory of the last eight years.

I had a really tough time getting into this installment. The first 100 pages are him and Temeraire separated from each other (again), and some of the plot choices just left me scratching my head. Why are we suddenly introduced to more characters in another country? Unless there's some reason that makes sense in book 9 alone, there seemed absolutely no reason for him to be in Japan at all. And I kept trying to find a good reason for Laurence to have lost his memory, or some insight that we could get from it, but all it ever really seemed to do was make much more explicit what had already been clear from reading the other books in the series - that Laurence has become a different man, not one who will blindly follow his superior officers' commands in duty, but one who has a moral compass that dictates his actions even when it goes against authority. The final third of the book had the bulk of the action, but it was too little, too late at that point. ( )
  bell7 | Nov 15, 2018 |
I think I went through the first part of this book without taking any notes at all, because I was so engrossed in the story and the interpersonal conflict between Laurence and Temeraire once they're reunited.

While at first I was a little put off by the contrivance of having Laurence lose all of his memories of Temeraire at the beginning, it was an interesting source of conflict to bring back Laurence as he was at the start of the books, and drop him into his current situation. It also really shakes up the relationship between Laurence and Temeraire on the eve of the intensification of the war; where before they were oh so careful and gentle with each other, now they are awkward, new to each other again, as Laurence fumbles his way towards an understanding of a relationship that is necessary if the two of them are to be able to work together as a team again. I found the whole arc compelling, and both heartbreaking and heartwarming.

And then Napoleon invades Russia and the series really gets back to it's roots. I really can't wait to read the final book in the series.

VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |
This is the eighth book in a fantasy series featuring Captain William Laurence and his dragon, Temeraire. We first meet them in [b:His Majesty's Dragon|28876|His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)|Naomi Novik|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1376392909s/28876.jpg|726205] which begins during the Napoleonic Wars where Laurence captures a French ship with a valuable dragon’s egg. When a dragon’s egg hatches, the young dragon needs to imprint on an aviator who then becomes responsible for his new charge.

In this book Laurence and his companions have been shipwrecked in Japan. Laurence is presumed dead by everyone except Temeraire. Eventually they are reunited but Laurence has amnesia and can't remember a thing from the last eight years which includes his time with Temeraire. The book then takes to China and Russia, where the team continues their quest for social justice.

As usual, Naomi Novik does a fantastic job of making the dragons incredibly three dimensional. The battle scenes are thrilling and you'll want your own dragon after meeting Temeraire. This series can be hit or miss and, in my opinion, the last couple have been "miss". This book was a solid hit for me and sets up the ninth and final volume of the saga, [b:League of Dragons|20404555|League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)|Naomi Novik|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1438976920s/20404555.jpg|28914655]. I hope I don't need Kleenex. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Blood of Tyrants is the eighth and penultimate book in the Temeraire series. I enjoyed it equally as much as the previous books, although a little more unevenly. I was fully engrossed for the first 75% or so, but I occasionally felt restless toward the end.

Some of the early events, though occasionally frustrating, really highlighted Laurence’s character growth throughout the series, and Temeraire’s too. I was also happy to see my favorite secondary character show back up.

This book doesn’t exactly end on a cliff hanger, but it did feel a little less wrapped-up than the previous books, setting the stage for the final events coming up next. I look forward to finding out how the series ends. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Jul 22, 2017 |
Part II and III excellent; Part I can be skipped (angst-y wandering around with amnesia in Japan without seemingly to fit into storyline at all unless the next book in series makes some unlikely use of it). ( )
  Spurts | May 24, 2017 |
To Cynthia Manson, my amazing agent and friend,
with much love and gratitude.
Water lapping salt at his cheek roused him, a fresh cold trickle finding its way into the hollow of sand where his face rested.

Shipwrecked and cast ashore in Japan with no memory of Temeraire or his own experiences as an English aviator, Capt. William Laurence finds himself tangled in deadly political intrigues that threaten not only his own life but England's already precarious position in the Far East.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible