Tuf Voyaging by George R. R. Martin

Tuf Voyaging (1986)

by George R. R. Martin

English (16)  Danish (1)  All languages (17)
Sorry, I don't remember this very well. I know my ex loves it - and I know how his taste meshes a tiny bit but mostly clashes with mine - so, my best guess is that it was a little better than ok, in my opinion. And, offering you the average of our opinions means I'm offering you a suggestion but not a recommendation. Ok, got that? Good, you're a better person than I, then! I do recall that it was not an epic like some of Martin's other books. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
...Ecology is still a subject a lot of science fiction steers clear of. Martin gives it a try in this collection but on the whole it is closer to a satirical work than a scientifically accurate one. That being said, I did enjoy reading this collection again. The humour is part of it, but I also simply enjoyed the writing. Despite writing them out of chronological order, Martin manages to get a development in the character from a humble and eccentric trader in The Plague Star to a near megomaniac Manna from the Heavens. I've seen many review stating there is no character development in Tuf. I respectfully disagree with that. It is more subtle than in some of his stories, but it is most certainly there. One other thing I appreciate about Tuf Voyaging is that it underlines that Martin is just as comfortably writhing short stories as he is writing huge fantasy novels. Martin is a versatile writer, capable of writing more then fantasy novels alone. As much as I like A Song of Ice and Fire, I still think Martin's best work is in his short fiction and Tuf is one example of that. Don't approach it as a novel and don't expect epic fantasy and you might just end up liking what Martin has done here.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Apr 12, 2015 |
Really a pretty solid, enjoyable series of linked stories, but the caricatures in the first story nearly turned me off it. You can definitely see the roots of Martin's later work in this collection. ( )
  eaterofwords | Nov 16, 2014 |
So Haviland Tuf is a middling space trader, later an excellent ecological engineer, who tools around the universe with his cats Havoc and Chaos in the most excellently named spaceship the Cornucopia of Excellent Goods at Low Prices. He manages to extract himself from all manner of potentially deadly predicaments due either to a combination of extreme naivete and extreme luck, or to a devious intelligence hidden behind the appearance of the previous two. A rival calls him "the last goddamned innocent," though as the book goes on one calls into question (or at least I called into question) this judgment.

This book was a lot of fun, and almost deceptively fun, given that the main characters are forced into some pretty chilling decisions. I'm not quite sure why it ended up feeling more like a 3-star book than a 4-star book for me -- possibly because of the structure. I've seen it described as a "fix-up novel," i.e. one made up of previously published short stories; while the individual stories work really well together, and there ultimately is an arc, the tempo still comes out a bit staccato.

If you're a Song of Ice and Fire fan... this might not be your thing. If you're a fan of fun yet thinky space opera, give it a try. ( )
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |

ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |
Witty and satirical, Tuf Voyaging is an entertaining sidestep from Martin's more serious work.

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aulisio, JanetIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Komarck, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murphy, KevinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pagel, StephenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Roger & Judy Zelazny,
who helped make Santa Fe feel like home.
Hello? Hello? Yes, I see it works. Good.

From the multiple award-winning, best-selling author of The Song of Ice and Fire series: Haviland Tuf is an honest space-trader who likes cats. So how is it that, in competition with the worst villains the universe has to offer, he's become the proud owner of the last seedship of Earth's legendary Ecological Engineering Corps? Never mind, just be thankful that the most powerful weapon in human space is in good hands-hands which now control cellular material for thousands of outlandish creatures. With his unique equipment, Tuf is set to tackle the problems human settlers have created in colonizing far-flung worlds: hosts of hostile monsters, a population hooked on procreation, a dictator who unleashes plagues to get his own way... and in every case the only thing that stands between the colonists and disaster is Tuf's ingenuity-and his reputation as an honest dealer in a universe of rogues... Tuf Voyaging interior illustrations by Janet Aulisio. Included will be her original eight illustrations, along with 28 newly commissioned ones.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:33 -0400)

"Haviland Tuf is an honest space-trader who likes cats. So how is it that, in competition with the worst villains the universe has to offer, he's become the proud owner of the last seedship of Earth's legendary Ecological Engineering Corps? Never mind, just be thankful that the most powerful weapon in human space is in good hands--hands which now control cellular material for thousands of outlandish creatures. Armed with this unique equipment, Tuf is set to tackle the problems that human settlers have created in colonizing far-flung worlds: hosts of hostile monsters, a population hooked on procreation, a dictator who unleashes plagues to get his own way...and in every case, the only thing that stands between the colonists and disaster is Tuf's ingenuity--and his reputation as a man of integrity in a universe of rogues."--from cover, p. [4]… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,070,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible