The Vessel by Rita Kempley

The Vessel (edition 2012)

by Rita Kempley

212,551,640 (4)None
Member:wortklauberlein
Title:The Vessel
Authors:Rita Kempley
Info:Birthright Publishing (2012), Paperback, 312 pages
Collections:Scifi/speculative fiction
Tags:future, cloning, skate messengers, doctor, post-hurricane New York, organ-farming

The Vessel by Rita Kempley

Recently added bysocango, wortklauberlein

Thinking a long life extended indefinitely by transfer into a succession of cloned bodies (vessels) is just the ticket for you? Nuh-uh. Margaret the sexy old doctor in the guise of a 20something finds that her skill at perpetuating youth can have surprising, and disturbing, complications. ( )
  wortklauberlein | Jan 19, 2013 |

The New York Archipelago, 2120. A man is dying, his clone missing.
His daughter must find it to save his life.

-- "Creepily Brilliant!"

-- "Smart and funny (and thrilling too!)"

-- "A razor-sharp romp that, like the best speculative fiction, is really a sly, funhouse reflection of the world today."

-- "You're confronted with some disturbing moral choices, but left laughing out loud along the way."

-- "I was intrigued on page one and hooked on page two. After the first chapter I couldn't put it down."

-- "Reminds me of some of T.C. Boyle's more outrageous novels, darkly funny, slightly preposterous and yet so so possible."

-- "Hilarious and haunting, spinning us into a future that makes today look like a cake walk."

Want to live longer? See Margaret Hughes. New York's celebutants, politically connected and idle rich swear by her. As chief neurosurgeon of the family's life-extension center, she transfers clients' memories, talents and personalities into young replacement bodies. These vessels are grown from clients' cells and nurtured to adulthood in the center's sensory-isolation chambers.

Margaret loves her work, adores her father, Morgan, and recently initiated a steamy affair with hunky medical courier, Chase Lyman. The Hughes Renewal Center, however, is increasingly under attack by the Evangelicals for Natural Death (END), who raid the center's storage hives and destroy scores of vessels.

When Morgan Hughes contracts an incurable disease and must transfer into his vessel, Margaret discovers it may have been snatched by the fundamentalist bastards. If his vessel isn't found ASAP, Morgan will die painfully. He's only 152 - much too young to go, in his humble opinion. And while searching for her father's vessel, Margaret unearths a shocking link to Chase that may hold the key to her father's survival.

-- "Reminiscent of Margaret Atwood's speculative fiction."

-- "It's a short hop from today's obsessions with youth and surgically-enhanced beauty to total body recycling, at least for the top .01 percent."

-- "One minute I'm completely creeped out and horrified. The next I'm laughing. And yes, feeling a little guilty for doing so."

-- "If you like a fast read, with wit and incredibly interesting characters and more plot than you can shake a cosmetic surgeon's knife at, you'll love The Vessel."

-- "Sign me up for renewal at The Hughes Renewal Center. I want my own vessel. Hell yeah I do."

If you enjoy Margaret Atwood, Robin Cook, Philip K. Dick or Neil Gaiman you'll love Rita Kempley's THE VESSEL.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:39:51 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,678,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible