More Than This by Patrick Ness

More Than This

by Patrick Ness

The Extremes by Christopher Priest (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: The books are well-written ones set in a near-future; beyond that they have in common a subject that entails or at least allows for confusion between memory, reality, and wishful thinking, and neither gives explanations that would resolve that confusion.

So, the first time that I read More Than This was a month before it actually came out. I was sent an ARC, I read it ravenously, and then I just sat. Sat, and thought. Patrick Ness blew my mind with this book. In fact, I could never wrap my head around how I felt enough to be able to write a review. Recently, when I saw this as a featured audio book at my library, I thought I'd pick it up and give it another shot. It had been long enough that I didn't remember exactly what happened, and I looked forward to getting lost again. I admit it, once again I'm at a total loss for an adequate review. What do you say about a book that shakes you around like a rag doll, and makes you think? You ramble I suppose. Which is what I'm about to do.

Patrick Ness is an evil genius. The way that More Than This is laid out is brilliant. I'd be following along with the story line, comfortable in the fact that I knew what was going on, and then Ness would sweep the rug right out from under me. He never let me get too settled. Instead, this story expertly cobbles together different stories that you wouldn't even think would mesh. This is a science fiction story. It's a romance. It's a contemporary. It's about love and life. Birth and death. All the beauty and utter bleakness that make up the life of one individual. It's sad, scary, and stunning. That's exactly why I don't really know what to say about it.

I think that all you really need to know is that this story isn't always easy to read. There are moments where things become uncomfortably real, and before you know it there are tears leaking from the corners of your eyes. I've always liked that Ness isn't afraid to address real issues. He knows that, as much as society loves to sweep things under the rug, teens face life shattering moments all the time. His characters feel real. You want to hug them. You want to save them. It's maddening that they're inside a book and you can't do either.

Whether you read this in book form, or listen to it on audio, I think you'll be impressed. Both are equally amazing options. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
All in all, this book was an intense emotional journey filled by a cast of vivid characters in an absolutely desolate setting that makes you question the difference between reality and perception. Ness delivers an absolutely strange story that, despite its bleak setting, presents an ultimate message of hope. Definitely a must-read.

Read more on my blog at Between-the-Shelves.com! ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
I don't think there is a way to properly word the amount of things that went through my head while reading this story. When I thought I knew what was happening, another twist was thrown at me that left me guessing and wanting more. It was absolute and utter brilliance, the writing and characters and plot. Honestly, I have been mindblown and no words can be mustered to tell you how much I love this book. ( )
  ancientbookbride | Sep 11, 2018 |
Dnf, skimmed the end. Feels like he got the idea from "The Matrix". Lots of unanswered questions. Mature content.
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
You ask a question in the mirror.
Alas, no answer could be clearer.
--Aimee Mann
Nothing fades as fast as the future,
Nothing clings like the past.
--Peter Gabriel
For Phil Rodak
Here is the boy, drowning.

A boy named Seth drowns, losing his life as the pounding sea claims him. But then he wakes. He is naked, thirsty, starving. But alive. How is that possible? He remembers dying. So how is he here? And where is this place? It looks like the suburban English town where he lived as a child, before an unthinkable tragedy happened and his family moved to America. But the neighborhood around his old house is overgrown, covered in dust, and completely abandoned. What's going on? And why is it that whenever he closes his eyes, he falls prey to vivid, agonizing memories that seem more real than the world around him? Seth begins a search for answers, hoping that he might not be alone, trapped in a crumbling, abandoned world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible