With the Lightnings by David Drake

With the Lightnings (original 1998; edition 1999)

by David Drake (Author)

Series: RCN (book 1)

Member:alpacaherder
Title:With the Lightnings
Authors:David Drake (Author)
Info:Baen (1999), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages
Rating:*****

With the Lightnings by David Drake (1998)

Recently added byTaraWood, deketchum, private library, SchrodingersKat, historysmyth, PegD, epgendreau, dachmatt

This book introduces us to one of the more intriguing pairings of science fictional couples introduces us to Daniel Leary and Adele Mundy, both scions of Great Houses of Cinnabar - one of the pre-eminent Great Powers in the rebuilding galaxy after the destruction of Earth and her Empire. Daniel is a lieutenant in Cinnabar's navy and Adele is an information specialist working as a librarian on one of the more backward worlds. Daniel is sent to Kostroma as part of a delegation sent to remind the current ruler why its a good idea to stay on Cinnabar's good side but events have spiralled to far out of control as the former rulers of Kostroma plot with the Alliance to get themselves back into power. This is full-blooded space-opera written with its own reasonably consistant internal consistancy while it harks back to the time of wind powered ships back on Earth. Rather surprisingly, the technology doesn't actually feel that out dated. ( )
  JohnFair | Jul 15, 2018 |
What a load of crap! I’m wondering if I read the same book as those other people giving it 4 and 5 stars. The first third (at least) is downright boring. A good chunk of the book is dedicated to binge drinking, disorderly behavior and vomiting. That includes the “hero”. The rest is not much better. When they are not drinking themselves senseless it’s mostly politics. The behavior of the navy personnel, including the officers, is so utterly non-professional that it’s unbelievable.

There’s a ship in space decorating the cover image. They also talk about “invasion fleet” in the book burb. There’s no fleet action whatsoever in this book. As a matter of fact, there’s almost no ship action at all except for a little show in the very end.

The technology is ridiculous. I should perhaps have become suspicious when I saw that the ship on the cover image had masts and sails like an ordinary ocean clipper. “Sponge space”? What the f…?

I was hoping this could become a new interesting series to read but now I don’t think so. I might (try to) read a second one just to see if they get any better but my hopes are not very high any more.
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
  With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary #1) This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com by express permission of this reviewer

Synopsis:
Young arrogant, rich and snotty Lt. Leary gets all pissy with his dad, gets cutoff from the family fortune, joins the space navy to spite his father and ends up saving a whole world from the badguys. And he makes a good friend of a sexy librarian.

My Thoughts:
Pure escapism. I'm usually ok with that, especially since 90% of what I read is just that. But when reading about a spoiled, uppity, privileged beyond belief brat, my working man's blood just boils sometimes and it is hard to enjoy the read.

I enjoyed the overall story of a small group of plucky heroes retaking a world from the dastardly bad guys. Lots of fun fighting, explosions, thrills and brazen and ballsy decisions. And a Librarian, with a Capitol "L". Always good in my books [hahaha]

I just didn't like Leary. I got this for free and am glad I read it but it bears out what I think of Drake already: I enjoyed his Lord of the Isles fantasy series but very little else. I just don't quite click with his stories or writing. If I can get the second book for free I'll probably try it but unless it is super-de-duper better I won't continue after that.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 Stars
Author: David Drake " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This full-length sci fi novel is pretty much Aubrey-Maturin in space (see [author:Patrick O'Brien|58430] if you don't catch the reference) and for the most part it's a great story. But the author opened the book with the two characters on the ground, first meeting, establishing the circumstances, and while he's a good action writer, David Drake isn't PoB. The psychological interaction just isn't there.

Once past that first 33%, though, the action picks up and Drake's story comes into its own. It's great and the ending's a kicker. Without that first 33% I'd give this four stars, but as it stands, we'll call it three. ( )
  GunnarGrey | Dec 3, 2014 |
Neither fish nor fowl. Spaceships in harbors, having masts, traveling in sponge-space. Slow, slow book and after 120 pages I decided to give up. I'm sure there's something better out there to waste my time on. ( )
2 vote ridouan | Dec 28, 2013 |

David Drakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ich, der ich meinen Beruf ausübe
an einem Ort, wo die Blitze entstehn...
Für A(rielle) Heather Wood, den meisten eher bekannt als DIE Heather Wood

Daniel Leary is a lieutenant in the Republic of Cinnabar Navy with no money and no prospects since he quarreled with his ruthless, politically powerful father. Adele Mundy is a scholar with no money and no prospects since her family was massacred for conspiring against the Government of Cinnabar. Kostroma is a wealthy planet which depends on diplomacy to stay independent in a galaxy whose two great powers, Cinnabar and the Alliance, battle for supremacy. In a few hours, diplomacy is going to fail Kostroma. Daniel, Adele, and the scratch crew they gather aren't much to stand in the way of a powerful invasion fleet, but just possibly they're enough.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,222,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible