Rapture practice by Aaron Hartzler

Rapture practice

by Aaron Hartzler

I really love Hartzler's writing style. I read his novel, and wanted more, and I'm so glad I found this memoir. Incredibly interesting and beautifully written. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
Apparently I'm in to memoirs about growing up in fundamentalism now. Cool. This one was more on the funny side than Girl at the End of the World, but I am going to stop the comparisons there because the two books do not really share that much ion common in tone, message, or topics.

Aaron Hartzler grew up in Missouri, going to church multiple times a Sunday, attending a Christian school, performing in evangelical plays, and never quite feeling like he fit in. He creates the "perfect son" mask and wears it the best he can, hiding his love for secular music, sneaking out to movies, watching tv, even drinking at a friend's. This book is about the soul-crushing responsibility of maintaining discrete personas with various groups of people. It is about hiding yourself so completely that maybe you can bury part of yourself where even you can't find them. And it's about the consequences of the mask falling away. It's about accepting people, loving people, as they are, even when their worldview is different from yours. And it's about giving them the chance to love you back.

Aaron Hartzler is gay. But this book wasn't about that. It was mentioned, but it was not the plot-driver of this book. I think that was one of the things that made this book so good. It managed to tell a story about bring true to yourself and showing the world who you really are, told from the perspective of a gay teen, that was not about being gay. It was certainly about questioning the status quo and how best to deal with parents,but that is a struggle for every teen, not just the gay ones. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
The memoir of growing up in a strict Baptist household. Hartzler conveys the terror of Hell and breaking the rules that his parents/church/school/camp taught, but he also gives us scenes of joy and family togetherness. It's a more nuanced description than I think most people would be able to give.

I didn't love this--there isn't much of a driving force to this book, and Hartzler isn't much of a writer. But he describes his changing mindset and the evangelical context well. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
An interesting look into a rather depressing childhood. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Hartzler recounts how he came to question and rebel against his oppresssively conservative fundamentalist Christian upbringing in his teen years, and all the intense personal and familial conflict it caused. An exceptionally well-written memoir, honest, funny, and poignant. An inspiring book for teens struggling with their own issues of independence, identity, and faith and anyone else who has shared similar experiences. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |

Aaron Hartzlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scott, SteveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rapture: noun \ 'rap-cher\

1: an expression or manifestation of ecstacy or passion.
2a: a state or experienece of being carried away by overhwelming emotion; b: a mystical experience in which the spirit is exalted to a knowledge of divine things.
3 often capitalized: the final assumption of Christians into heaven during the end-time according to Christian theology.
Belief: noun \be-'lef\: a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing.
For Ann Manev, whose faith helped me start.  For Nathan Hatch, whose love helped me finish.  And for Alice Pope, who helped with everything in between.
Something you should know up front about my family: We believe that Jesus is coming back.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031609465X, Hardcover)

Aaron Hartzler grew up in a home where he was taught that at any moment Jesus might come down in the twinkling of an eye, and scoop his whole family up to Heaven. As a kid, Aaron was thrilled by the idea that each day might be his last one on planet Earth. He couldn't wait to blastoff and join Jesus in the sky!

But as he turns sixteen, Aaron finds himself more and more attached to his life on Earth, and curious about all the things his family forsakes for the Lord. He begins to realize he doesn't want the Rapture to happen, just yet; not before he sees his first movie, stars in the school play, or has his first kiss. Before long, Aaron makes the plunge from conflicted do-gooder to full-fledged teen rebel.

Whether he's sneaking out, making out, or at the piano playing hymns with a hangover, Aaron learns a few lessons that can't be found in the Bible. He discovers the best friends aren't always the ones your mom and dad approve of, and the tricky part about believing is that no one can do it for you.

In this funny and heartfelt coming of age memoir, debut author Aaron Hartzler recalls his teenage journey to find the person he is without losing the family who loves him. It's a story about losing your faith, finding your place, and learning your very own truth--which is always stranger than fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:40 -0400)

Describes the author's coming of age in a fervently religious household that believed Jesus' return to Earth to take the faithful to heaven was imminent, recounting how his growing doubts, earthly ties, and the sacrifices required by his faith prompted his transformation from conflicted do-gooder to full-fledged teen rebel.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,536,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible