The Missing Alphabet: A Parents' Guide…

The Missing Alphabet: A Parents' Guide to Developing Creative… (edition 2012)

by Susan Marcus, Susie Monday, Cynthia Herbert PhD

531,436,638 (3.5)None
Title:The Missing Alphabet: A Parents' Guide to Developing Creative Thinking in Kids
Authors:Susan Marcus
Other authors:Susie Monday, Cynthia Herbert PhD
Info:Greenleaf Book Group Press (2012), Paperback, 288 pages

The Missing Alphabet: A Parents' Guide to Developing Creative Thinking in Kids by Susan Marcus

The parents in my daughter's preschool were asked to read this. At first, I found myself annoyed at the explanations of the importance of creativity. Then I realized I was reading it as an educator who had background on the topic and familiarity with the research presented. I didn't need convincing that kids need to play and that creativity is something that can be taught. When I stopped being an ed snob and started to read it more as a parent, it was a better book. I most appreciated the sections that gave specific actions you can take with your own kids. This is a worthwhile book if you are looking to expand your child's perspective beyond the worlds of math and reading. I also enjoy the shift in perspective the book gave me as a parent. ( )
  EllsbethB | Oct 24, 2015 |
Good information, very dry. ( )
  suziannabean | Apr 2, 2013 |
I read the Missing Alphabet , in exchange for review from Netgalley.com. The book was written by Susan Marcus, Cynthia Herbert, and Susie Monday. The book was published by Greenleaf Book Club Press.

I chose this book because I enjoyed critical thinking in college. The topic interested me. The book discussed how children will be affected in the future. How will children respond to their culture and environment. Parents need to educate kids on creativity, innovation, problem solving, and curiosity. Reading, writing, and math are not the basics anymore. Kids are sensory creatures-they like sounds, images, technology, and look for an immediate response and/or feedback.

Parents also need to teach kids observation and how making mistakes are ok. Kids also need to learn patterns, computer skills, nonverbal skills, conceptual skills, and individuality.

next, the book discussed the sensory vocabulary: line, shape, color, texture, space, sound, light, movement, and rhythm. I loved the book and I highly recommend it.
  staciewyatt | Jan 21, 2013 |

A practical guide for parents to teach their children creative thinking skills.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible