Hearts In Atlantis by Stephen King

Hearts In Atlantis (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Stephen King

5,20957858 (3.64)94
Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:Hearts In Atlantis
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket (2000), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King (1999)

Insomnia by Stephen King (Pigletto)
    Pigletto: Both books have several references to the Dark Tower series.
    The Regulators by Richard Bachman (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Low Men remind Bobby of the movie The Regulators, a reference to another Stephen King work.
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: There are thematic connections between the title story of Hearts in Atlantis and The Dark Tower series.
    From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz (derelicious)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ted Brautigan gives Bobby a copy of Lord of the Flies to read in "Low Men in Yellow Coats."
    Duma Key by Stephen King (SqueakyChu)

5 stories in this collection, connected by characters and the war in Vietnam. They span from 1960-1999. The first two novellas are terrific, just like the tales in "Different Seasons". The following two short stories are average. And the final one wraps it all up in a satisfying ribbon! And if you are a DT reader, you'll find a Breaker in here! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jul 3, 2014 |
This was another book I read for Dr. Walling's adult materials & programming class during library school. I was 27 years old and this was the first Stephen King book I had ever read. An odd choice for a first King read; I must have just pulled it off the New Books shelf at the public library. I thought it was okay (certainly not great), and wrote up the following annotation (for which I received an A, thank you very much).

"Five sequential narratives, hinged by common characters, trace permeation of the Vietnam War into American society. Supernatural features frame the first story, a tale of fluctuating friendships between three sixth-graders. Subsequent stories, spanning several decades, graft these three lives and others to the wartime experience." ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
Audiobook version. I loved, loved, loved, William Hurt's performance. Although he doesn't put much effort into creating different voices for all the characters, he reads the story with such passion and... rhythm. That's the only word I can think of to describe it. The only two stories that I really enjoyed were Low Men in Yellow Coats and Why We're In Vietnam. The rest I could do without, but the others were classic King. ( )
  PortM | Nov 30, 2013 |
★★★★★Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King

Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King was a great book, in my opinion. It contains 5 short stories, from different period in Bobby's life.
The first is Low Men in Yellow Coats. In this one we learn Bobby's dad died young, of a heart attack, and loved to gamble. And he's mom's favorite saying is "your father didn't exactly leave us well off." He see a bike he really wants for his 11th birthday, but she says they can't afford it.
The second is Hearts in Atlantis. Blind Willie is third. And Why We're in Vietnam is the fourth.
Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling, ends the book, with Bobby coming back home, grown up. He hopes to find his first love still there. Redemption, might just happen for him after all. And there still is that one secret, but will it come out.
I would recommend this book, but if you want to watch the movie, I'd say to do that first. I had such high hopes for the movie after reading this book, but was very disappointed, because I felt cheated. I was expecting it to be off the whole book, but was not even close. ( )
  Chantelle713 | Sep 25, 2013 |
I wish that Bobby and Ted's main story was the only one and that it were longer. It was fabulous. The other stories were good, too, but sad.

Now when I re-read The Dark Tower series, I'll have a better understanding of Ted. ( )
  wispywillow | Sep 21, 2013 |
In ''Hearts in Atlantis,'' it's as though King has written two lengthy prologues and two brief epilogues but left out the novel proper. Or perhaps he hasn't. The book's juxtapositions set me wondering: maybe Vietnam is the archetype not only of the otherworldly horror Bobby chooses to avoid in ''Low Men in Yellow Coats'' but of all King's supernatural horror.

Number 6: What do you want?

Number 2: Information.

Number 6: Whose side are you on?

Number 2: That would be telling We want information.

Number 6: You won't get it!

Number 2: By hook or by crook...we will.
--The Prisoner
Simon stayed where he was, a small brown image, concealed by the leaves. Even if he shut his eyes the sow's head still remained like an after-image. The half-shut eyes were dim with the infinite cynicism of adult life. They assured Simon that everything was a bad business. -- William Golding, Lord of the Flies
"We blew it." -- Easy Rider
This is for Joseph and Leanora and Ethan: I told you all that to tell you this.
Bobby Garfield's father had been one of those fellows who start losing their hair in their twenties and are completely bald by the age of forty-five or so.

Hearts in Atlantis is a collection of two novellas and three short stories by Stephen King, all connected to one another by recurring characters and taking place in roughly chronological order. The stories are about the baby boomer generation, specifically King's view that this generation (to which he belongs) failed to live up to its promise and ideals.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671024248, Mass Market Paperback)

With his idiosyncratic blend of patrician airs and boyish charm, narrator William Hurt provides a wonderful complement to this wildly imaginative collection of short stories by author Stephen King. Hurt carefully weaves the disparate elements into a cohesive whole, embracing the subtle complexities of each character; one moment a wizened sadness leaks into his voice as a haunted old man, pursued by demons, asks his 11-year-old lookout, "You know everyone on this street, on this block of this street anyway? And you'd know strangers? Sojourners? Faces of those unknown?" Then, in a profound yet almost imperceptible switch, he exposes the boy's naive enthusiasm, "I think so." Right about here your neck hairs will stand at attention. Hurt's peculiar vocal style is in perfect pitch to King's dark, surreal vision of growing up amid the monsters of post-Vietnam America. (Running time: 21 hours, 16 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:08 -0400)

Low Men in Yellow Coats: Eleven-year-old Bobby Garfield discovers a world of predatory malice in his own neighborhood. He also discovers that adults are sometimes not rescuers but at the heart of the terror. In the title story, a bunch of college kids get hooked on a card game, discover the possibility of protest, and confront their own collective heart of darkness, where laughter may be no more than the thinly disguised cry of the beast. In "Blind Willie" and "Why We're in Vietnam," two men who grew up with Bobby in suburban Connecticut try to fill the emptiness of the post-Vietnam era in an America which sometimes seems as hollow, and as haunted, as their own lives. And in "Heavenly Shades of Night Are Falling," this remarkable book's denouement, Bobby returns to his hometown where one final secret, the hope of redemption, and his heart's desire may await him.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,769,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible