Breathe by Elena Dillon

Authors:Elena Dillon
Info:
Collections:Kindle Library

Breathe by Elena Dillon

This is my first YA experience and I truly loved it! Author Elena Dillon captured my attention with her 16-year-old heroine, Jasmine--a heartfelt portrayal of someone dealing with the murder of her older sister and starting over in a new home/state with her mom and twin younger siblings. Dillon knows how to nail teenage characterization and dialogue. The suspenseful plot unfolded with perfect pacing, weaving around a wonderfully romantic new relationship with the charming high school football player, Easton.

Narrator Roxana Bell did an amazing job with the audio version of Breathe! I am a bit picky about narrators having an engaging voice and realistic vocal performance. Too often I have hated over-dramatizations, unable to get past the first pages. Thankfully, Roxana kept me riveted to the suspenseful storyline as well as enjoying the sibling pranks and sweet young romance.

I will be looking for more from Elena Dillon AND from Roxana Bell! ( )
  GillianDoyle_author | Feb 3, 2016 |
1.5/5 Stars

Thank you Netgalley and Mark My Words Book Publicity for my ebook copy of this book.

I was unimpressed and unmoved by this book. It wasn't that it was terrible but no matter how much I tried I couldn't get into it. The writing style was all tell and no show, which made it impossible to feel anything from the characters or the plot.

The story itself has such a commonplace plot that it needed something extra, something that made it stand out among the rest, and pull the reader in. Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, it failed to do that.

Full review: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2014/08/breathe-by-elena-dillon-arc-rev... ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |
Breathe is absolutely wonderful.

Breathe is absolutely breathtaking, bringing me to a journey filled with suspense, horror and love.
It really made me picture the world in different ways and the changes in someone's life after a terrible incident.

Breathe is absolutely beautiful yet terrifying at the same time.

I'm awed with Jasmine (The Main Character) because she tried her best to stay strong despite the challenges. Not only that, I love the way Elena spins her characters in such a way that you can't help but fall in love with all of them.

The plot is great, filled with great suspense and has a final bang.

Of course, who doesn't like a happy ending?
I do. :D

Thank you, Elena for allowing me the wonderful pleasure of reading your book. It was absolutely thrilling. :D

Sincerely,
Selina.
www.booksandsweetepiphany.blogspot.com ( )
  Selina.Marie.Liaw | Aug 2, 2013 |
Background: Jasmine and her mother and twin siblings recently left LA after a horrible tragedy, the murder of her older sister Daisy. They are trying to restart in Louisiana and all is going fine until Jasmine starts receiving strange phone calls, flowers, and notes. Jasmine is on the brink of panic attacks while trying to keep theses strange occurrences a secret from her family, she cannot be the one to mess up their peace, but is the killer here?

Review: I hate to admit this but normally I am pulled in by covers, but this cover definitely left something to be desired. Aside from that, the synopsis was very intriguing and I was interested and willing to read the book. I really enjoyed it. I read most of it in one sitting. The story started off a little slow as the characters made their first appearances and we learn a little about what happened to Daisy. I found the internal struggle of Jasmine to be compelling and relatable. Jasmine becomes the oldest child after having taken a backseat to her sister all her life, that type of change is momentous for a teenager not to mention the grief of loosing a sibling. The emotion was captivating and all of this was emphasized by the drama occurring around Jasmine. I really enjoyed her character and her strength.

As for the murderer element, I think it was done well, as a reader you questioned throughout as to who/ what is tormenting Jasmine, but also really hoping her guy friend is left out of that craziness completely.

A very fast paced read once you hit about the half way point, I could not put it down and blocked out all the people trying to talk to me. At that point, you just need to know who... ( )
  sszkutak | Jan 22, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,185,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible