A Little Leg Work by Royce Leville

A Little Leg Work

by Royce Leville

1351,027,599 (4.25)None

Not realistic, but who wants realism anyway? This is a fun read! Kept my interest! This is great for those who can stomach ickyness for entertainment. (read, zombie-aholics) ( )
  Parlow | Dec 7, 2015 |
The concept was good and in most parts I wanted to keep reading to find out what was going to happen. It did start off slowly but it is worth continuing. Also it did take a few chapters to get used to how the story is described through various characters. The constant footnotes were distracting and although some were very humourous, I gave up reading them fairly quickly - they broke up the story too much. My only other comment is why the policemen never contacted Environmental Health!?! A much easier way to investigate!

I received this book as a Member Giveaway from LibraryThing. ( )
  MarcusB01 | Jan 22, 2015 |
As is very often always the case, I received this book free in exchange for a review. Despite the kindness of receiving a free book I'm absolutely candid about the book because I want everyone to know what they're getting as much as I hope to when I'm shopping.

The plot summary on this one is delicious! Essentially it's a Sweeney Todd or Delicatessen but in the modern day. What do you do when a big restaurant critic has come for a meal and you're out of meat? Well you improvise of course!

To the positive, this book is delightfully entertaining, assuming your stomach isn't turned. The descriptions of the "meals" aren't terribly graphic but if the idea is enough to make you turn a bit green then you might want to give this a miss because there are a LOT of meals. Also, the characterizations in this book are sharp and diverse and give the novel a lot of color and panache. Lastly, the book has an unusual feature for a work of fiction, over 200 footnotes. These are not, strictly speaking, required reading but they add a lot of back story to the novel and they're often quite dryly hilarious.

To the negative, the plot is a bit wobbly at times in that the characters get away with a lot for a long time that wouldn't really have worked out. It fails slightly in realism but that's all very easily ignored. Also the book suffers from some rather mysterious textual errors confusing your/you're and there/their. This is unusual because the rest of the production is so crisp. Still it's only a minor distraction.

In summary, if you like a dark tale and don't mind a lot of cannibalism, then I can't recommend this one highly enough. You won't be able to resist eating it up; assuming it doesn't eat you first. ( )
  slavenrm | Dec 29, 2014 |
I received this book as a Member Giveaway from LibraryThing. It came in the mail right after Christmas and it was wrapped in Christmas paper, which was a simple and kind gesture that made my day.

Since I am not opposed to cannibalism, I found this book to be more humorous than horrifying (as others might cringe). I may have even gotten a little hungry here and there if I actually liked meatballs. ;)

But really, the book was written in a very unique and creative manner. Royce Leville had everyone's perspective going around in the book and I loved hearing the very real-like and entertaining variety of everyone's point of view. In that, I was impressed at how there were so many perspectives without being confusing. I knew exactly who was expressing when they were expressing.

The story makes you think about what you could be eating when you go out to restaurants. It opens your eyes to the way people can sometimes just stumble upon something that causes them to commit an act they generally wouldn't commit. At the end of this book, you could say that what goes around comes around and it tied up nicely. I really enjoyed reading this.

I also want to add this link that a friend happened to share with me right as I was finishing the book up. It's interesting that this article is very similar to this book:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nigeria-restaurant-selling-human-meat-dishes-busted-143... ( )
  Luna.Falena | Feb 13, 2014 |
I was happy to receive this book through the Member Giveaways. I found the story very enjoyable and it kept me interesting all the way to the end. The book had it all, corruption, sex, greed, etc. The footnotes throughout made it a bit more interesting. A fun (but twisted) book to read. ( )
  clowndust | Feb 3, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Royce Leville's book A Little Leg Work was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,760,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible