A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

A chair for my mother is a children's picture book about a family of three who lose everything in a fire. They dream of and save for the perfect floral chair. The mother works at a diner the little girl goes and helps on evenings. Every evening they put their change from tips and leftover grocery money into a large jar at home. When the jar finally fills up, they go and buy a comfortable chair. This chair is for the mother because she works so hard and she just needs a place to sit down. The story teaches about resiliency, community, goal settings and savings. The colors are vivid to reflect the families Hispanic culture. Begin with the end in mind and have a plan. I would use this as an extension activity the seven habits of happy kids. Where one of the habits is to "begin with the end in mind." The whole class could vote on a goal and save for it. A giant glass pickle jar just like the one in "A Chair for My Mother" would be used to collect spare change. Another extension of this would be to talk about the use of color in this book and what it means for the Hispanic culture. Hand out coloring sheets with a chair and have each student design their own chair. ( )
  cosmodad16 | Sep 19, 2016 |
This book is about a grandma, mother, and daughter whose house burned down a year earlier. The mom works at the diner and puts all her tips in a big jar so that they can afford a comfy chair. The town came together to give them a table, bed, and pots and pans, but they desperately needed a comfy place to sit after working hard all day long.

I think this book is geared towards 1st-3rd grade. It is a picture book that received the Caldecott Honor, and an easy reader.

This would be a good book to read when talking about saving money or to show how a scary situation can turn good. ( )
  maddisonsitz | Sep 11, 2016 |
A Chair for my Mother is a book for all ages that is heartwarming and eye-opening.
  cgjohn3570 | Aug 30, 2016 |
GR: M
GL: 3.8
DRA: 24
Lexile: 640L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 2, 2016 |
This book is about a family that experienced a house fire that destroyed all their belongings. A year later, they had a new home and everything they needed except for a comfy chair for them to all enjoy throughout the day. It became their mission to save up and earn enough money to buy the chair. They saved until they had enough and they bought the chair.

This was always a favorite of mine when I was younger. We would read this in class and it was always a big laugh in the face of the boys because the book was entirely run by female protagonists who earned their own way to a chair. No princess needed saving in this book. I adore that.

Just as it inspired the little girl I once was, I can only imagine what kind of empowerment it could provide for future generations of women. This is a good book to read to the children to teach them that no one gender is better than the other and that with hard work and dedication, they could achieve just about any goal they set their mind to.

It would be a fun idea to send the students home with the task of setting a goal that they want to achieve and having them return with a list of things they could do to achieve said goal. Maybe even set a class goal and set little steps to help guide them. Reward them when they reach the goal and decide on a new goal. Keep them motivated.
  faylana.nap | Jul 12, 2016 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,107,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible