A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

Summary:
This story is about a little girl named Rosa, her mother and grandma. Her family goes through a bad experience when their house burns down. After the huse burnt down they had to move into a differnt house. The community welcomes them with open arms by helping them with items for their house. Then Rosa, her mom and grandma start to save up money for a new chair.

Perosnal Experience:
When my husband and I first got married our house cought on fire as well. We had to start all over again with all our house items. People helped us with different item.

Classroom Extensions:
1. I would have the students draw pictures of furniture athat the could put in the new house.
2. I would have the students tell what they could do or wanted to do for a freind or family member that had to start all over from a fire. ( )
  shelby22 | Jul 16, 2014 |
After losing everything in a fire the family gets help and learns the appreciate what they now have and focuses on whats important.
  cabram90 | Jun 24, 2014 |
Summary:
A little girl and her mom lost their home in a fire and everything in their home had went to ashes. Having to move into another house, the girl, mom, and grandma were welcome by the whole entire neighborhood and the neighbors and family friends help with some of the things needed in the house. But all they really wanted was a chair for mommy. So they began to save money in a big glass jar. Any loose change that mommy and grandma had went into the jar. Once the jar was full, the jar is taken to the bank and finally mommy can get her chair with the money that was saved.

Personal Reaction:
It's a really good family book and shows real love in every page. I like the Hispanic feel and look of it. I like how the little girl is the narrator through out the whole book. I'm glad they finally were about to get mommy's chair.

Classroom Extension:
1) Have students read this book and design their own chair or even furniture they would want in their room or house.
2) Split classroom into even groups and hand them a jar full of coin and have them work on their money counting skills.
  MataSoolua | Mar 26, 2014 |
After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. I like this book for its portrayal of a hard-working, loving, working-class family that perseveres through tragedy. I would use this as a mentor text for describing small moments in a larger narrative and zooming in on details. Each page of the story is a small moment that builds to tell the larger story. ( )
  asweet2 | Mar 8, 2014 |
This book was a great read! I really liked that the book was written in first person. The main character brought a lot of insight on her not only her feelings but her families feelings. She gave a lot of background information that helped develop the story. This sort of made the story sound like a journal. For example, "This is because our old chairs burned up. There was a big fire in our other house. All our chairs burned. So did our sofa and so did everything else." The second thing I liked about the story was the characters. The characters actions and voices all seemed very realistic. For example, the mother working as a waitress at a restaurant and saving up all her tips. The author mentioned that some days she'd have a lot of tips while other days she wouldn't have many. This event occurs in real life which made the story very believable.
Overall, I think the big idea of the story is that although a tragedy may occur, things will always turn out to be alright. ( )
  Scrane4 | Mar 6, 2014 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:34 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible