A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

The main message of this book is that not all families are not all the same and do not go through the same things.
I really enjoyed this book because it showed a family overcoming hard times. The plot was well designed and was very family friendly. I enjoyed reading about a single working mother, a daughter, and a grandmother over coming the set back of a house fire.
I also enjoyed the written language of this book because I feel as though it adds to the value of the main character, the daughter. The word choice would have the reader believe that the young child is truly talking and expressing her point of view about this point in her life. The written language also ties in well when it comes to the value of the point of view. It’s interesting to see the author chose words that a young girl would pick when it comes to situations that deal with homelessness, tragedy, and a single parent mother working all the time. The author did an excellent job portraying a young girl’s voice. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |
Josephine's mom works as a waitress and saves all her tips for a big soft armchair because their old one was burned in a house fire. Their house burned down and the neighbors helped out, but they are still missing a chair and a sofa. When they get enough money they go out and buy a chair.

Steilacoom Pierce Library
  bunnybearblue | Nov 9, 2015 |
32 months - we loved this book and have read it many many times in the past couple weeks (from the library). Lots of great learning in this book as well.... we will most certainly revisit this book again. From tragedy come a community of giving. And a lesson of saving for what you really want. It reminds me of the jar I had as a kid in our kitchen. I would save my money from doing dishes every night towards something I really wanted and eventually I'd have enough. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked the book because the plot was very well developed and interesting. I like how well the characters were developed and that they worked together to save up money for a new chair for their home, since their house caught o fire. I did not the illustrations very much. I don't think they were very realistic at times, for example on one page the mother is much larger than everything in the room.I think they could have been better. The message of the story is to never give up no matter the circumstances that cross your path and work hard for the things you want.
  bgrane2 | Sep 30, 2015 |
I truly enjoyed this book for many reasons, the delightful character development, interesting story development and personally a relatable family dynamic. As the story begins one is introduced to a young girl, her hard working mother as the girl explains their daily life of work, school and the saving of loose change. The characters develop quickly so the reader can experience a connection between the mother, the girl and even a connection with their community. The narrator describes moms hard working behaviors as she struggles to pick up the pieces of their lives after their apartment caught fire. As the story continues you realize the purpose of the books title, A Chair for My Mother. The filling of a jar with change is for the family to purchase a new chair to replace the one destroyed in the fire. Coming full circle the young girl, her mother and grandmother all finally can enjoy the chair. As for my personal connection to the text, i was raised by a single mother who worked constantly and gave all she had no matter how tired she was, just as this young girls mother did for her. ( )
  FrancescaOliveira | Sep 15, 2015 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,849,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible