A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

Recently added bycesdemo

I really loved this book so much. In the book the narrator is a young girl and the author allows her character to speak exactly the way she would if she was a real person. The book has some broken english and fragments which truly captures the characters essence. The book is about a little girl who works at a diner that her mother waitresses at and everyday they combine all their money and put it into a big jar. They are saving money for a new comfy chair because their house recently burned down and they lost everything they owned. The story teaches perseverance and how a community comes together to help those in need. I would definitely recommend this book to someone going through a similar experience and are struggling to give them hope for the future. ( )
  tsavan1 | Nov 15, 2016 |
This book is very sweet and heart-warming. Students can make connections with the little girl in the story and her life dynamics. This little girl has a working mother and a grandmother, there does not seem to be any father in the picture. This can be the case for a lot of students in my classroom. Students may enjoy reading this book because they can connect to the character. The illustrator is very creative in how they border each picture. The border around each illustration in the book is the same design as the chair is in the end of the book. This provides a foreshadowing for students to see of the perfect chair this sweet family ends up purchasing.
  Jaymand | Nov 1, 2016 |
I love this book. In the classroom, I would read this book and ask my students to write about what is something they really wanted but did not have enough money for or how do they think the characters felt in the story.
  Kendralpayne | Oct 3, 2016 |
This story contains many of the elements for the genre of Realistic Fiction. First, the character in the story are actual people. The family represents a type of family that can be seen in the real world. They also face problems that can occur in real life. The family loses their house to fire. Individuals can connect with his story. They may have faced these same problems, or this family may be very similar to their. It also exposes students to new types of family. Students can experience how other people live. It gives them the perspective someone different from themselves. I would read this story to the younger elementary grades.
  mjmorr9390 | Sep 30, 2016 |
This story contains many of the elements for the genre of Realistic Fiction. First, the character in the story are actual people. The family represents a type of family that can be seen in the real world. They also face problems that can occur in real life such as losing their house to a fire. Individuals can connect with this story. They may have faced these same problems, or this family may be very similar to their. It also exposes students to new types of family. Students can experience how other people live. It gives students a different perspective from themselves. I would read this story to the younger elementary grades.
  CourtneyFritz93 | Sep 29, 2016 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,682,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible