A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

Can be used as a lesson how to work for what you want, to give back to others, kindness and how to stay humble- also can be a vocab word. ( )
  rri002 | Mar 3, 2017 |
This book that I picked is an excellent book and has so many great qualities, but I'm not sure in a multicultural stand point that I would use this in a classroom. The characters were believable and well developed and offered a different looking interpretation of a family (For example: It's a mom, little girl and grandma not the traditional mom, dad, brother sister., etc). I also liked through out the book how you don't know why they need a chair, so this would be a great opportunity for children to make predictions about what is going to happen. Because you do not know why they need a chair through out most of the book it makes the story engaging because you want to keep reading to figure it out. Also when you do find out what happened and why they need a chair you want to see how the story ends and if they end up getting a chair for their family room. The message of the story I believe was to work hard, and do not take things for granted because everyone does not have it so easy. This is such a touching story with a beautiful message, but it doesn't show much of culture through out it is just a good story. I think this has to do with the plot of the story because you do not know where they live, the time period, the country, or any background information. This makes it less personal to children who are trying to relate to books close to their culture, but also this type of books allows all students to be able to connect in some little way at least and not just certain students. ( )
  hpetti1 | Feb 27, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading A Chair For My Mother! The story is about a mother, daughter, and grandmother saving up money to buy a new hair for their home. The family encountered a devestating fire that left them with no furniture. Their neighbors generously donated old furniture they were not using anymore. However, they did not have a big comfy chair. Mother needed one for when she came home after a long day at work. By the end, the families determination got them their dream chair.
I like this book because students can relate to it in all different aspects. For example, living in a home with no father figure, living with a grandparent, saving for something, experiencing a fire and the list goes on! However, the overall message from this book is to not give up. It took an extremely long time to fill the huge jar they had. The family could've called a quits half way through, but they didn't. The family knew how important this chair was to the mother and also themselves. A Chair for My Mother shows kids that even though devastation, you can still have a happy ending. ( )
  katelynzemlak | Feb 26, 2017 |
About a child, her grandmother and waitress mom save dimes to by a armchair after all there furniture caught in a fire. Age 3-4 ( )
  giahall1130 | Feb 23, 2017 |
I thuroughly enjoyed this short book. This book follows a little girl and details how she and her mother gather tips in a big jar in order to save up for a nice chair for their house. The previous chair, along with almost everything else in the house wound up burnt. The book uses this to teach a few lessons about determiniation and community. The families neighbors all gather to help htem in the time of need, giving them leftover belongings and meals. It also teaches that through hard work (and a little budgeting) you can achieve what you set out to, regardless of age or limitations. Something to note, is that this book was written literally from the young girls perspective. Instead of using proper diction, she includes phrases like "I wash the salts and peppers and ketchups." ( )
  mbalte1 | Feb 22, 2017 |

to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,281,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible