A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

Recently added byrmiel, private library, Monreal, Pages_Aplenty, joelpreschool

I did not enjoy this story as much as I thought I would. I did not like how the story was set up throughout the book. The book is aimed towards kindergarten to second grade but the font on the pages is incredibly small and hard to read. The story has a good meaning to it saying that you need to work hard for what you get but I personally think that it is a little hard to follow. For young children, the pictures might be hard to recognize because there are no definite lines and all of the drawings are a little blurry. The big idea in the story is that your hard work will pay off in the end.
  amyadams19 | May 3, 2016 |
I think this book is good to include in the classroom and children would like this book because it has a happy ending. After all of their hard work, the little girl, her mother, and grandmother get the chair they saved up for! I would use this book in a 3rd grade classroom and would use it in a lesson about saving money by taking just a small portion out of hat you make and put it away, just as the girl did. I would also use this book in a lesson on generosity and would teach students about giving to children or families in need. ( )
  SalemSmith | Apr 20, 2016 |
Genre: critical Issues
Media: Acrylic Mixed media
Use: this book would be a great read aloud especially at the beginning of the year when I might want to get to know my students better. I could ask questions pertaining to life and to who my students live with or what they have experienced.
Critique: this book tells a loving story of three generations of women (well,and girl) whose home is destroyed in a tragic fire, but they stay positive and start saving their coins for a comfortable chair. It's a great progression and the artwork is fantastic. Very well done. I also like that it is about a house burning down, I don't think that is a particularly large topic covered in children's literature. ( )
  gmorgan14 | Apr 12, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book for two reasons. First, I really liked how the author presented a tough topic, and yet created a sense of hope throughout the book. After moving into an empty apartment, the community rallied around the family and brought the family supplies. “The first day we moved in, the neighbors brought pizza and cake and ice-cream. And they brought a lot of other things too.”
The second reason I enjoyed this book is because the point of view used to describe a hardship. The young girl’s point of view is easy to relate to, and believable for her age. For example ““Yes a chair. A wonderful, beautiful, fat, warm armchair. We will get one covered in velvet with roses all over it. We are going to get the best arm chair in the entire world. That is because our old chairs burned up. There was a big fire in our other house. All our chairs burned. So did our sofa and so did everything else.” The main idea of this book is that hard work, family, and community can help people overcome tragedy. ( )
  CathiRussell | Apr 11, 2016 |
A girl and her family save coins to buy a chair after they lose their furniture in a fire.
This realistic fiction is wonderful to start a discussion about equity, family, or community service. It's a great eye-opener for young children to the lives of those around them. Best for k-4th.
Media: watercolor ( )
  catherineparry | Mar 31, 2016 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,900,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible