A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

A young girl, her mama, and grandma's home is burned down. They remain positive and have very generous friends and family members that help them get back on their feet. When they move into their new apartment, the neighbors brought pizza, a table with three chairs and even a bed to help furnish their new home. We learn very early on that the young girl's mother works very hard all day and at the end of the day, she uses her tips to fill up a huge coin jar. The money in the jar is all going toward a nice, big, comfortable chair that the three of them can enjoy and currently do not have. Eventually after hard work, they are able to get what they have been dreaming of, the prettiest, most comfortable arm chair.
The illustrations on this book add to the story. The pictures are able to say just as much as the words. In the beginning, there is a page sized picture of the three main characters. They are all doing exactly what the words say they are doing. Being able to have a visual on the side of the words really helps to place oneself in the story. ( )
  jmistret | Jan 26, 2016 |
A Chair for My Mother is a trade book about a child who's mother is a waitress and saves her mother's changes into a jar to buy a comfortable chair because they lost their home in a fire. A Chair for My Mother's illustrations is very bright and cheerful. The colors are vibrant and filled from top to bottom. Teachers can use this book by telling about how hard it is for families who go through house fires. I have always loved this book since I was a child and I still love it until today. It's a great book to read because it shows that you have to work hard to get what you want. ( )
  s.vang | Dec 2, 2015 |
"A Chair for My Mother" is a multicultural book. It is a multicultural book because it is a lot different from what is familiar to me. It is about a young girl who's home gets burnt down. The struggles of moving into a new home after loosing everything is defused when the neighborhood brings them goods. The point of view is from the young daughter. She talks of how even a year later she still does not have all that they had before, a chair/couch specifically. They fill a large by saving coins. They us that money for a new chair. This story has the theme of hard work. The young girl must work hard, just like her mother to find success. This book caught my attention because they mother is the main worker in the household. However, there is no father present at all, implying she is a single parent. This multicultural book could be used in the classroom to explain different lifestyles. The illustrations in the story look water colored. ( )
  JTansom | Dec 2, 2015 |
A CHAIR FOR MY MOTHER is a beautiful picture book about a little girl, and her mother and grandmother. About one year ago, they lost their house in a big fire, and all of their belongings had been turned to “charcoal and ashes”. When they moved into their new apartment people in the community all chipped in to help furnish their new place – they brought a kitchen table, curtains, and even some pots and pans. But the one thing they didn’t have was a big, soft armchair where the girl’s mother could sit and unwind after her long days at work. So they began saving up all their change in a large glass jar, waiting until it is full when they can bring it to the store and find the perfect chair. I remember reading this story when I was younger and I enjoy it now as much as I did then. The illustrations are very colorful with lots of detail and a unique style of art. It is also an interesting story because there is no father present, so children living with a single mother might see their family reflected in this book. After reading this book with students, I would have them write a description of the what they think the most comfortable chair would be like, and then have them illustrate their description. ( )
  mmiller28 | Nov 30, 2015 |
The main message of this book is that not all families are not all the same and do not go through the same things.
I really enjoyed this book because it showed a family overcoming hard times. The plot was well designed and was very family friendly. I enjoyed reading about a single working mother, a daughter, and a grandmother over coming the set back of a house fire.
I also enjoyed the written language of this book because I feel as though it adds to the value of the main character, the daughter. The word choice would have the reader believe that the young child is truly talking and expressing her point of view about this point in her life. The written language also ties in well when it comes to the value of the point of view. It’s interesting to see the author chose words that a young girl would pick when it comes to situations that deal with homelessness, tragedy, and a single parent mother working all the time. The author did an excellent job portraying a young girl’s voice. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,052,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible