A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

A Chair For My Mother is a Caldecott Honor Book. It is a story about a little girl who learns to appreciate how hard her mother works, and that if you work hard enough, you can get what you dream about.
  edwardcandler | Jan 18, 2017 |
a young girl and her mother are working and sadly one day their house burns down and they have to move. they work really hard and eventually they get a new house and a big comfy chair for the mom
2 books
  TUCC | Jan 13, 2017 |
This book is a Caldecott award winner. It is about is about a boy who goes to work with his mom. She works in a diner. He helps with things in the kitchen and gets paid in return. He puts half of his money in a jar along with his mom's tips in change. They count the money each night with the help of his grandma. They all live together in the same house, his family is very hardworking. They are saving to buy a chair. They had a house fire and lost the chair they had. He retells the story of when his house burned in detail. There were two big fire engines and tall orange flames. His grandma was home and made it out ok. They got a place again of their own and painted the walls yellow. The neighbors brought them food and things for their new place. He knows that his mom works hard for everything they have and he wants her to have a place to put her feet up after a long day at work. Finally the jar is too full to hold anymore change and they take it to the bank to exchange it for cash. Then they went furniture shopping. Finally they found the chair they had been longing for. You could expand on this story by having the children talk about the cozy places in their homes. You could talk about different coins and how much each one is worth. ( )
  AmandaMcClure | Jan 10, 2017 |
Rosa and her grandmother try to save as many coins as they can to buy a chair for Rosa's hard working mother. They lost everything that they had in a fire and have slowly been accumulating the things that they need. Money is tight for their family, but they are determined to get something nice for Rosa's mother.

I loved this book! I loved how it had such a positive emphasis on women and did not have the role of a man giving the women everything that they needed. I also feel that this would be very relevant for some students that you might have in your class.

An activity that I would do with the class is a writing prompt on what the students would save their money for. I would have the students describe what they would do to obtain the money and what they would spend it on. ( )
  kmedwa4950 | Dec 7, 2016 |
I really loved this book so much. In the book the narrator is a young girl and the author allows her character to speak exactly the way she would if she was a real person. The book has some broken english and fragments which truly captures the characters essence. The book is about a little girl who works at a diner that her mother waitresses at and everyday they combine all their money and put it into a big jar. They are saving money for a new comfy chair because their house recently burned down and they lost everything they owned. The story teaches perseverance and how a community comes together to help those in need. I would definitely recommend this book to someone going through a similar experience and are struggling to give them hope for the future. ( )
  tsavan1 | Nov 15, 2016 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,787,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible