A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

Recently added byFUSDen, bullards98, Carrie2, iMagic, private library, firstu, Frankie87, MontagueES, iles

GR: M
GL: 3.8
DRA: 24
Lexile: 640L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 2, 2016 |
This book is about a family that experienced a house fire that destroyed all their belongings. A year later, they had a new home and everything they needed except for a comfy chair for them to all enjoy throughout the day. It became their mission to save up and earn enough money to buy the chair. They saved until they had enough and they bought the chair.

This was always a favorite of mine when I was younger. We would read this in class and it was always a big laugh in the face of the boys because the book was entirely run by female protagonists who earned their own way to a chair. No princess needed saving in this book. I adore that.

Just as it inspired the little girl I once was, I can only imagine what kind of empowerment it could provide for future generations of women. This is a good book to read to the children to teach them that no one gender is better than the other and that with hard work and dedication, they could achieve just about any goal they set their mind to.

It would be a fun idea to send the students home with the task of setting a goal that they want to achieve and having them return with a list of things they could do to achieve said goal. Maybe even set a class goal and set little steps to help guide them. Reward them when they reach the goal and decide on a new goal. Keep them motivated.
  faylana.nap | Jul 12, 2016 |
After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jul 5, 2016 |
This is a wonderful children's story about rising above tragedy. The main character's family was devastated by a tragedy. This story is about how this family did not let that tragedy destroy their hopes. With teamwork and help from neighbors they rebuild their lives and achieve their goal--a great chair for the family to bring normalcy back to their lives.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I did not enjoy this story as much as I thought I would. I did not like how the story was set up throughout the book. The book is aimed towards kindergarten to second grade but the font on the pages is incredibly small and hard to read. The story has a good meaning to it saying that you need to work hard for what you get but I personally think that it is a little hard to follow. For young children, the pictures might be hard to recognize because there are no definite lines and all of the drawings are a little blurry. The big idea in the story is that your hard work will pay off in the end.
  amyadams19 | May 3, 2016 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,411,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible