A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

A chair for my mother is deeply meaningful and touching. In this book the narrator explains how she and her Mama are saving up all the extra money they have in a huge jar for a special chair. All their possessions were burned away in a house fire and although they had very helpful and special people in their lives help get them back on their feet and supplied things for them to live with, they still did not have a nice chair for her Mama to rest her feet in after a long days work in the diner. So they decided they would get the biggest jar they could find and save up every last extra coin they had until the jar was full to the top. Even though at some points it felt like they would never get there, finally all their hard work paid off. They were able to go buy the perfect comfy chair they always wanted and curled up in it to relax together. This would be a great way to teach kids not to judge people on the outside, for you do not know what is going on in someones personal life. It would also be a good introduction to teaching the value of money and of course patience. It could also be for explaining the power of a close neighborhood and how helpful it can be. ( )
  RikkiHamilton | May 1, 2017 |
Introduction: A Chair for My Mother is written by Vera Baker Williams. It is the story of a family’s perseverance after losing everything in a fire recounted in a first-person narrative. The book teaches patience, money saving, the importance of work, and love.
Characters: The main characters in A Chair for My Mother include the young narrator, her mama, and grandma. Other characters mentioned are her mother’s boss at the diner and other family members (as the book focuses on the importance of family).
Theme/Plot: The chair in the book is representative of family love. The chair provides a resting place for the weary and a place for family members to sit comfortably together, enjoying time together. Saving for the chair teaches patience and further shows family love.
Author: Williams is well known for her works as a children’s author. Before her death, she received numerous awards, including awards for A Chair for My Mother.
Summary: The book tells the story of a family working and saving together to buy a large, comfortable, velvet chair after losing everything in a fire. The chair is important to them as it will give them a place to rest their weary bodies and to sit together cherishing time as a family. The young narrator works at the diner at times with her mother and each night the family adds money to a large jar, saving for the chair. The family succeeds in getting their chair and enjoys the comfort it provides.
Quotes: No matter how tired her mama or grandmother are “each evening every single shiny coin goes into the jar each evening every single shiny coin goes into the jar” to purchase a chair. When the jar is full the family buys the chair. Williams ends the story showing the importance and comfort the chair provides, writing: “Mama sits down and watches the news on TV when she comes home from her job. After supper, I sit with her and she can reach right up and turn out the light if I fall asleep in her lap.”
Overall Recommendation: A Chair for My Mother is an excellent read for children of all ages. The book teaches valuable lessons such as the importance of family, love, patience, and hard work. The book can also be used to teach math skills in the classroom, as the family saves and counts money into the big jar, saving for the chair. ( )
  StephanieMcCrary | Apr 23, 2017 |
Can be used as a lesson how to work for what you want, to give back to others, kindness and how to stay humble- also can be a vocab word. ( )
  rri002 | Mar 3, 2017 |
This book that I picked is an excellent book and has so many great qualities, but I'm not sure in a multicultural stand point that I would use this in a classroom. The characters were believable and well developed and offered a different looking interpretation of a family (For example: It's a mom, little girl and grandma not the traditional mom, dad, brother sister., etc). I also liked through out the book how you don't know why they need a chair, so this would be a great opportunity for children to make predictions about what is going to happen. Because you do not know why they need a chair through out most of the book it makes the story engaging because you want to keep reading to figure it out. Also when you do find out what happened and why they need a chair you want to see how the story ends and if they end up getting a chair for their family room. The message of the story I believe was to work hard, and do not take things for granted because everyone does not have it so easy. This is such a touching story with a beautiful message, but it doesn't show much of culture through out it is just a good story. I think this has to do with the plot of the story because you do not know where they live, the time period, the country, or any background information. This makes it less personal to children who are trying to relate to books close to their culture, but also this type of books allows all students to be able to connect in some little way at least and not just certain students. ( )
  hpetti1 | Feb 27, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading A Chair For My Mother! The story is about a mother, daughter, and grandmother saving up money to buy a new hair for their home. The family encountered a devestating fire that left them with no furniture. Their neighbors generously donated old furniture they were not using anymore. However, they did not have a big comfy chair. Mother needed one for when she came home after a long day at work. By the end, the families determination got them their dream chair.
I like this book because students can relate to it in all different aspects. For example, living in a home with no father figure, living with a grandparent, saving for something, experiencing a fire and the list goes on! However, the overall message from this book is to not give up. It took an extremely long time to fill the huge jar they had. The family could've called a quits half way through, but they didn't. The family knew how important this chair was to the mother and also themselves. A Chair for My Mother shows kids that even though devastation, you can still have a happy ending. ( )
  katelynzemlak | Feb 26, 2017 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible