A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

I really enjoyed reading A Chair For My Mother! The story is about a mother, daughter, and grandmother saving up money to buy a new hair for their home. The family encountered a devestating fire that left them with no furniture. Their neighbors generously donated old furniture they were not using anymore. However, they did not have a big comfy chair. Mother needed one for when she came home after a long day at work. By the end, the families determination got them their dream chair.
I like this book because students can relate to it in all different aspects. For example, living in a home with no father figure, living with a grandparent, saving for something, experiencing a fire and the list goes on! However, the overall message from this book is to not give up. It took an extremely long time to fill the huge jar they had. The family could've called a quits half way through, but they didn't. The family knew how important this chair was to the mother and also themselves. A Chair for My Mother shows kids that even though devastation, you can still have a happy ending. ( )
  katelynzemlak | Feb 26, 2017 |
About a child, her grandmother and waitress mom save dimes to by a armchair after all there furniture caught in a fire.
  giahall1130 | Feb 23, 2017 |
I thuroughly enjoyed this short book. This book follows a little girl and details how she and her mother gather tips in a big jar in order to save up for a nice chair for their house. The previous chair, along with almost everything else in the house wound up burnt. The book uses this to teach a few lessons about determiniation and community. The families neighbors all gather to help htem in the time of need, giving them leftover belongings and meals. It also teaches that through hard work (and a little budgeting) you can achieve what you set out to, regardless of age or limitations. Something to note, is that this book was written literally from the young girls perspective. Instead of using proper diction, she includes phrases like "I wash the salts and peppers and ketchups." ( )
  mbalte1 | Feb 22, 2017 |
A Chair For My Mother is a Caldecott Honor Book. It is a story about a little girl who learns to appreciate how hard her mother works, and that if you work hard enough, you can get what you dream about.
  edwardcandler | Jan 18, 2017 |
a young girl and her mother are working and sadly one day their house burns down and they have to move. they work really hard and eventually they get a new house and a big comfy chair for the mom
2 books
  TUCC | Jan 13, 2017 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,676,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible