A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Member:Bwestpha
Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

In my opinion, “A Chair for My Mother” is an extraordinary picture book for children to read. It is one of the warmest children’s books that I have ever read. The plot is the best part of the story because it is very relatable for many children. The story tells of a mother and little girl who live together in the city. The mother works as a waitress at a diner, and she struggles to pay the bills. The little girl and her mother had recently lost everything they owned in a fire. The little girl sometimes meets her mother at the diner and helps. They put their coins that they get from the job into a jar. They want to get a chair with the money once they have enough. The mother’s feet are always hurting her from work, and she really just wants a big, comfy chair. The writing is very appealing because the book is entirely narrated by the little girl in the story. The little girl’s point of view makes the story so much more endearing. For example, the little girl says, “Sometimes my mama is laughing when she comes home from work. Sometimes she’s so tired she falls asleep while I count the money into piles. Some days she has lots of tips. Some days only a little. Then she looks worried. But each evening every single shiny coin goes into the jar.” The colorful, eye-catching illustrations are very engaging. The illustrations consist of fine paintings that capture the various emotions that the little girl and mother feel throughout the book. Towards the end of the story, the girl and her mother have enough coins to go get the chair that they want. The mother and daughter lay in the chair together and fall asleep. This story pushes readers to broaden their perspectives about what is really important in life. The big idea is to teach students that “It is not what you have that matters. The people that are by your side matter.” ( )
  sstelz2 | Oct 30, 2014 |
This was a fiction picture book for students in 1st grade. It is appropriate for these students because they could read most, if not all, of the words and comprehend the themes in the book. First graders would also enjoy this book. A young girl and family is saving all of their extra money in a jar. They are saving to buy a big, comfy, rose covered, arm chair. They didn't have one because they had a fire in their home. It was a good book because it showed making some positives out of a negative situation, a community and a family uniting in a time of need, and perseverance. ( )
  nhassa3 | Oct 7, 2014 |
I think this is a good children’s book. The first reason why I like this book is because it shows the value and importance of money. After a fire destroys their home, Rosa and her mother and grandmother have to survive without anything because everything was burnt to “charcoal and ashes.” Their friends brought furniture to their new apartment, but nothing that was big or soft or even comfortable. They try to save up all of their coins just to buy a comfy chair for all of them to enjoy. Rather than spending all of the money, or wasting it on non-worthy things, they cherish the value of money and save it just to buy one small couch. The second reason why I liked it is because of the beautiful illustrations spread across the pages. The illustrations are so colorful that they interest the reader. Even the cover itself attracts the reader to want to read it because of what is going on and because of the different colors. The big picture of this book is the hard-working, and loving family that can persevere through such a tragedy. If you work together towards a common goal, you can achieve it. ( )
  margan1 | Sep 22, 2014 |
This story is about a young girl and her mother and grandmother who are staring their lives over after their house was burned down. The family is saving money to buy a new chair to put in their new apartment. The story talks about how they put their coins into a large jar in hopes that they will have enough money to buy a big comfortable chair.

I like this story because it is very well written and easy to relate to. The author uses excellent descriptions so that her audience can easily picture the message she is trying to convey. the illustrations are also well done and enhance the text without being a distraction. ( )
  kkerns3 | Sep 16, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is about a little girl named Rosa, her mother and grandma. Her family goes through a bad experience when their house burns down. After the huse burnt down they had to move into a differnt house. The community welcomes them with open arms by helping them with items for their house. Then Rosa, her mom and grandma start to save up money for a new chair.

Perosnal Experience:
When my husband and I first got married our house cought on fire as well. We had to start all over again with all our house items. People helped us with different item.

Classroom Extensions:
1. I would have the students draw pictures of furniture athat the could put in the new house.
2. I would have the students tell what they could do or wanted to do for a freind or family member that had to start all over from a fire. ( )
  shelby22 | Jul 16, 2014 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:34 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible