A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

A Chair for My Mother (original 1982; edition 1984)

by Vera B. Williams

Title:A Chair for My Mother
Authors:Vera B. Williams
Info:Demco Media (1984), Turtleback
Tags:Inspirational, Family, Hard Work, Money, Chair, Realistic Fiction

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams (1982)

Recently added byprivate library, GSMS, LeslieJewkes, lanajills, TrinityDay, BRC_MacKenzie, EELP, bgrane2

I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked the book because the plot was very well developed and interesting. I like how well the characters were developed and that they worked together to save up money for a new chair for their home, since their house caught o fire. I did not the illustrations very much. I don't think they were very realistic at times, for example on one page the mother is much larger than everything in the room.I think they could have been better. The message of the story is to never give up no matter the circumstances that cross your path and work hard for the things you want.
  bgrane2 | Sep 30, 2015 |
I truly enjoyed this book for many reasons, the delightful character development, interesting story development and personally a relatable family dynamic. As the story begins one is introduced to a young girl, her hard working mother as the girl explains their daily life of work, school and the saving of loose change. The characters develop quickly so the reader can experience a connection between the mother, the girl and even a connection with their community. The narrator describes moms hard working behaviors as she struggles to pick up the pieces of their lives after their apartment caught fire. As the story continues you realize the purpose of the books title, A Chair for My Mother. The filling of a jar with change is for the family to purchase a new chair to replace the one destroyed in the fire. Coming full circle the young girl, her mother and grandmother all finally can enjoy the chair. As for my personal connection to the text, i was raised by a single mother who worked constantly and gave all she had no matter how tired she was, just as this young girls mother did for her. ( )
  FrancescaOliveira | Sep 15, 2015 |
This book is about a family who goes through a house fire. Everything they own burns up, so they must replace everything. The mother is a waitress so she saves her tips everyday and puts the money in a jar to save up for a new chair. After many months the family can finally afford a new chair! Genre is realistic fiction.
  lauraleerose | Apr 12, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because the plot development was interesting. The mother and daughter would work together sometimes to be able to raise enough money to buy a comfy chair for their family. The family had most furniture, from other people donating to them after hearing about the fire, but this comfy chair was going to be special. For example, the author wrote what the chair is used for, “Now Grandma sits in it and talks with people going by in the daytime… I sit with [Mama] and she can reach right up and turn out the light if I fall asleep in her lap”(pg. 28). I didn’t like the illustrations in this story. On page 5, Mama looks larger than everyone and everything in the room. In addition, on page 9, Mama’s legs are crossed and it doesn’t look like they are drawn correctly. The big idea of the story is to strive for something and work hard at it. ( )
  moaks1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
A daughter helps her mother at the diner where she works. One day after shopping they go home to find their house was on fire. The family lost their belongings so they had to move to a new neighborhood. They saved their money for a new chair that her mother could sit in after a hard day at work. They were able to save enough money and purchase the chair for her mother.

Personal Reaction
I have many firefighters in my family. My father, brother-in-law, and husband chose to become firefighters to help people. My husband and I like to help those who have lost everything due to a fire. We might not be able to give much to the victims of a fire, but they realize stuff is not as important as family.

Extension Ideas:
1.We could discuss the importance of fire safety and practice the correct way to get out of a burning building.
2.The students could bring items that we could give to fire victims.
  HaleyMcPherson | Mar 17, 2015 |
to the memory of my mother, Rebecca Poringer Baker
My mother works as a waitress in the Blue Tile Diner.

a book about giving

After a fire destroys their home and possessions, Rosa, her mother, and grandmother save and save until they can afford to buy one big, comfortable chair that all three of them can enjoy.After their home is destroyed by a fire, Rosa, her mother and grandmother save their coins to buy a really comfortable chair for all to enjoy. "A superbly conceived picture book expressing the joyful spirit of a loving family."--Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

A child, her waitress mother, and her grandmother save dimes to buy a comfortable armchair after all their furniture is lost in a fire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,753,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible