An Extraordinary Egg by Leo Lionni

An Extraordinary Egg

by Leo Lionni

7203713,063 (3.8)None

Leo Lionni has such versatile books! This cute story of mistaken identity could be used as a "science" fiction book - I would use it during an animal study unit, and compare and contrast animals that lay eggs.
  ekbrumley | Apr 30, 2014 |
I found this book to be a good read but I felt that the plot was a little to predictable for me. However, this is obviously from my reading standpoint, so it would probably be much more interesting for younger readers. I really enjoyed the writing style because it was entertaining and funny. To be specific, when the frog was referring to the crocodile as a chicken throughout the book, I think young children would find this to be hysterical. The illustrator also did a really good job with illustrating the setting because it was really creative and believable. The moral of the story is that just because you find something and think you know what it is, doesn't mean that it really is that thing - and it could belong to someone else!
  dcully1 | Mar 27, 2014 |
I loved reading An Extraordinary Egg. I love this book because of the author's illustrations and because of the plot line. The illustrations are great because they almost look like a collage. The way the author made his illustrations created a very textured look that appeals to the reader. My favorite illustrations is the page with Jessica the Frog wandering around Pebble Island. The island is created with such great detail and texture and it really adds to the story. I also love the plot line. I love the idea of different animals becoming friends in an unusual situation. The friendship that develops between the alligator and the frogs is entertaining and uplifting. I especially enjoyed when the alligator saved the frog from drowning. The main message I took from this book is that you can find a friend in anyone and in any situation. ( )
  NikkiDahlen | Mar 25, 2014 |
A friendship is made when a frog finds an egg. The other frogs think it is a chicken egg. The egg hatches and the "chicken" and frogs swim together and travel together. When the "chicken is taken back to its mother the chicken ends up being an alligator. This is a good book to use when teaching about diffent kinds of eggs and what hatches from them. This story also can teach a lesson of friendship. ( )
  rwalsh06 | Oct 8, 2013 |
This is a book about Frog who always searches Pebble Island for rocks and one day they find an egg. They think it must be a chicken so even after it hatches they still call it a chicken, even though it has 4 legs and is green and scaly. This is a great book about friendship and is a silly story that children ages 3 & up would enjoy.
  JessicaSchroeder | Sep 25, 2013 |

Is contained in

It's an extraordinary day on Pebble Island for three frogs when one of them discovers a beautiful white egg. They've never seen a chicken egg before, but they're sure that's what this must be. So when the egg hatches and out crawls a long green, scaly creature, they naturally call it . . . a chicken! From award winning-artist Leo Lionni, here's a hilarious case of mistaken identity that children are sure to delight in.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:43 -0400)

Jessica the frog befriends the animal that hatches from an egg she brought home, thinking it is a chicken.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible