Misty (Blood Sisters) by M. Garnet

Misty (Blood Sisters) (edition 2013)

by M. Garnet

2None2,536,085 (2)None
Member:TheBooknerd
Title:Misty (Blood Sisters)
Authors:M. Garnet
Info:eXtasy Books (2013), Kindle Edition
Collections:Your library, SBF Featured, ARCs and Giveaways, StrangeBedfellows, eBooks, Vampire Books
Rating:**

Misty (Blood Sisters) by M. Garnet

Recently added byLexxie, TheBooknerd

Originally posted at Strange Bedfellows: PNR Reviews

To be frank, M. Garnet's writing style did not appeal to me.

The narrative style was remote and omniscient -- like reading a screenplay, which I'm not a fan of. As the reader, I spent much of the story floating above the characters, looking on, rather then getting into their heads. This made it difficult to really connect with the characters and the action. In the past, I've likened this style to watching a movie on mute -- sure, you can follow along with the story, but you can't really feel it.

What was really problematic for me, though, was the overall wordiness. Granted, they're really good words, but there was just too many of them. For example, the first few pages were overloaded with descriptions. Descriptions are nice, but the author exerted too much control over the imagery by providing every little detail. As I read the book, I chafed at the constriction. Especially since the choppy, staccato rhythm of the story was further bogged down by details that weren't strictly pertinent.

The writing loosened up a bit as the story found momentum, especially once some real dialogue began to show up. By the halfway point I was into it, but there were still some rough patches.

I hate to be all bad news, and there were things I liked about the book. Like the sex appeal, for one. Garnet did a lovely job of building up the tension and keeping it hot throughout the book. And Rad was a well-constructed character, one that really carried the story as far as I'm concerned. He totally has the BAMF thing going on, and that's always a good thing in my book.

So my ultimate opinion is that this book has good "bones" but needs polishing. It was intriguing enough that I'm curious about the second book, Minty. But, please, more editing would be lovely. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Feb 4, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible