Bluebird by Bob Staake

Bluebird

by Bob Staake

Bob Staake has written and illustrated a ton of picture books but Bluebird is the only the second one I've read. I chose it specifically for the cover art comprised of basic geometric shapes, a limited pallet and a strikingly blue bird nearly center.

In this wordless picture book, a bluebird catches a boy's attention as he's at school in an urban center. The bird is the only source of saturated color, in an environment otherwise colored by cement, glass and steel.

The boy ends up spending a day of joyful frolicking in the forest or maybe Central Park with his bluebird friend. He's given a chance to reconnect with nature but it comes at a price. Here again is small animal, small child, and bully equation.

These sorts of plots always put me in revenge fantasy mode. They always have — even back when I was a child. Here especially, there is no redemption and no growth on the part of the bullies. They come, they destroy, and then the magic forest mojo happens for the boy's benefit.

Where are the books where the victims learn to stand up for themselves before tragedy happens? ( )
  pussreboots | Mar 22, 2015 |
I really liked this story. The first reason I liked it was, of course, for the illustrations. There was not any written text with this book, so the whole story was told from illustrations. The illustrations in this story were really great through. They were able to convey the plot across easily, and were very appropriate to the mood of the story. Looking through the story the reader is able to understand the emotions that they character is feeling just by witnessing the illustrations. The style of the illustrations is also consistent throughout the story, and have a quite interesting style. The pictures are placed almost as a cartoon. When looking at the story there are multiple things that happen on each page, and this makes the story quite engaging. This also helps to flow the story quite well. It is easier to see the plot from page to page in this format. Another reason I liked the story was because the plot was engaging. As the reader I was waiting to see what would happen with this little boy and bird. It was clear that the little boy was lonely, and this bird was going to be his friend, and I wondered what was going to happen to them. It was quite a surprise to me when the bluebird was attacked. This added a surprise to the story that I did not see coming. Although sad, this also make the story engaging. Another reason that I liked this story was because of how it is able to broaden readers’ perspectives. The story displays what it was like for this little boy to be bullied in, and out of the classroom. Without words, the story is able to show how the boy felt about being bullied. This story is a good way for readers to see how bullying can affect someone. It also allows readers to see how impactful their actions can be on someone else. The last reason that I like this story is because the plot is able to be interpreted differently. This allows readers to pull their own meaning out of the story. For example when the bird is carried at the end of the story some people could interpret this as the bird going to heaven, or possibly just being healed and flying away. Either way, readers are able to use their own imagination and critical thinking to understand the story. I think the big idea of the story is that bullying is hurtful and wrong. The main character was bullied to the point where even a helpless animal was injured, and this is a problem. But, through the story children are able to see the gravity of their actions. ( )
  kmetca1 | Mar 8, 2015 |
Bluebird is about a young boy who is lonely and obviously teased, or bullied by his peers, who realizes one day that a bluebird is following him around. The boy and the bluebird spend a whole day together, doing various activities around the town. At the end the boy and the bird encounter the bullies from the boys school. One of the bullies throws a stick ,trying to hurt the boy, and the bird gets in the way and gives his life for the boy. This book, even with no words has a powerful message. First, the effects that bullying can have on young kids. Secondly it gives a chance to talk to kids about death, and loss, and the feelings that go along with it. This book is amazing, and has a beautiful story of friendship.
  KayleighAdamsRossi | Jun 30, 2014 |
This is a story that would be helpful when discussing how bullying and teasing effects someone. The book has a theme of letting go and loss as well but is well presented. I think lower and upper elementary students would enjoy it.
  charlottestudent | Jun 8, 2014 |
Oh my. I am left with a lump in my throat and tears in my eye. This wordless picture book is a stunner. Please share with children that you care about, because it is emotional and deeply, deeply moving. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |

In his most beautiful and moving work to date, Bob Staake explores the universal themes of loneliness, bullying, and the importance of friendship. In this emotional picture book, readers will be captivated as they follow the journey of a bluebird as he develops a friendship with a young boy and ultimately risks his life to save the boy from harm. Both simple and evocative, this timeless and profound story will resonate with readers young and old.

Bob Staake has been working on this book for 10 years, and he believes it is the story he was born to write.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:45:34 -0400)

A wordless picture book about the inspiring friendship that develops between a bluebird and a young boy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,193,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible