A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell

A Girl Named Helen Keller

by Margo Lundell

I liked this book because it was a simple read yet was able to provide enough necessary details to describe Helen Keller's experiences when and after she became deaf and blind. I also appreciated the illustrations that clearly depicted Keller's childhood and struggles. One thing I've never seen before in a book was a graphic organizer in which there was a sign language chart at the end of the book. I thought this was great for kids to learn a little more about sign language. This book is about perseverance. ( )
  coh4 | Mar 9, 2017 |
At first I thought this story was going to be boring because it is a biography and a lot of times I find biographies to be boring. Once I started reading it I started to really like the book. I liked the book because of the illustrations. The illustrations do a great job showing the years in which the story takes place. For example, Chapter 1 starts out in the 1880's and in all of the illustrations, the woman are all in dresses and aprons, and the men are in suits and ties. They wear big hats and the furniture is very antique looking. Another reason I liked this book was because of its extra page in the back of the book that will help the students be engaged with the book. Since Helen Keller was deaf and blind they have a sign language chart in the back of the book to teach you the alphabet. This gives the students a chance to learn sign language themselves and connect more with the story. The big idea of this story was to inform readers about Helen Keller and her experiences as a child growing up deaf and blind. ( )
  mlambe12 | Oct 5, 2016 |
A great read about Helen Keller, written for younger or struggling readers. The book focuses on Helen's childhood of being blind and deaf. We learn about her parents writing to the Perkins School for the Blind in Boston, Massachusetts and asking for them to send a teacher. Anne Sullivan was sent and taught Helen for the next 50 years. Helen Keller's life accomplishments were listed briefly at the end, as this book focuses on her childhood. ( )
  TiffanyMorgenweck | Jul 28, 2016 |
This book is about a girl that overcame the obstacles with hard work and perseverance. This book provides life situations which would be troublesome for any child, much less a girl that is both deaf and blind. The book echos themes of consistency, growth, and inspiration for all who read. It also shows that knowledge is power. A child once thought as a mischievous and as a trouble maker, became an author, teacher, and role model for many others. I also enjoyed how detailed the illustrations were throughout the book, a picture on every page brought life into this chapter book. ( )
  JanaeCamardelle | Jan 18, 2016 |
I liked this book A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell. This book offered a simple and condensed biography of Helen Keller. One reason I liked this book is because it was short and to the point, it gave me the ability to learn about someone I knew little about. This book was compressed to only include key details and doesn't indulge in unnecessary facts. “Helen lived. But she was not the same after her illness. Helen was deaf and blind, but she was bright too. She copied everyone.” I also liked the end of this book, it had the hand sign alphabet printed on one page. This was fun to try even though I failed miserably. It made me connect with those who need to do this every day. I couldn't imagine the speed and knowledge needed to hold a conversation. The big idea for this book is to inform. This story informed me about the trials faced in the life of Helen Keller as she grew up deaf and blind. ( )
  EmmaBrockwell | Oct 25, 2014 |

Read about the life of a blind and deaf girl who brought hope to other people in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

An easy-to-read version of the remarkable and inspiring story of Helen Keller and her special teacher, Annie Sullivan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,572,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible