Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard

Miss Nelson Is Missing! (1977)

by Harry Allard

Other authors: James Marshall (Illustrator)

Series: Miss Nelson (1)

My professor in an education course read this book to my entire class to show us how teachers are often portrayed and how classroom management can mean everything. Great book for simple laughs and instruction. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Sep 7, 2014 |
This book would be good for teaching character traits because of the way she pretends to be someone else There is so many things to talk about and traits to introduce to the students.
  AMaffett | Apr 30, 2014 |
I loved this book so much as a child! Kids complain about their teachers until they get a substitute!
  EmilySansovich | Apr 27, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book and it is one of my favorites from when I was a child. I liked this book, because the ending has a very interesting twist that makes the story more engaging. In the end evil Miss Swamp was really sweet Miss Nelson disguising herself in order to get the children to behave. I also like this book because the illustrations helped to portray the differences in the "two" teachers. The pictures of Miss Swamp depicted her as mean and ugly with dark clothing, while Miss Nelson was depicted as sweet and nice with bright clothing.
The overall message of this book was to not take anything for granted, because the students took Miss Nelson for granted, but when she disappeared they missed her greatly. ( )
  CassandraQuigley | Apr 15, 2014 |
I like this story because of the plot. I think the plot of this story adds suspense for the reader. For example, when Miss Nelson does not show up for class but Miss Viola Swamp does, the students are all worried and curious to find out where Miss Nelson went. I think this aspect of the plot draws the reader in and encourages them to participate in the “search” for Miss Nelson. I think the plot also presents a good message. I think the central message of the story is respect. The students in Miss Nelson’s classroom do not respect her. They goof off, don’t listen during story time, and are constantly making spitballs and paper airplanes. When Miss Viola Swamp is their teacher for a few days and she is mean and strict, the students’ attitudes change, and they miss Miss Nelson. I think the book demonstrates to students the importance of being respectful. I think it can be used as a book to read to students in the beginning of the year. The students can point out the behavior in Miss Nelson’s classroom and use this to develop their own set of rules for their classroom. It can serve as an introduction to creating class rules of your own. ( )
  awalls4 | Apr 10, 2014 |

Allard, Harryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marshall, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For My Sister Jacqueline - H. A.

For Nedd Takahaski - J. M.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
This book is written by Harry Allard and illustrated by James Marshall.

The kids in Room 207 were misbehaving again. Spitballs stuck to the ceiling.  Paper planes whizzing through the air. They were the worst-behaved class in the whole school.
So begins this quirky classic, first published in 1977 and still relevant today as a lighthearted reminder to show our appreciation to those we value. The students don’t proffer a shred of respect for their good-natured teacher Miss Nelson, but when the witchy substitute Miss Viola Swamp appears on the scene, they start to regret their own wicked ways. James Marshall’s scritchy, cartoonish full-color ink and wash illustrations are hilarious. A back-to-school perennial!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:50 -0400)

The kids in Room 207 take advantage of their teacher's good nature until she disappears and they are faced with a vile substitute.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,980,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible