Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard

Miss Nelson Is Missing! (1977)

by Harry Allard

Other authors: James Marshall (Illustrator)

Series: Miss Nelson (1)

In my opinion, “Miss Nelson Is Missing!” is a great book and a good teaching tool. This is a book that could be read to a class on a day when they are misbehaving considering the main message of the story is to appreciate and treat your teacher with respect. This could also be read to a class on an ordinary day because it is a fun read. The illustrations are very unique and colorful. The dialogue between the students is very engaging when they are making predictions on what could have happened to Miss Nelson. One of the students predicts that she may have gotten gobbled up by sharks and another predicts that she was attacked by a swarm of butterflies. I think that a young audience would really enjoy these predictions and find them very funny. I really liked the characters (Miss Nelson, the detective, and the new teacher) in this book because they were lively, interesting, and intricately illustrated. I liked the plot of this book because it took an appropriate amount of time for the students to look for and wonder where Miss Nelson went. ( )
  marmig2 | Feb 22, 2015 |
Comfort book, almost all students have read it. I like to read it on a day when the students have worked really hard on a project and just need to mile and enjoy an old favorite. It also is good to show students how this plot is predictable, and then discuss how as their books become more complex in fourth grade, so will story lines. If you are a teacher, and know that you are going to be absent in advance, it might be fun to read the day before you plan to be out-get them wondering. ( )
  Taranto | Dec 2, 2014 |
This is a good book for teachers to read to their class if they are acting up or if you just want a fun read. The students realize that they should have respected and appreciated their teacher. But it was too late for them to tell their teacher how much they appreciated her. The illustration are hilarious and full of color helping to keep the students even more engaged in the story. I would read this to my class as a fun book to start the beginning of the year to bring humor into my classroom and to hopefully gain respect and appreciation right off the bat from my class. This book is nice since there are many sequels that you can have these sequels as a fun read aloud when there is extra time in the school day. Overall I would recommend this series as a fun read aloud when available in class or as a fun family book to read at home.
  lfasce1 | Dec 1, 2014 |
Funny and Classic book series that all students enjoy reading. ( )
  magarcia | Nov 30, 2014 |
I used this book to teach how good readers predict and confirm their predictions through a think aloud. This book would also, be great to teach guided comprehension skills. This would be a great book to use for readers response. ( )
  Spinea1 | Nov 23, 2014 |

Allard, Harryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marshall, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For My Sister Jacqueline - H. A.

For Nedd Takahaski - J. M.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
This book is written by Harry Allard and illustrated by James Marshall.

The kids in Room 207 were misbehaving again. Spitballs stuck to the ceiling.  Paper planes whizzing through the air. They were the worst-behaved class in the whole school.
So begins this quirky classic, first published in 1977 and still relevant today as a lighthearted reminder to show our appreciation to those we value. The students don’t proffer a shred of respect for their good-natured teacher Miss Nelson, but when the witchy substitute Miss Viola Swamp appears on the scene, they start to regret their own wicked ways. James Marshall’s scritchy, cartoonish full-color ink and wash illustrations are hilarious. A back-to-school perennial!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:50 -0400)

The kids in Room 207 take advantage of their teacher's good nature until she disappears and they are faced with a vile substitute.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,196,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible