Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard

Miss Nelson Is Missing! (original 1977; edition 1985)

by Harry Allard, James Marshall

Title:Miss Nelson Is Missing!
Authors:Harry Allard
Other authors:James Marshall
Info:Sandpiper (1985), Paperback, 32 pages

Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard (1977)

I actually really liked this book when I read it as a child and now, when I am re-reading it. The plot is very unique, the illustrations fit the tone of the story, and the author kept the story a guessing game to the end. I really liked this plot, as it is very unique and not something I had read before, or really read after this book, making this book very interesting. Having a "substitute" come in and act vastly different than the original teacher to try to teach the kids how to properly act during the school day. Another reason I really liked this book was because of the style of illustrations and how the people are drawn in a different style than normal. The author achieves this buy making the kids look a little similar to the evil teacher, as they are said to bad kids, but their features get a little bit softer as they miss their original teacher more and more. She also uses darker colors in the beginning and moves to lighter colors in the end. The final reason I liked this book is the fact that the author kept the readers guessing who the evil teacher was till the end, and then she didn't clearly state it, making the readers having to use context clues and make inferences. This will keeps the kid engaged in the story and using their comprehension strategies to guess who the evil teacher is. The message of this book was to always be nice and listen, as you might never know if you will get something worse than you have. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Nov 28, 2015 |
One of my favorite books from elementary. This book is about appreciation and respect for the adults you have in your life. ( )
  Annamabry | Nov 17, 2015 |
A great book to read in a class room! ( )
  shelbewelbee | Nov 15, 2015 |
This book is about a group of students who were very disrespectful in class. One day they find out that they dear Miss Nelson is missing, and in replace of her was mean Miss Viola Swamp. The quest is on! Where is Miss Nelson? This books covers a lot of themes that teachers can relate to in the classroom such as, manners, respect, and classroom conduct. The lexile level is 340L, great for K-2. ( )
  ktboyd | Nov 13, 2015 |
Good to teach about behaving and teaching kids how to act when there is a sub
  Stacey_Nava | Nov 8, 2015 |

Allard, Harryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marshall, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For My Sister Jacqueline - H. A.

For Nedd Takahaski - J. M.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
This book is written by Harry Allard and illustrated by James Marshall.

The kids in Room 207 were misbehaving again. Spitballs stuck to the ceiling.  Paper planes whizzing through the air. They were the worst-behaved class in the whole school.
So begins this quirky classic, first published in 1977 and still relevant today as a lighthearted reminder to show our appreciation to those we value. The students don’t proffer a shred of respect for their good-natured teacher Miss Nelson, but when the witchy substitute Miss Viola Swamp appears on the scene, they start to regret their own wicked ways. James Marshall’s scritchy, cartoonish full-color ink and wash illustrations are hilarious. A back-to-school perennial!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

The kids in Room 207 take advantage of their teacher's good nature until she disappears and they are faced with a vile substitute.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible