Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard

Miss Nelson Is Missing! (original 1977; edition 1985)

by Harry Allard, James Marshall

Title:Miss Nelson Is Missing!
Authors:Harry Allard
Other authors:James Marshall
Info:Sandpiper (1985), Paperback, 32 pages

Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard (1977)

This is such a fun book! This as always been one of favorite, even from when I was in school. As a future teacher I like the idea of Miss Nelson running away to make her class behave. ( )
  AmberHester | Oct 16, 2016 |
This book is very cute. The illustrator did a great job in creating a mood that changes during the book. It is fun for the students to hear and try to discover the mystery of mrs. Viola Swamp.
  KJoPlante | Oct 14, 2016 |
It shows kids to behave and that rules are important because it helps gain respect. It shows kids that there are mean teachers and nice ones and you should treat them with respect.
  Jennamg123 | Oct 13, 2016 |
Summary: This book starts in room 207, Miss Nelson's room. The kids in Miss Nelson's class were very mischievous. Miss Nelson knew this would not do, she knew that something would need to be done. The Next day Miss Nelson did not come to school instead Miss Viola Swamp came to school in her place. Miss Viola Swamp was very stern, and gave the kids a lot of homework. When Miss Nelson did not come to school the next day the kids started to get worried. They went to the police, and even to her house. But the only thing they found at her house was Miss Viola Swamp. The children ran away, and the next day at school Miss Nelson was back. The children were on their best behavior from that day on.

Personal Reaction- I love this book. I think it would be something fun to leave for the substitute on a day when I can not make it to school. I have a faint memory of a substitute reading this to me. Except this particular substitute happened to be my kindergarten teacher's twin sister. So I thought that my teacher was just trying to pull on over on me for the longest time. It wasn't until later in the year when I saw them both together that I realized that my teacher really did have a twin sister. This book is tied to the memory and because of that this is one of my favorite books of all time.

Extension ideas:

Writing Prompt- What would happen if your teacher came to school one day, but her students did not? Would she be scared or would she be happy? Where would she go to look for her students? Would she go to the other class rooms, the cafeteria, or maybe even the gym? Where does she finally find her students?

Game- Each student has a popsicle stick on one side it has Miss Nelson's face, and on the other side it has Miss Viola Swamp's face. I'll said a word that describes one of them and they will flip their popsicle stick over to the one that it describes. Some words for Miss Nelson could be Nice, sweet, or pretty. Some words for Miss Viola Swamp could be strict, creepy, or cranky.

Craft: Students create a missing poster for miss nelson. On a note card they could use words that describe her, and glue it on to their drawing of her.

Compare and Contrast- The students can make a Venn Diagram describing the similarities and differences between their own teacher and Miss Viola Swamp. ( )
  SamanthaPeel | Sep 14, 2016 |
This is one of my favorite children's books. I would absolutely love to do this as a teacher in my own classroom one day. This is a great story that students will think is absolutely hilarious and crazy. The illustrations in this story just help to make it an even better book. They look as though they are hand drawn and water colored, just fun and bright. ( )
  HRegister95 | Sep 12, 2016 |

Allard, Harryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marshall, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For My Sister Jacqueline - H. A.

For Nedd Takahaski - J. M.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.

The kids in Room 207 were misbehaving again. Spitballs stuck to the ceiling.  Paper planes whizzing through the air. They were the worst-behaved class in the whole school.
So begins this quirky classic, first published in 1977 and still relevant today as a lighthearted reminder to show our appreciation to those we value. The students don’t proffer a shred of respect for their good-natured teacher Miss Nelson, but when the witchy substitute Miss Viola Swamp appears on the scene, they start to regret their own wicked ways. James Marshall’s scritchy, cartoonish full-color ink and wash illustrations are hilarious. A back-to-school perennial!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

The kids in Room 207 take advantage of their teacher's good nature until she disappears and they are faced with a vile substitute.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,830,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible