Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard

Miss Nelson Is Missing! (original 1977; edition 1985)

by Harry Allard, James Marshall (Author), Harry Allard (Illustrator)

Member:hannavishny
Title:Miss Nelson Is Missing!
Authors:Harry Allard
Other authors:James Marshall (Author), Harry Allard (Illustrator)
Info:Sandpiper (1985), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Your library, Books published before 2000, Realistic Fiction, Traditional Literature
Tags:school, teacher, students, rowdy, sweet, nice, mean

Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard (1977)

“Miss Nelson is Missing” is one of my favorite childhood books. The illustrations (by James Marshall) are such an important part of the story, especially in the last frame when the reader can see the dress of “Miss Viola Swamp” hanging in Miss Nelson’s closet. It’s also interesting to note that both characters share the same pink, round cheeks: another clue to the surprise! I also just adore the plot itself. I like that the students, the other main characters, go through such a drastic change of acting up in the beginning to being so relieved to have Miss Nelson back in the end that they behave wonderfully. In such a short story, Harry Allard teaches a valuable lesson in appreciating your teachers. I think this message is a great thing for every student and teacher to read! ( )
  ElizabethHaaser | Oct 13, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. The author uses vivid images and colors in order to describe each scene in detail. This book is humorous and speaks to the popularity among classrooms these days. The language is easy to follow along with. It is descriptive and gives insight to what actions the characters are about to do/doing. The writing style is simple and comprehensive. The characters are made up, however, depict any average class of students that act out. They are well-developed and the author uses multiculturalism in order to include and depict a classroom where everyone looks different but is still accepted for who they are. This book is written in the 3rd point of view (they, he/she), meaning that the author tells the story of a class and a teacher as someone on the outside looking in. The plot revolves around Miss Nelson and their missing teacher. It is organized and follows a steady and continuous pace. There all aspects of a book depicted in this picture book such as plot, setting, conflict, characters, etc... The tension builds when Miss Nelson goes missing and the class looses control. The illustrations help enhance the readers understanding and the plot about which the book is centered around. The illustrations fit the written text and are also appropriate to the mood and flow of the story. This picture book allows young readers to see how students misbehave and learn the proper way to behave in class. It also allows them to learn the importance of respect and the key to forming relationships. As well as pointing out the imagination and humor, the author toils around the inconsiderate and unappreciative nature of these students. These are two major characteristics that are important when being a student in a classroom. Overall, I loved this book and would utilize it in my own classroom because it teaches children the values that come with being a student as well as a person. ( )
  eoertl1 | Oct 1, 2014 |
My professor in an education course read this book to my entire class to show us how teachers are often portrayed and how classroom management can mean everything. Great book for simple laughs and instruction. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Sep 7, 2014 |
This book would be good for teaching character traits because of the way she pretends to be someone else There is so many things to talk about and traits to introduce to the students.
  AMaffett | Apr 30, 2014 |
I loved this book so much as a child! Kids complain about their teachers until they get a substitute!
  EmilySansovich | Apr 27, 2014 |

Allard, Harryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marshall, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For My Sister Jacqueline - H. A.

For Nedd Takahaski - J. M.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
This book is written by Harry Allard and illustrated by James Marshall.

The kids in Room 207 were misbehaving again. Spitballs stuck to the ceiling.  Paper planes whizzing through the air. They were the worst-behaved class in the whole school.
So begins this quirky classic, first published in 1977 and still relevant today as a lighthearted reminder to show our appreciation to those we value. The students don’t proffer a shred of respect for their good-natured teacher Miss Nelson, but when the witchy substitute Miss Viola Swamp appears on the scene, they start to regret their own wicked ways. James Marshall’s scritchy, cartoonish full-color ink and wash illustrations are hilarious. A back-to-school perennial!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:50 -0400)

The kids in Room 207 take advantage of their teacher's good nature until she disappears and they are faced with a vile substitute.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible