Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard

Miss Nelson Is Missing! (original 1977; edition 1985)

by Harry Allard, James Marshall (Author), Harry Allard (Illustrator)

Member:hannavishny
Title:Miss Nelson Is Missing!
Authors:Harry Allard
Other authors:James Marshall (Author), Harry Allard (Illustrator)
Info:Sandpiper (1985), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Your library, Books published before 2000, Realistic Fiction, Traditional Literature
Tags:school, teacher, students, rowdy, sweet, nice, mean

Miss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry Allard (1977)

This book would be good for teaching character traits because of the way she pretends to be someone else There is so many things to talk about and traits to introduce to the students.
  AMaffett | Apr 30, 2014 |
I loved this book so much as a child! Kids complain about their teachers until they get a substitute!
  EmilySansovich | Apr 27, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book and it is one of my favorites from when I was a child. I liked this book, because the ending has a very interesting twist that makes the story more engaging. In the end evil Miss Swamp was really sweet Miss Nelson disguising herself in order to get the children to behave. I also like this book because the illustrations helped to portray the differences in the "two" teachers. The pictures of Miss Swamp depicted her as mean and ugly with dark clothing, while Miss Nelson was depicted as sweet and nice with bright clothing.
The overall message of this book was to not take anything for granted, because the students took Miss Nelson for granted, but when she disappeared they missed her greatly. ( )
  CassandraQuigley | Apr 15, 2014 |
I like this story because of the plot. I think the plot of this story adds suspense for the reader. For example, when Miss Nelson does not show up for class but Miss Viola Swamp does, the students are all worried and curious to find out where Miss Nelson went. I think this aspect of the plot draws the reader in and encourages them to participate in the “search” for Miss Nelson. I think the plot also presents a good message. I think the central message of the story is respect. The students in Miss Nelson’s classroom do not respect her. They goof off, don’t listen during story time, and are constantly making spitballs and paper airplanes. When Miss Viola Swamp is their teacher for a few days and she is mean and strict, the students’ attitudes change, and they miss Miss Nelson. I think the book demonstrates to students the importance of being respectful. I think it can be used as a book to read to students in the beginning of the year. The students can point out the behavior in Miss Nelson’s classroom and use this to develop their own set of rules for their classroom. It can serve as an introduction to creating class rules of your own. ( )
  awalls4 | Apr 10, 2014 |
I have vivid memories of my elementary teacher reading this book to my class and we all loved it! I enjoyed reminiscing and reading this book again as a future educator. The first reason that I liked this book is because of the unusual illustrations. The faces of all of the children and adults look strange and are drawn simply with two dots for eyes and a half circle for a mouth. I especially like the depiction of Miss Viola Swamp and her long crooked nose, jutting chin, and facial mole. A quote from The New York Times is featured on the back of the book that sums my thoughts up perfectly: “If all teachers looked as goofy as Mr. Marshall makes these two, the earth would never again have a truancy problem." The second reason I liked this book is because of the mysterious plot. Miss Nelson class has been frequently misbehaving, so another teacher named Miss Viola Swamp enters the classroom and whips the students into shape. The students begin to miss Miss Nelson, and when she finally comes back, they behave perfectly for her. The second to last page shows Miss Nelson’s closet with a black dress and a wig box, and the reader has to infer whether or not Miss Nelson was actually Miss Viola Swamp. It causes the reader to use context clues and illustration clues to make their own ending. I remember being so torn up about whether Miss Nelson would really do that to her students or if the black dress was just a coincidence. The main idea of this story is that when you take advantage of someone, it will come back to hurt you, so treat others as you would like to be treated. ( )
  apetru5 | Apr 8, 2014 |

Allard, Harryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marshall, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For My Sister Jacqueline - H. A.

For Nedd Takahaski - J. M.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
The kids in room 207 were misbehaving again.
This book is written by Harry Allard and illustrated by James Marshall.

The kids in Room 207 were misbehaving again. Spitballs stuck to the ceiling.  Paper planes whizzing through the air. They were the worst-behaved class in the whole school.
So begins this quirky classic, first published in 1977 and still relevant today as a lighthearted reminder to show our appreciation to those we value. The students don’t proffer a shred of respect for their good-natured teacher Miss Nelson, but when the witchy substitute Miss Viola Swamp appears on the scene, they start to regret their own wicked ways. James Marshall’s scritchy, cartoonish full-color ink and wash illustrations are hilarious. A back-to-school perennial!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:50 -0400)

The kids in Room 207 take advantage of their teacher's good nature until she disappears and they are faced with a vile substitute.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,363,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible