Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a…

Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul (2005)

by John Eldredge, Stasi Eldredge

Has its decent parts, but on the whole, not a good book. Too much Jesus-is-my-boyfriend theology, among other problems. A 2000 word review here. ( )
  chriskrycho | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is my 3rd go-around with this book and given the free time I've had on my time off, I am glad that I actually finished it. It gave me a new perspective and reminder how blessed I am to be a woman of God and reminded about how beautiful and precious I am as a woman. At times, it was a lot of digest in such a short time. If you are interested in reading this, you might want to read it in shorter chunks than I did (a chapter or two a day). It's a lot of information and some of the digging into the baggage that I've carried around with me from my past was difficult to go through in such a short time, but it was definitely worth it. A must-read for women! ( )
  jasminemarie | Jan 17, 2011 |
This is a wonderful book for a mature Christian woman. Women who have gone through various life trials will benefit the most as it speaks to a woman who has tried to do it all herself and has become disenchanted with the results or has become weary in trying to fix their own lives by themselves.

My favorite part was the description of the love affair that the Lord wants to have with every christian woman and how he woes her through HIS actions. He always calls for her and her beautiful heart to follow after him, to come closer. The description of how a woman is defined by God and not by a man is especially poignant to those who have tried the worldly method and failed. Here is the reason why so many christian woman are so unhappy and unfulfilled!

Non-Christians will probably have a difficult time understanding a lot of the references. Younger woman who do not a depth of life experiences to draw on may find it difficult understanding the themes also. ( )
  DivineMissW | Oct 28, 2010 |
This is an intense book where each chapter has you looking deep inside yourself and outside yourself to God. It was not a quick read for me but I would recommend it to every woman. ( )
  deltadawn | May 29, 2010 |
This book written by a Christian couple is based on the premise that a woman longs for three things; to be romanced, an irreplaceable role in a great adventure, and beauty to unveil. Although, in summary, it sounds quite cheesy, Stasi and John guide the reader on a journey through scripture, literature, and real experiences that tend to lack empirical and statistical evidence yet resonates within the recesses of the mind.That God created man, both male and female, in his own image is an accepted Christian doctrine. The authors take this doctrine a step further by expressing the divine nature of womanhood. He specifically blessed us with qualities that are feminine; relational, beautiful and seeking validation. It is their goal to assist the female reader unveil her femininity and connect with God and her man.Validation is found within the books pages as the authors reveal that God is beautiful and glorious. He seeks to have an intimate relationship with His children. He seeks our honest hearts and implores us to seek Him.It is easy to assume that every woman carries with her wounds that have not healed. Most pop psychology books provide ample fodder that our parents have wounded us. I tire of this mentality. It quickly establishes that our parents are the enemy rather than part of a support system that shaped our diverse personalities and independent selves. This mentality also relieves the grown child of any responsibility to respond differently to stimuli.On the other hand, John and Stasi Eldredge offer compelling arguments for accepting our Divine Nature and infinite worth as Children of God. A God who reserves a piece within His heart that only we can fill. A god who can validate our existence and provide shelter and peace.This book will not appeal to every reader. While reading it, I found gems of truth that resonated within my soul. In my attempts to articulate these truths at a later time, they sound sloppy and cheesy.Bottom line: We possess divine matter. The qualities that are belittled and squelched for the perceived lack of strength are really our divine nature. It is the woman who seeks out relationships and deeply connects to those around her. It is the glue that holds society together. We are the ezer kenegdo, a beautiful Latin word that can not be directly translated into the English language and is erroneously penned as "help meet" to our husbands, conjuring utilitarian images. In a more accurate picture, we are the part of Adam that he lacks. Together we complete each other and hold a healthy and vital balance of who God is. ( )
  amusingmother | May 16, 2010 |

Eldredge, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eldredge, Stasimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sometimes it's hard to be a woman.
- Tammy Wynette

(Chapter One)
He saw that Fatima's eyes were filled with tears.
"You're crying?"
"I'm a woman of the desert," she said, averting her face.
"But above all, I'm a woman."
- Paulo Coelho

(Chapter One)
You belong among the wildflowers
You belong in a boat out at sea
You belong with your love on your arm
You belong somewhere you feel free.
- Tom Petty

(Chapter One)

To the captivating women we are blessed to call our friends.
Let's do it."
2nd author: Stasi Eldredge

Every woman was once a little girl. And every little girl holds in her heart her most precious dreams. She longs to be swept up into a romance, to play an irreplaceable role in a great adventure, to be the Beauty of the story. And yet―how many women do you know who ever find that life?

Most women think they have to settle for a life of efficiency and duty, striving to be the women they "ought" to be but often feeling they have failed. Sadly, too many messages for Christian women add to the pressure. "Do these ten things, and you will be a godly woman." The effect has not been good on the feminine soul.

The message of Captivating is this: Your heart matters more than anything else in all creation. The desires you had as a little girl and the longings you still feel are telling you of the life God created you to live. He offers to rescue your heart and release you to live as a fully alive and feminine woman. A woman who is truly captivating.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:22 -0400)

Every little girl has dreams of being rescued by the hero, of being swept away into a great adventure, of being the beautiful princess. Sadly, when women grow up, they are taught to be tough, efficient, and independent. Many Christian women are tired, struggling under the weight of the pressure to be a "good servant," a nurturing caregiver, passionate lover, or capable home manager. What the Wild at Heart Field Manual did for men, the Captivating GuideBook can do for women. By revealing the three distinctly female desires every woman shares, John and Stasi Eldredge invite participants to recover their feminine hearts, which may have suffered many wounds but were originally defined in the image of a passionate God.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,527,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible