Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a…

Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul (original 2005; edition 2007)

by John Eldredge, Stasi Eldredge

1,876None3,709 (3.9)13
Member:alsacel
Title:Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul
Authors:John Eldredge
Other authors:Stasi Eldredge
Info:Thomas Nelson (2007), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Box C, Religion and Philosophy

Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John Eldredge (2005)

Not truly a selfhelp because they are both Christians. It looks at the unique problems that a woman must deal with, mostly of the psychological and emotional variety. Made me glad I wasn’t a woman. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Has its decent parts, but on the whole, not a good book. Too much Jesus-is-my-boyfriend theology, among other problems. A 2000 word review here. ( )
  chriskrycho | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is my 3rd go-around with this book and given the free time I've had on my time off, I am glad that I actually finished it. It gave me a new perspective and reminder how blessed I am to be a woman of God and reminded about how beautiful and precious I am as a woman. At times, it was a lot of digest in such a short time. If you are interested in reading this, you might want to read it in shorter chunks than I did (a chapter or two a day). It's a lot of information and some of the digging into the baggage that I've carried around with me from my past was difficult to go through in such a short time, but it was definitely worth it. A must-read for women! ( )
  jasminemarie | Jan 17, 2011 |
This is a wonderful book for a mature Christian woman. Women who have gone through various life trials will benefit the most as it speaks to a woman who has tried to do it all herself and has become disenchanted with the results or has become weary in trying to fix their own lives by themselves.

My favorite part was the description of the love affair that the Lord wants to have with every christian woman and how he woes her through HIS actions. He always calls for her and her beautiful heart to follow after him, to come closer. The description of how a woman is defined by God and not by a man is especially poignant to those who have tried the worldly method and failed. Here is the reason why so many christian woman are so unhappy and unfulfilled!

Non-Christians will probably have a difficult time understanding a lot of the references. Younger woman who do not a depth of life experiences to draw on may find it difficult understanding the themes also. ( )
  DivineMissW | Oct 28, 2010 |
This is an intense book where each chapter has you looking deep inside yourself and outside yourself to God. It was not a quick read for me but I would recommend it to every woman. ( )
  deltadawn | May 29, 2010 |

Eldredge, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eldredge, Stasimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sometimes it's hard to be a woman.
- Tammy Wynette

(Chapter One)
He saw that Fatima's eyes were filled with tears.
"You're crying?"
"I'm a woman of the desert," she said, averting her face.
"But above all, I'm a woman."
- Paulo Coelho

(Chapter One)
You belong among the wildflowers
You belong in a boat out at sea
You belong with your love on your arm
You belong somewhere you feel free.
- Tom Petty

(Chapter One)

To the captivating women we are blessed to call our friends.
Let's do it."
2nd author: Stasi Eldredge

Every woman was once a little girl. And every little girl holds in her heart her most precious dreams. She longs to be swept up into a romance, to play an irreplaceable role in a great adventure, to be the Beauty of the story. And yet―how many women do you know who ever find that life?

Most women think they have to settle for a life of efficiency and duty, striving to be the women they "ought" to be but often feeling they have failed. Sadly, too many messages for Christian women add to the pressure. "Do these ten things, and you will be a godly woman." The effect has not been good on the feminine soul.

The message of Captivating is this: Your heart matters more than anything else in all creation. The desires you had as a little girl and the longings you still feel are telling you of the life God created you to live. He offers to rescue your heart and release you to live as a fully alive and feminine woman. A woman who is truly captivating.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:22 -0400)

Every little girl has dreams of being rescued by the hero, of being swept away into a great adventure, of being the beautiful princess. Sadly, when women grow up, they are taught to be tough, efficient, and independent. Many Christian women are tired, struggling under the weight of the pressure to be a "good servant," a nurturing caregiver, passionate lover, or capable home manager. What the Wild at Heart Field Manual did for men, the Captivating GuideBook can do for women. By revealing the three distinctly female desires every woman shares, John and Stasi Eldredge invite participants to recover their feminine hearts, which may have suffered many wounds but were originally defined in the image of a passionate God.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,478,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible