Nim's Island by Wendy Orr

Nim's Island (1999)

by Wendy Orr

Series: Nim (1)

English (15)  Spanish (2)  All languages (17)
I adored this tale of a brave little girl surviving on her own on an island, and so did my ELL310 kids. I mean, this book is everything I like about kidlit: plucky female protagonists, an almost-fantastical but still probable setting, fun animal friends, details on the daily routines of living "off the grid." ( )
  stephxsu | Dec 3, 2013 |
This is a book about a girl named Nim and how her dad leaves to go and study plankton for three days and she has to stay on the island alone. Of course she was completally alone she had her trusty animal friends and a new e-mail pal. At first everything is fine when her dad leaves for a few days until, she loses communications with her dad and travelors start showing up on their private island. So now Nim needs help from who animal friends and her new e-mail pal to keep the travelors away from their island and to help find Nim's dad.
I liked this book and enjoyed how the animals also helped to get the travelors off the island. I had a good time reading this book. I really thought it was a fantastic book with some cool pictures in it. I also like how Nim's new e-mail pal helps Nim too. This book was so good that I plan on reading it again sometime.
  AwesomeHannah | Oct 29, 2010 |
A fun adventure book that I will use for this year's mother/daughter book club. Kind of a Swiss Family Robinson tale. ( )
  phh333 | Jun 27, 2010 |
Nim's Island is a fun and well-developed and complete adventure. Wendy Orr has crafted a great story with all the elements that entertain and transport the reader into the story--a well-developed and thoughtful plot, colorful, cute and interesting characters and simply a good story to be told. As a teacher and fellow writer, I am always looking for children's books that demonstrate a complete story that includes characters you care about, a plot that has a strong beginning, middle and end, and enough actions, adventure and places to stop and dream. Also, I appreciate how Orr references modern-day technology with a secluded island life and makes technology use familiar and common (great for incorporating discussions about technology and communication within the classroom). This book is a great choice for a classroom, whether for reading aloud, using to teach writing or discussing within a book group. ( )
  autumnreads | Apr 6, 2009 |
Dank an meine Eltern, die ihre Logbücher und Fotoalben ausgegraben haben, um mich bei "Wie versteckt man eine Insel?" zu unterstützen. Und auch an meine gesamte Familie, meine Freunde und all meine Internet-Bekanntschaften, die mit großer Geduld Fragen nach Kokosnüssen, pfeifenden Muscheln und gebrochenen Rudern beantwortet haben.
Mitten im weiten, blauen Ozean lag eine Insel; auf dieser Insel stand eine Palme und hoch oben auf dieser Palme saß ein Mädchen.

A girl. An iguana. An island. And e-mail. Meet Nim–a modern-day Robinson Crusoe! She can chop down bananas with a machete, climb tall palm trees, and start a fire with a piece of glass. So she’s not afraid when her scientist dad sails off to study plankton for three days, leaving her alone on their island. Besides, it’s not as if no one’s looking after her–she’s got a sea lion to mother her and an iguana for comic relief. She also has an interesting new e-mail pal. But when her father’s cell-phone calls stop coming and disaster seems near, Nim has to be stronger and braver than she’s ever been before.

And she’ll need all her friends to help her.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:26 -0400)

Nim loves her island home and the animals she shares it with even while her scientist father is away doing research, but trouble is on the way and a new e-mail friend could be the only one who can help.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,656,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible