The Caretaker by A .X. Ahmad

The Caretaker (original 2013; edition 2013)

by A .X. Ahmad

Member:skrishna
Title:The Caretaker
Authors:A .X. Ahmad
Info:Minotaur Books (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Have read

The Caretaker by A .X. Ahmad (2013)

Really enjoyed this read:great main character and very interesting backstory. The "thriller" part of the plot was much less interesting to me than the characters' daily lives and struggles. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
Former Indian Army Captain Ranjit Singh, after being court-martialed for a mission gone terribly wrong, is self-exiled to Massachusetts with his family. He is barely scraping by on Martha's Vineyard, working as the winter caretaker for the rich summer residents of the island, when a chain of events gets his family picked up by Homeland Security and puts Ranjit on the run for his life. This is a well-told conspiracy story with an intriguing hero and an interesting glimpse of Indian culture. An unexpected page turner for me, picked up on a whim at the library. ( )
  sturlington | Sep 5, 2016 |
Disclaimer: I was provided a free copy through Good Reads First Reads.
Review: The microfilm, lies, deception, mystery, and intrigue makes for a great story and production. "A gripping tale of hidden histories, political intrigue and dangerous attractions, A.X. Ahmad's The Caretaker introduces a new hero for our times: an immigrant caught between two worlds and a man caught between two loves." Back Cover
I agree with quote from back cover. ( )
  sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
Disclaimer: I was provided a free copy through Good Reads First Reads.
I agree with quote from back cover. ( )
  sar96 | Jan 2, 2014 |
I was totally captivated with the writing---very readable, page by fast page. Although the story flowed right along, it's another case where the ending sort of hits you and you realize you are left wondering...what's next?

Big relief---I just checked, and as an earlier person wrote, this book IS part of a trilogy and the second book, “Bollywood Taxi,” will be published in 2014. "In it, Ranjit is working as a cab driver in New York and is accused of the murder of a famous Bollywood actress who is now living there." Just knowing that book is coming makes The Caretaker all the better ( )
  nyiper | Oct 23, 2013 |

"Ranjit Singh, a former Indian Army Captain trying to escape a shameful past, lives with his family among the migrant workers of Martha's Vineyard, working as a caretaker of the vacation homes of the rich and powerful. Needing a place to stay, Ranjit moves his family into an empty Senator's home. Happily, but illegally ensconced in the house, he tries to forget his brief affair with Anna, the wife of an African-American senator, and focus on providing for his family. But one night, their idyll is shattered when mysterious armed men break into the house, looking for an antique porcelain doll. Forced to flee, Ranjit is pursued and hunted by unknown forces, and becomes drawn into the Senator's shadowy world. To save his family and solve the mystery of the doll, he must join forces with Anna, who has her own dark secrets. As the past and present collide, Ranjit must finally confront the hidden event that destroyed his Army career and forced him to leave India. Tightly plotted, action-packed, smart and surprisingly moving, The Caretaker takes us from the desperate world of migrant workers to the elite African-American community of Martha's Vineyard, and a secret high-altitude war between India and Pakistan."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,623,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible