Baby! Baby? Baby?: A Young Woman's View of…

Baby! Baby? Baby?: A Young Woman's View of Impending Motherhood (edition 2012)

by Holly Kerr

Collections:Read, Your library

Baby! Baby? Baby?: A Young Woman's View of Impending Motherhood by Holly Kerr

Recently added byJerseyGirlBookReview

No tags.

Thirty-five year old Kindergarten teacher Casey Samms' biological clock is ticking ... for years she has dreamed about having a baby ... but the problem is finding the right man to be the father. She is romantically challenged, but that little problem isn't going to stop her, she is determined to do whatever it takes to have a baby of her own!

Baby! Baby? Baby!? is a humorous story about one woman's journey of desperately getting what she's yearned for a long time ... a baby. In her debut novel, author Holly Kerr weaves a fun tale written in the first person narrative, told by sassy Casey Samms, who is a tad bit quirky, confused, desperate and obsessed ... awww hell who am I kidding, she's a hot mess! Casey takes the reader along for the ride as she embarks on a journey to make her dream of having a baby come true, albeit with a few mishaps, twists and turns, and unexpected surprises along the way.

Romantically challenged, forever the bridesmaid, and faithfully following the chapters in the 1941 book, A Young Woman's Guide to the Joy of Impending Motherhood by Dr. Francine Pascal Reid, what's a girl to do when she's in her mid-thirties and doesn't have the right man in her life to be the baby daddy? Why of course to do whatever it takes!

There is so many laugh-out-loud moments throughout the story, I couldn't help but feel for Casey and cheer her on even when she pulls some crazy antics. This sassy lady reminded me of myself when I was in my late thirties and found my biological clock ticking ... sigh ... There was so much that I could relate to in this story: from desire, anxiety, obsession, sorrow and acceptance. I suffered a miscarriage in my first marriage and desperately tried to get pregnant in my current marriage, but alas we weren't blessed to have children, unless you count my three four legged babies. I think at some point in a woman's life from her mid/late twenties to early forties, the biological clock ticking and the desire to have babies is a natural part of our makeup, and any woman can relate to and sympathize with how Casey felt in the story. Like the old saying goes ... life works in mysterious ways!

I really enjoyed the author's style of allowing Casey's sassy voice tell a humorous and endearing story. It felt like I was sitting in a chair next to Casey as her story unfolded. I loved how each chapter began with a quote from the 1941 book, A Young Woman's Guide to the Joy of Impending Motherhood by Dr. Francine Pascal Reid. The antiquated quotes made me chuckle, I'm thinking Casey needed a revised edition of the book with more modern suggestions on pregnancy and motherhood to follow. lol

With a quirky cast of characters; engaging dialogue and zany interactions; and a lighthearted storyline that has a mixture of humor and real-to-life issues; Baby! Baby? Baby!? is a fun story of life, love, friendship, and following one's dreams that will captivate you and leave you with a smile.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/01/baby-baby-baby-by-holly-kerr-a... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Jan 28, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,355,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible