Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Very Easy Guide to Fair Isle Knitting:…

by Lynne Watterson

201743,574 (4)None
Member:RobinBrz
Title:The Very Easy Guide to Fair Isle Knitting: Step-by-Step Techniques, Easy-to-Follow Stitch Patterns, and Projects to Get You Started
Authors:Lynne Watterson
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Your library, Crochet / Craft Collections, Recently Read

The Very Easy Guide to Fair Isle Knitting: Step-by-Step Techniques, Easy-to-Follow Stitch Patterns, and Projects to Get You Started by Lynne Watterson

This is a great book for those who are looking to get into knitting, which I myself have been.

"Knitting Fair Isle isn't as difficult as it looks and with this book I will guide you through the techniques so that you can enjoy knitting beautiful Fair Isle patterns as much as I do."
p.8, The Very Easy Guide to Fair Isle Knitting

I didn't even know what Fair Isle Knitting was until now and what it is is a traditional knitting technique that is used to create patterns with multiple colors. "Fair Isle" is actually a small island in the north of Scotland. You learn something new everyday!

This pattern book guides the crafter through the process of Fair Isle Knitting from start to finish. Twenty-eight lessons are included with step by step instructions to help the knitter master this technique. There are clear diagrams and photographs for reference. Patterns are included as well to put the techniques to good use.

Designer Lynne Watterson discusses different yarns types, how to read the labels, choosing colors, basic knitting stitches and gauge among other things that you will need to know while knitting.
"Shetland Wool is spun from the fleece of the native Shetland breed of sheep and is perfect for Fair Isle knitting. The fleece is soft and well crimped-the natural crimp helps the floats say in place."
p.10, The Very Easy Guide to Fair Isle Knitting

A Stitch Guide is included, with photos of all the swatches and the page you can find the patterns on for easy reference. There's also a lesson called Aftercare Essentials where Lynne Watterson discusses how to best care for you finished knitted items so that they will last for years.

I always say this, but I love the look of knitted items. Knitting does have that unique style about it. The patterns in this book all look great and I like the variety. Some of the patterns included are Child's Cardigan, Fingerless Mitts, Hot Water Bottle Cover, Leg Warmers and Hat and Scarf Set among others.

I like that designer Lynne Watterson guides the knitter step by step. Since I myself am new to knitting, this type of instructional pattern books is perfect for someone like me.

I found The Very Easy Guide to Fair Isle Knitting: Step-by-Step Techniques, Easy-to-Follow Stitch Patterns, and Projects to Get You Started to be a nice instructional knitting pattern book with well written instructions, clear photos and great project ideas. Very nice knitting guide for beginners!

Disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and designers, such as this one, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I received my free copy of this pattern book courtesy of St. Martin's Press for possible review. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Feb 23, 2013 |

"Mastering Fair Isle knitting has never been easier! Fair Isle knitting may look complicated, but knitting expert Lynne Watterson lays out the basics in a way that is easy to follow and understand. She starts with an overview that covers everything from the best types of yarn suitable for Fair Isle patterns to beginner knitting techniques. Also included is a primer on how to read Fair Isle charts, plus an illustrated step-by-step guide to Fair Isle knitting showing complete beginners how to hold the yarns, strand across the back of knitting, link colors in, and how to weave in ends. The main chapters feature a selection of beautiful Fair Isle stitch patterns. Each pattern contains clear instructions in both written and chart form, and these are cross-referenced to a comprehensive guide to abbreviations. A variety of simple, stylish projects included in each chapter demonstrates ways to use the beautifully shaded Fair Isle patterns--from chic accessories and the latest fashion looks to colorful cushion covers and cozy blankets. Bonus material offers a variety of stunning finishing touches that can be used to enhance your knitting--including beads, buttons, tassels, cords, fringe, and more"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,430,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible