You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in…

You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Deborah Tannen

Member:an_eternalstudent
Title:You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation
Authors:Deborah Tannen
Info:Ballantine Books (1991), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:sociology, human relationships, language

You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation by Deborah Tannen (1990)

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
This book explains the language and customs of the opposite gender. Anyone who wants to understand what that stranger on the opposite end of the bed is saying certainly should consult this book.
  CenterPointMN | Jun 13, 2018 |
  CenterPointMN | Jun 13, 2018 |
A good basic communication book, focusing on different communication styles, and structures. I don't think it applies to *all* men, or *all* women, but it's a good base to consider, and for that it's an excellent book. ( )
  Pepperwings | Aug 24, 2017 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
Read during Fall 2001

My original copy went missing years ago, I bought a new copy and it is just as good now as it was then.
  amyem58 | Jul 11, 2014 |
To my father and mother source and sustenance
Many years ago I was married to a man who shouted at me, "I do not give you the right to raise your voice to me, because you are a woman and I am a man."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345372050, Paperback)

LOS ANGELES TIMES

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

"A chatty, earnest and endearing book that promises here-and-now rewards for taking the trouble to listen more carefully to what others are saying--and to be more sensitive to what others are hearing." LOS ANGELES TIMES Discover how men and women can interpret the same conversation differently, even when there is no apparent misunderstanding. Discover why sinscere attempts to communicate are so often confounded, and how we can prevent or relieve some of the frustration. This fascinating, helpful, and controversial book--on the NEW YORK TIMES Bestseller list for two years!--explores, in depth the differing style men and women articulate, and how to work through it and get to the heart of the matter. Includes information on African Americans, arguing, authority, body language, children?s interaction, conversational styles (Antiguan, Greek, Italian, Jewish, Malgasy, New England, New York Jewish, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Tenejapa, Thai), cross cultural communication, fighting, framing, friendship, gossip, Greece, indirectness, interruption, stereotypes of Jews, jokes, metamessages, professors, public speaking, rapport talk, report talk, secrets, silence, storytelling, etc.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,766,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible