You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in…

You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation (original 1990; edition 2007)

by Deborah Tannen (Author)

In yet another groundbreaking work, Deborah Tannen will use her enormous communication and linguistic talents to demonstrate how modern society has embraced a "culture of argument". Tannen tells how the media, educators, and politicians give credence to many harmful and false ideas just in the effort to present both sides of every story. Tannen argues that there aren't two sides to every story, and that indeed some things are historical fact. To give certain ideas even a chance to be heard and presented as believable points of view serves no one and harms everyone (such as those people who argue that the Holocaust never happened). If we keep this culture in vogue, she says that the idea of truth will no longer be considered an absolute.Accessible, hard-hitting and surely controversial, "The Argument Culture" will return Deborah Tannen to the top of the bestseller list.… (more)
Member:NathanielStoll
Title:You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation
Authors:Deborah Tannen (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2007), Edition: 1, 342 pages
Tags:to-read

You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation by Deborah Tannen (1990)

English (22)  Dutch (2)  All languages (24)
It's terribly sad that all these troubles can be caused by little, cumulative, misunderstandings. ( )
  cwcoxjr | Sep 5, 2019 |
Required for class
  katslibrary | Jun 20, 2019 |
This book explains the language and customs of the opposite gender. Anyone who wants to understand what that stranger on the opposite end of the bed is saying certainly should consult this book.
  CenterPointMN | Jun 13, 2018 |
  CenterPointMN | Jun 13, 2018 |
A good basic communication book, focusing on different communication styles, and structures. I don't think it applies to *all* men, or *all* women, but it's a good base to consider, and for that it's an excellent book. ( )
  Pepperwings | Aug 24, 2017 |

Tannen, Deborahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schermer-Lodema, TrudyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father and mother source and sustenance
Many years ago I was married to a man who shouted at me, "I do not give you the right to raise your voice to me, because you are a woman and I am a man."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible