Choosing to Read: Connecting Middle…

Choosing to Read: Connecting Middle Schoolers to Books (edition 2012)

by Joan Schroeder Kindig

411,664,912 (5)None
Member:lillged
Title:Choosing to Read: Connecting Middle Schoolers to Books
Authors:Joan Schroeder Kindig
Info:Heinemann (2012), Paperback, 152 pages
Collections:Children's Lit, Education, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:middle school, secondary, reading instruction, author study

Choosing to Read: Connecting Middle Schoolers to Books by Joan Schroeder Kindig

Kindig offers middle-level teachers two gifts: 1) a quick argument and reminder about the kinds of reading and reading instruction that make a difference for the readers in our classes, especially if we care about encouraging reading beyond checklists on homework notebooks; 2) essays from popular authors, illustrators, and editors about their own writing and reading processes. I can't wait to share this resources with veteran and beginning teachers alike, and I look forward to returning to it again myself. ( )
  lillged | Jan 27, 2013 |

"They aren't going to read A Tale of Two Cities no matter how many times we assign it. Put Dickens away for a bit and try some books that will turn your students into real readers."

-Joan Schroeder Kindig

What do we ultimately want from our students as readers? More than just becoming readers, we want them to want to read.

Drawing on her personal experiences as a professor of reading education and a children's literature specialist, Joan Schroeder Kindig shares the secrets of how to turn your reading program into one that allows for student choice, entices children with books that are relevant to their lives, and turns kids into real readers. This conversational text has everything you need to jump-start kids reading by harnessing their social life and providing meaningful texts, including:

dynamite book lists, organized by topic, that will spark all readers interests

15 easy steps on how to become a children's literature expert along with guiding principles for identifying books kids will read

quick and easy assessments, including the running record and five-finger rule, to identify each student's independent, instructional, and frustration reading levels.

PLUS! Essays on student choice and relevance from eight of the hottest young adult authors.

Reading is a choice. Motivate your students to read by connecting them to books they can relate to.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:50 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,113,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible