How We Are Hungry by Dave Eggers

How We Are Hungry (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Dave Eggers

Member:UPFLUNG
Title:How We Are Hungry
Authors:Dave Eggers
Info:Vintage (2005), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:fiction

How We Are Hungry by Dave Eggers (2004)

to get (199)

I savored this book like a rich dessert. I preferred reading it when I had ample quiet time to not only lose myself in the story, but to absorb the nuances of Eggers' writing technique. I loved the way he played with words and showed all the ways his very real characters hungered for love, achievement, freedom, meaning beyond the everyday. My favorites were "What It Means When a Crowd..." and "Up the Mountain Coming Down Slowly" because these felt the most relevant to the here and now. ( )
  danielle_burnette | Oct 31, 2015 |
My favorite piece in this collection is a utopian story called "Your Mother and I," which I first encountered at a big group reading Eggers participated in at El Rio a few years ago. ( )
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
I wish more of my favorite authors would release collections of their short fiction. I really enjoyed this collection. It's not perfect--there are a couple of stories here that didn't hold my interest--but there are others that are just wonderful. It's not a perfect book, but I'm feeling generous with my star rating. It's not all that inflated.

Eggers isn't for everyone--but he's for me, and that's all I need. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
  The_Bookchemist | Feb 11, 2013 |
Listened to the audio book - three stars for the stories, plus a bonus star for the narrator. ( )
  catalogthis | Dec 29, 2012 |
This book is for Chris.
I'd gone to Egypt, as a courier, easy. (Another)

How We Are Hungry is a gripping, lyrical and soulful collection of stories from the acclaimed author of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. Ranging from a doomed Irish setter’s tales of running and jumping (“After I Was Thrown in the River and Before I Drowned”) to a bitterly comic meditation on suicide and friendship (“Climbing to the Window, Pretending to Dance”), and from the Egyptian desert to the asphalt of Interstate 5, these stories are Eggers at his finest. By turns devastating, clear-eyed and funn – incredibly funny – this collection is a marvel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:35 -0400)

A debut collection of short stories presents a compelling cast of characters who struggle with inconvenient revelations, from the deserts of Egypt to the side of Interstate 5.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141020040, 014139935X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,080,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible