Earthbound by Aprilynne Pike

Earthbound

by Aprilynne Pike

1982188,654 (3.33)1

Much of this book called to mind Kat Kennedy’s review of Evermore—which is never a good thing.

This book first came to my attention when I entered a goodreads giveaway for it over a year ago. (I didn’t win). Since then, this book has been sitting on my tbr shelf. I checked it out (along with, say, fifty other books) from the library last week. This one migrated to the top of my list due to it’s non-renewable status.

I had no idea what it was about until I read the flap on the cover of the book, and I was intrigued. Unlike every other person in the universe, the idea of a love triangle doesn’t immediately send me running. They can be done well.

But this one… not so much. Now, the one leg of the triangle, Benson, I LOVED. I just think Benson is a really cool character and I’d like to see him and Tavia together in the next book, because, damning secret identites aside, I do think that he is ON HER SIDE and that they are better together than apart.

But I understand Tavia’s reluctance. I mean, since the beginning of this book, it’s been nothing but ripping betrayal followed by horrible lies and secrets and, lets admit it, that secret identity of his is pretty damning.

But Quinn/Logan? My predisposition to liking boys named logan aside, I haven’t even met Logan yet. And I barely know Quinn, because we only saw him, what, five times, and I still don’t entirely understand what he was trying to do. I mean, I get logically, but why?

Also, I know I’ve said this before, BUT SO MUCH OF THIS BOOK COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED BY SIMPLY COMMUNICATING!!!!!!!!!!

I love YA books, but if there’s one thing I hate about them, its that they always insinuate that teens simply DO NOT COMMUNICATE. Which I am willing to agree is exetremely immature and NOT ALL TEENS ARE LIKE that. Now, I’m not going to claim that I’m great at communicating, because I’m not. But I try. I try to communicate with those around me when something is going wrong.

I’m waiting for my library to get book 2 so I can hopefully read it quickly, because although I want to know what happens I don’t think I have it in me to reread this one.

Also, here’s hoping it just a duology, cuz if there’s a third one, I still don’t think I’ll have it in me to reread this one.
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
This story had so much potential. However, while reading it I had a "gut" feeling, so I peeked ahead to the 3rd book. I would have been very upset had I spent the time getting more involved with the characters than I already had. ( )
  candace.neal | Mar 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Original Review: http://thepassionatebookworm.blogspot.com/

Aprilynne Pike has crafted a story so unique and mysterious that you wonder where the spiral is going to lead. Twists and turns around every corner made it a can't-stop-even-for-bedtime read. By the end of the story I was completely invested in Tavia's journey and loved her character. BUT, I did not find the world building in this book as strong as the world she created in Wings. This could be due to the fact that Tavia doesn't really know who or what she is for most of the story. Now, let's talk romance!

Love Triangles, Love Triangles, Love Triangles!!!!
This love triangle isn't your typical Bella-Edward-Jacob, it isn't just about who looks better without a shirt, it deals with the fate of the world. I don't want to give away any good details but I was definitely rooting for the librarian, though he is not exactly what he seems to be. I should have known. A cute male librarian seems too good to be true... or is it?

This book combines all of the elements to make a dang good story. It is a page turner that doesn't leave many questions unanswered at the end, thank you Aprilynne Pike. That being said, every good answer leaves a trail to new questions. The first book was very good but it sets up to have a strong second book of the series. ( )
  BrittanyElsen | Sep 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to enjoy this book more than I did. To be honest, I'm late in writing this review and I can't actually remember the book. I had to google it to figure out what I should say. Life changes got in the way of me reviewing and that's my bad. I do write a little blurb in my journal upon every book I finish. I wrote: "Slow going and confusing but it did get better." So there you go. ( )
  tipsister | Jun 11, 2014 |
While this was a fun read, it wasn't entirely captivating. It took me a while to get through. ( )
  angee1011 | May 6, 2014 |

Eighteen-year-old Tavia is the only survivor of a plane crash that killed her parents. Grieving and lonely, she starts having strange visions; of a boy she's never met but feels compulsively drawn to. A boy who tells her to do things she never dreamed of. Tavia begins to suspect that secrets are being kept from her, and that her kindly aunt and uncle know more than they are letting on. Was the plane crash really an accident? Or is Tavia part of something bigger than she ever imagined?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Aprilynne Pike's book Earthbound was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,862,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible