SYLO (The SYLO Chronicles) by D. J. MacHale

SYLO (The SYLO Chronicles)

by D. J. MacHale

2332049,595 (3.3)5

One more for Ya class. Too unrealistic, too repetitive, too long. Just too everyrhing. Meh. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
SYLO is a great book, especially for boys. It’s got action, explosions, and confusing feelings about girls. It was definitely refreshing for me to read. I was even telling my hubby about it, and he said, “Wow, that seems like a movie or something we would watch.” I was like yep, and it would translate well into a tv series.

The characters were great. Tucker likes being average. Everything he does in this book he tries to think of how it affects others. He just wants a chance to live his life, and he doesn’t think that will happen with the invasion of SYLO. Quinn is awesome! He’s the kind of best friend everyone wants. He’s witty, and not afraid to push the limits. He also has some pretty deep thoughts when it comes to life. This guy was made for greatness. Tori is a rough around the edges girl. She can take care of herself, and doesn’t necessarily need the help of Tucker or Quinn. Some other characters are Olivia and Kent. I didn’t care for them at the beginning of the book, and by the end, I still didn’t really care for them.

There is complete mystery involved in every aspect of this book. We don’t really know what’s going on, and nobody is who they seem to be. Where did the Ruby come from? Why is SYLO keeping the island contained? They aren’t telling the residents a lot, and still, as the reader, you don’t really know what’s going on either. You think one thing, and an event happens that makes you change your thoughts. The same goes for the people, who can you trust? The people you thought were okay, seem less trustworthy.

Anyway, the book was great. The ending took me completely by surprise! I wasn’t expecting THAT at all!!! I do know that I can’t wait to read the next installment, Storm. Too bad I have to wait until MARCH!!!! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I love the characters, if you enjoy adventure, suspense and mystery than this is a book for you. :) ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Jan 24, 2016 |
The ultimate action-fueled end-of-the-world conspiracy trilogy from #1 New York Times bestselling author D.J. MacHale

THEY CAME FROM THE SKY
parachuting out of military helicopters to invade Tucker Pierce’s idyllic hometown on Pemberwick Island, Maine.

They call themselves SYLO and they are a secret branch of the U.S. Navy. SYLO’s commander, Captain Granger, informs Pemberwick residents that the island has been hit by a lethal virus and must be quarantined. Now Pemberwick is cut off from the outside world.

Tucker believes there’s more to SYLO’s story. He was on the sidelines when the high school running back dropped dead with no warning. He saw the bizarre midnight explosion over the ocean, and the mysterious singing aircraft that travel like shadows through the night sky. He tasted the Ruby—and experienced the powers it gave him—for himself.

What all this means, SYLO isn’t saying. Only Tucker holds the clues that can solve this deadly mystery.

LOOK TO THE SKY
because Pemberwick is only the first stop.
  lkmuir | Nov 30, 2015 |
I have a very very amazing history with DJ MacHale that he isn't aware of. When I was younger and everyone was getting Harry Potter for Christmas, I got a boxed set of his Pendragon series, books 1 2 3. I instantly started book 1 and fell in love with them. By then 4 books were released so I read the first 4, and every year after that I got the newest Pendragon book for Valentine's Day from my mom. That was my childhood and as far as I'm concerned, I grew up with Bobby Pendragon instead of Harry Potter (even though I did read those at the same time).
So fast forward a long time and I see he's written 2 other series and I decide finally to start one of them. Sylo was nothing like I expected it to be, but I liked it anyways.
This book was full of twists and a lot of events that kept you engaged in the story. I wanted to know what Sylo was, what the ruby was, who brought the ruby, who all the characters were and what they were involved with, and also his parents and Quinn's parents. I'm still left wanting more at the end of the book, which is a good sign since it makes me want to read the rest. I want to know what is going on and honestly I don't really think that Quinn is dead.
One aspect of MacHale's writing I love is that he writes teenagers so well. I've seen some reviews saying that they sound like adults talking through teenagers but I don't agree. He writes teenage emotions and reactions to things exactly how I imagine a real teenager going through them. When Quinn dies I found Tucker's reaction to be spot on. The same with Kent later in the book having a breakdown over everything, it seems really fitting. I also love that the girls are the tougher ones in many of the situations. He doesn't use typical gender roles for this book.
The action, plot, characters and even the pacing in this book are spot on. I adored this book and I can't wait to start the audiobook for the second book. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
It was the perfect night for a football game.

"They came from the sky parachuting out of military helicopters to invade Tucker Pierce's idyllic hometown on Pemberwick Island, Maine. They call themselves SYLO and they are a secret branch of the U.S. Navy. SYLO's commander, Captain Granger, informs Pemberwick residents that the island has been hit by a lethal virus and must be quarantined. Now Pemberwick is cut off from the outside world. Tucker believes there's more to SYLO's story. He was on the sidelines when the high school running back dropped dead with no warning. He saw the bizarre midnight explosion over the ocean, and the mysterious singing aircraft that travel like shadows through the night sky. He tasted the Ruby--and experienced the powers it gave him--for himself. What all this means, SYLO isn't saying. Only Tucker holds the clues that can solve this deadly mystery. Look to the sky because Pemberwick Island is only the first stop."--Dust jacket.… (more)

11 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

SYLO by D. J. MacHale was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,835,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible