The Eye of Minds by James Dashner

The Eye of Minds

by James Dashner

Intrigued to read this after thoroughly enjoying Maze Runner series. It reminded me of Avatar the movie, in that people lie in Coffins (boxes with nerve stimulators) and enter a world called the VirtNet where you can play games like they are real life. Book opens really well with Michael inside VirtNet, trying to convince a girl not to jump off a bridge and end her life ...The girl tells him something that starts him on a path he has no choice but to follow. In real life, he is taken by a van of men from the government, who tell him that they need him and his Game Friends hacking skills to try and stop something that has been happening to people inside the VirtNet. Their brains have been "hacked" into and thus they are comatose in real life. Michael and his mates must try and infiltrate the underlying structure of the VirtNet by playing an "old peoples" shoot-em-up violent game called "Devils of Destruction". I think boys will love this, especially those with some computer knowledge. ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 1, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this book. I'm not really into video/computer games and considering this book was about just that i'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. It's about a virtual game/games called the virtnet, people can experience the game as if its real life, so if you get punched in the game you can feal it as though it was happening in real life. there's this thing called the nerve box and depending on how real you want the experience to be is depending on how much you pay for them. The characters who use the nerveboxes call them the coffins. The nervebox attaches wires into your body so you can feel everything that is happening in the game. The characters in this book are all teenagers and are called Micheal, Sarah and Bryson, they are friends only in the virtnet and not in real life. This trio is recruited to go on a mission within the game to stop someone called Kaine from doing some real bad things within the game that will effect real life. I love the bond between the friends because even though they have not met in real life they are willing to help each other out no matter what. The ending was the best part for me and left me wanting more, Its my favourite part because it made me want to really read the second book, cant wait for it to be released!! It was a shock to read that last chapter as I didn't expect that ending and I had loads of ideas on how it would end and none of my ideas came close to how it ended! loved it! I would recommend this book to anyone wanting abit of an adventure, it doesn't matter what kind of books your into I think most people would enjoy this book, so if you got the chance to read it defiantly pick a copy up :D
  kellymariet6 | Mar 1, 2014 |
An interesting concept of a future civilization where most of our lives are spent living in virtual reality... takes gaming to a whole new level. Three friends are hired on by a government agency to discover who is behind a series of mysterious deaths taking place within a virtual computer game but transferring over into reality for the actual players. This is a great suspense novel with surprising twists. A recommended read for fans of dystopian and science fiction. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Feb 21, 2014 |
Honestly I thought I was going to rip this book apart but nope it was pretty cool.

The Eye of Minds follows Michael a true gamer at heart. He lives in a world where gaming simulators are so realistic they can transport your mind into a virtual world (known in the book as the VirtNet) and basically simulate a SIMS life but you actually get to feel it and play some other cool games too. This Michael kid has the best simulator his parents could buy and hops in any chance he gets, in fact he has never even met his best friends in real life because they're always on the VirtNet.

His online world is suddenly threatened by the presence of a evil genius known as Kaine who threatens to kill minds inside the game so that their physical body will remain in a vegetative state with no mind controlling it. The online version of the CIA recruits Michael and his friends Bryson and Sarah to help them capture Kaine and put an end to his plan. But along the way, there are a few things that Michael discovers about the VirtNet and Kaine that would change his life (online and offline) forever.

I LUV James Dashner, I really enjoyed The Maze Runner series so if you haven't read those books run and go get them now and read them all even the prequel....ANYWAYS, so I liked this book.

The gaming world is near and dear to me because I have brothers who spend a good chunk of their days glued to the screen watching/playing/interacting with the darned games kids play these days. Although I'm not into the computer I do love me some Wii and Xbox time. For me, the world that Dashner created reminded me a lot of the world in that third Spy Kids movie with the Toy Maker and Carmen being lost...Oh god I feel old. If you don't know that movie, basically it's a world where kid's minds are placed into the game but the simulation is real to them. In the movie the Toy Maker threatened to imprison the minds of those kids in the game but in the novel Kaine threatened to kill the minds of the players in the game and with some tinkering that could lead to the brain death of a person in real life.

The book had an interesting start with Michael having his first encounter with a Kaine victim who threatens suicide just to escape his mind games but I felt something was missing in the middle when Michael and his friends start their adventure. It was like they gave in too easily to taking on the task of bringing Kaine down. Not a single question was asked like "why were you approached Micheal? and not one of us?" or "are you even sure it was an agent for the VirtNet security? What if it was Kaine who was secretly recruiting you because he want you to find him on purpose?". But worry not the adventure takes them to places only a handful of gamers had ever been before.

I personally liked Sarah the best, Michael wasn't really that relateable a character for me but once I reached the end it all clicked for me and now I have a new light for him...if that makes any sense which doesn't until you read the book *hint hint* there is plenty of action and for the soft at heart there are also hints of romance but not too much to distract from the bigger picture. And the final twist at the end....I'm still mad at myself for not figuring it out long before my two seconds before it was revealed.

It's a compelling start to a new series, Dashner didn't disappoint in this one and I'm strongly hoping he's learned from his finale to The Maze Runner series and doesn't make the same mistake with The Death Cure. ( )
  Jessika.C | Feb 19, 2014 |
Riveting read about good guys and bad guys in a futuristic virtual reality. Probably appeal more to boys than girls. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 10, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804122466, Audio CD)

An all-new, edge-of-your seat adventure from James Dashner, the author of the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series, The Eye of Minds is the first book in The Mortality Doctrine, a series set in a world of hyperadvanced technology, cyberterrorists, and gaming beyond your wildest dreams . . . and your worst nightmares.

Michael is a gamer. And like most gamers, he almost spends more time on the VirtNet than in the actual world. The VirtNet offers total mind and body immersion, and it’s addictive. Thanks to technology, anyone with enough money can experience fantasy worlds, risk their life without the chance of death, or just hang around with Virt-friends. And the more hacking skills you have, the more fun. Why bother following the rules when most of them are dumb, anyway?
But some rules were made for a reason. Some technology is too dangerous to fool with. And recent reports claim that one gamer is going beyond what any gamer has done before: he’s holding players hostage inside the VirtNet. The effects are horrific—the hostages have all been declared brain-dead. Yet the gamer’s motives are a mystery.
The government knows that to catch a hacker, you need a hacker.
And they’ve been watching Michael. They want him on their team.
But the risk is enormous. If he accepts their challenge, Michael will need to go off the VirtNet grid. There are back alleys and corners in the system human eyes have never seen and predators he can’t even fathom—and there’s the possibility that the line between game and reality will be blurred forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:31 -0400)

"Michael is a skilled internet gamer in a world of advanced technology. When a cyber-terrorist begins to threaten players, Michael is called upon to seek him and his secrets out"--

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,696,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible