The Eye of Minds by James Dashner

The Eye of Minds

by James Dashner

The characters are in the Vert Net. The Vert Net is not reality but a game the only way to kill yourself is by hacking to your core,and you don't just commit suicide in the game when you rip out your core, you do in real life.The reason why i liked the “Eye of the Minds”, it caught your attention right at the start. It caught your attention by the book jumping straight into action. . It jumped straight into action by the main character trying to save a girl’s life when she was trying to kill her self or committing suicide. One of the other reasons why I liked it was it was always in action and at the end of every chapter it has a cliffhanger, for example at the end of chapter 11 in the last paragraph it says, “In the late afternoon of the third day, Sarah found the Portal”.

The “Eye of the Minds” is about a group of teenagers named Sarah, Bryson and Michael.They go on a crazy adventure inside the Vert Net.They were trying to seek out Kaine. Kaine is a gamer just like them but he has been trapping people in the Vert Net to where they can’t get out. The VNS hired the Sarah, Bryson, Michael to seek out or find Kaine. On their adventure they found out about The Path to find where Kaine is. When they got onto the path it was hard they finally found the portal in three days in the game. When they got onto the path they were in a endless hallway. They finally decided to bust through the wall, when they did they found just darkness and a stairwell. when they got to the bottom of the stairwell they found a door.when they opened the door there was a pale man and a pale woman staring at them against the wall not just one but thousands.Every time they made any noise the pale people would twitch. When they got closer to the door Bryson whispered in Michals ear “What if Kaine isnt a person?”. It came out louder than expected and all the pale people came after Bryson killing him. Sarah and Michael ran through the door and slammed it behind them and Bryson was screaming in pain as he died. Their surroundings was now a forest with a strange man. THe man lead them to his house and let them eat , but what was strange was the talking animals that prepared their dinner and cooked it. THe strange man woke them up and said the demons are coming so he lead them to the living room. and the strange man said I will go get my friends. He went and got the animals and gathered them all together and he said “Demons arise”. THe animals flesh went inside out and started attacking them. They went to the steeple and found a weak spot and found a portal. When they went through the portal they were in a black round tunnel. They started walking down the tunnel and starting to see magma and molten rock. Sarah died by the volcano shooting lava at her. Michal then found a portal and went through. On the other side was a white room with a man but not a man a silver robot. The robot said that this was the point of no return. hands started to come out of the ceiling grabbing ichal and ripping out his core. Then the robot said if you die now its for real. Then the room turned dark and two signs above doors one saying EXIT THE PATH and the other saying HALLOWED RAVINE. Michael then went through the door named hallowed ravine. Hallowed ravine is where Kaine is. After MIchael dies he wakes up in a place that is not his own. A person tells him that you were not human but now you are you were just part of the game playing with real people. ( )
  JJS.B3 | Oct 6, 2014 |
The Eye of Minds is book one in James Dashner's new series.

Michael is the main character who has two best friends whom he has never met in person: Sarah and Bryson. They met and know each other from the VirtNet. They put themselves in what is called a "coffin," hooked up to feeds that make the body feel like you are physically experiencing what you are going through in your mind in the VirtNet. The VirtNet is a computer game where you can do all sorts of things--hang out at a cafe, play various games, etc. Michael is obsessed with getting to Lifeblood Deep, the highest level of the VirtNet but only the best gamers can get there. When Michael has to save a girl from suicide, he discovers that she is truly committing suicide and not just as her "gaming" self. She tells him about Kaine, a guy trying to take over the VirtNet and he is an evil guy.

People from the VNS (VirtNet Security) recruit Michael to work for them and capture Kaine. He's allowed to get Sarah and Bryson to help him. The three must work together to discover where Kaine is hiding in the VirtNet and try to "kill" him. As they go deeper and deeper in, they learn about the secrets of Kain, the VirtNet itself, and the VNS.

If you like The Matrix movie or the book Ready Player One, you will like this. I greatly enjoyed The Maze Runner, but I have to admit this novel was painful for me. I do not like science fiction unless it's a really good story that pulls me in. I hate novels/movies about living inside a computer that is hooked up to your mind. it's so stupid to me. I cannot suspend disbelief and think that lying still and living in your mind is better than living in real life. Why doesn't Michael go meet Sarah and Bryson? It seems silly to only meet in a computer game when they live in the same town. The twist at the end didn't surprise me nor did I particularly care. This novel is not for everyone by any means. ( )
  acargile | Sep 28, 2014 |
3.5 stars.

This was interesting, and the ending was surprising to me. But I felt the writing tended to skew younger than the intended audience, although the subject would probably be beyond younger readers comprehension. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Intrigued to read this after thoroughly enjoying Maze Runner series. It reminded me of Avatar the movie, in that people lie in Coffins (boxes with nerve stimulators) and enter a world called the VirtNet where you can play games like they are real life. Book opens really well with Michael inside VirtNet, trying to convince a girl not to jump off a bridge and end her life ...The girl tells him something that starts him on a path he has no choice but to follow. In real life, he is taken by a van of men from the government, who tell him that they need him and his Game Friends hacking skills to try and stop something that has been happening to people inside the VirtNet. Their brains have been "hacked" into and thus they are comatose in real life. Michael and his mates must try and infiltrate the underlying structure of the VirtNet by playing an "old peoples" shoot-em-up violent game called "Devils of Destruction". I think boys will love this, especially those with some computer knowledge. ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 1, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this book. I'm not really into video/computer games and considering this book was about just that i'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. It's about a virtual game/games called the virtnet, people can experience the game as if its real life, so if you get punched in the game you can feal it as though it was happening in real life. there's this thing called the nerve box and depending on how real you want the experience to be is depending on how much you pay for them. The characters who use the nerveboxes call them the coffins. The nervebox attaches wires into your body so you can feel everything that is happening in the game. The characters in this book are all teenagers and are called Micheal, Sarah and Bryson, they are friends only in the virtnet and not in real life. This trio is recruited to go on a mission within the game to stop someone called Kaine from doing some real bad things within the game that will effect real life. I love the bond between the friends because even though they have not met in real life they are willing to help each other out no matter what. The ending was the best part for me and left me wanting more, Its my favourite part because it made me want to really read the second book, cant wait for it to be released!! It was a shock to read that last chapter as I didn't expect that ending and I had loads of ideas on how it would end and none of my ideas came close to how it ended! loved it! I would recommend this book to anyone wanting abit of an adventure, it doesn't matter what kind of books your into I think most people would enjoy this book, so if you got the chance to read it defiantly pick a copy up :D
  kellymariet6 | Mar 1, 2014 |
Michael spoke against the wind, to a girl named Tanya. "I know it's water down there, but it might as well be concrete. You'll be as flat as a pancake the second you hit."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804122466, Audio CD)

An all-new, edge-of-your seat adventure from James Dashner, the author of the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series, The Eye of Minds is the first book in The Mortality Doctrine, a series set in a world of hyperadvanced technology, cyberterrorists, and gaming beyond your wildest dreams . . . and your worst nightmares.

Michael is a gamer. And like most gamers, he almost spends more time on the VirtNet than in the actual world. The VirtNet offers total mind and body immersion, and it’s addictive. Thanks to technology, anyone with enough money can experience fantasy worlds, risk their life without the chance of death, or just hang around with Virt-friends. And the more hacking skills you have, the more fun. Why bother following the rules when most of them are dumb, anyway?
But some rules were made for a reason. Some technology is too dangerous to fool with. And recent reports claim that one gamer is going beyond what any gamer has done before: he’s holding players hostage inside the VirtNet. The effects are horrific—the hostages have all been declared brain-dead. Yet the gamer’s motives are a mystery.
The government knows that to catch a hacker, you need a hacker.
And they’ve been watching Michael. They want him on their team.
But the risk is enormous. If he accepts their challenge, Michael will need to go off the VirtNet grid. There are back alleys and corners in the system human eyes have never seen and predators he can’t even fathom—and there’s the possibility that the line between game and reality will be blurred forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:31 -0400)

"Michael is a skilled internet gamer in a world of advanced technology. When a cyber-terrorist begins to threaten players, Michael is called upon to seek him and his secrets out"--

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,379,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible