The Eye of Minds by James Dashner

The Eye of Minds (2013)

by James Dashner

English (25)  Spanish (1)  All languages (26)
The Eye of Minds is a book about some gamer teens that spend almost all of their time on the VirtNet (a really realistic gaming console). The main character in the story is named Michael. Michael and his friends are recruited by the VHS (VirtNet security) to stop a gamer named Kaine from trapping people in the game and killing them. Michael and his friends (Sarah and Bryson) are the perfect ones for the job because of their great hacking skills. Michael's friends are killed on their journey to fine Kaine (not in real life, but in the game) by the crazy things that haunt the game- Bryson was killed by people that move when you make any sudden noises (he spoke too loudly and they mobbed him) while Sarah was killed by lava shooting from a path in a volcano they passed through after Bryson was already dead. When Michael dies after he had almost completed his mission, he wakes up in someone else's body. He finds out that he is a Tangent- a form of artificial intelligence in the game, and that he got placed in this body because Kaine had killed a real person to put Tangents inside of their brain-dead bodies.

I thought this was an all-around great book. There was plenty of action to keep me entertained throughout the reading. Some of the action parts could get a bit...brutal but I thought it made things a little bit more interesting. Another great thing about this book is that there was TONS of suspense! Every time I had to set the book down I actually couldn't wait to get back to reading. I was never bored with the story- there was always something to keep me entertained. The book could get a little bit confusing at times but it eventually all came together. The book was well written (I thought) so that I felt like I was there with the characters. If you are into creative adventure/action books, then this is definitely the book for you! ( )
  jacobc.b1 | Oct 28, 2015 |
I picked this book up because of two things: the synopsis was very creative and unique, and James Dashner wrote it. I read the Maze Runner series, and I adored it very much, so, seeing that James Dashner wrote another series, I had high expectations that this series would be equally as fantastic. Much to my dismay, my expectations were not reached.

It was confusing, extremely confusing. The first chunk of the book, I was struggling with the terminology and the way everything worked. I was confused with what tangents were supposed to be, and all things technology. I was not enjoying the book, at all.

Another thing I disliked was all the descriptions. I know many people love it when authors describe things in great detail so that the reader can picture in their mind what things looks like, but for me, it didn't work as well. I know you must feel like I'm horrible for doing this, but I found myself constantly skimming the details and descriptions until I reached conversations or until something interesting caught my eye. After I started skimming through the boring parts, I found myself appreciating the complexity of it much more.

After I got over my initial boredom of this book, and started only reading the parts that interested me, (don't worry, I still read at least 80% of the book, so I know most of what I'm talking about :D )I started understanding the book, and enjoyed it a lot more. I liked the originality of this book, since I've never read anything like this before. Although it did take some getting used to.

Friends. Michael's friends, Bryson and Sarah, were great additions that made the book that much better. I liked that Michael wasn't hiding things from his friends, and they were mostly all on the same page.

I don't usually leave a series unfinished, but I don't think I'm in a rush to read the next book, although I will read it, eventually. Overall, not too bad, but I really wished it could have been better. ( )
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |
In this book the main character is Michel.Michel is a boy that spends most of his time in this place called the virt-net.The Virt-net is like this place that everything is realistic; you could have these things that make it so you actually feel stuff when your in there. In the virt-net there is this hacker called Kaine and he is making it so no one could leave.He was also making it so if you died in the virt-net you died in really life.Michel gets know by this agent organasation or something and is told to find Kaine and to stop him. So Michel has to best friends Bryson and Sarah. Michel took them with him cause they wanted to help. They had to go through all these puzzels and through all these people trying to stop them. when they where almost to the half way point Bryson was torn apart from these weird zombie creature thing that when you looked at them they didnt move but when you looked away then went after you. Right when they where almost there. Sarah was trying to make it across a lava pit which she got stuck on a stone and then the stone burnt out so she burnt to death. There Michel wanted to kill himself so he would just go back but then sarah made him promiss to finish this. Later on he reached a point where when he died it was all over he died in real life. Michel was almost there but then died when he got there. He wasnt expecting to wake up but he did and when he woke up he was somewhere else not at his home he walked around and then later on came to a mirror and he figured out this whole time he was a tagent. (or someone who wasnt a real person there he figured out he wasnt him and he took over someones life)

I thought this was a really good book. It had a great begging, Middle and end. I was intrested in the book the whole time and never got bored. I would definitly recomind someone to read this cause they would probley like it. It was one of those books that you want to read more about at the end. If i had to read it again i would and i wouldnt be bored.If you like adventure books and AWESOME BOOKS then i sujest this book. I thought it was sad and enteracting and good book all at the same time.

( Excuse my spelling ) ( )
  IsaacM.B1 | Sep 10, 2015 |
Michael (a gamer), his two friends, Sarah and Bryson, Kaine (a mysterious hacker who traps people inside the game), and the Virtnet (the gaming system itself). This book was just as amazing as his other series, The Maze Runner. The plot was awesome and its clear that this book took a while for the author to write and I have to say that I'm so glad that he did. Can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  JaFi14 | Mar 5, 2015 |
*Spoiler Alert!*

The Eye of Minds, by James Dashner, is a very intriguing book which involves Michael (a gamer), his two friends, Sarah and Bryson, Kaine (a mysterious hacker who traps people inside the game), and the Vitrinet (the gaming system itself). The Vitrinet is Michael's whole world. Inside it, you can experience adventures that only superheroes can, or just hang out with your friends. The story opens up where Michael, for experience points that move him to the next level, is trying to talk a girl out of committing suicide so that Kaine cannot get to her her any longer. Despite his efforts, he actually makes the girl want to do it more, and she rips out her core, a chip inside her brain, that makes deaths in the Vitrinet not real. A few days later, Michael is "kidnapped" by the Vitrinet security and told that he and his two friends are to help track and capture Kaine. Michael seeks information and discovers that there is a hidden portal in the game Devils of Destruction which will lead him to the path; it is dangerous yet the only way to find Kaine. They try to enter the game but figure out that it is rated AO - Adults Only. Michael, being who he is, hacks and forces his way in… and eventually finds the portal. After the long and hard fought travel on the path, Michael is the only survivor. He tries to defeat Kaine, but Kaine reveals his power of taking the brain-dead victims and giving the bodies to tangents, computer programs which act like people. Suddenly, Michael wakes up and realizes that he is not himself. -- he was and always had been a tangent. The worst part is that Kaine is still alive and is not yet finished with his work.

The Eye of Minds is a lightning-fast novel. It took me less than two days to read it. It was indeed a little too violent for my taste. Nevertheless, it was a very riveting book. It had a healthy dose of action mixed in with suspense. I suppose there will be a sequel because of the way it ended. I am now interested in reading another of the author's books, The Maze Runner. ( )
1 vote MeganS.B3 | Jan 11, 2015 |
Dedico este libro a Michael Bourret y a Krista Marino,
por hacer realidad mi sueño profesional
y premiarme con su amistad
Michael spoke against the wind, to a girl named Tanya. "I know it's water down there, but it might as well be concrete. You'll be as flat as a pancake the second you hit."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804122466, Audio CD)

An all-new, edge-of-your seat adventure from James Dashner, the author of the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series, The Eye of Minds is the first book in The Mortality Doctrine, a series set in a world of hyperadvanced technology, cyberterrorists, and gaming beyond your wildest dreams . . . and your worst nightmares.
Michael is a gamer. And like most gamers, he almost spends more time on the VirtNet than in the actual world. The VirtNet offers total mind and body immersion, and it’s addictive. Thanks to technology, anyone with enough money can experience fantasy worlds, risk their life without the chance of death, or just hang around with Virt-friends. And the more hacking skills you have, the more fun. Why bother following the rules when most of them are dumb, anyway?
But some rules were made for a reason. Some technology is too dangerous to fool with. And recent reports claim that one gamer is going beyond what any gamer has done before: he’s holding players hostage inside the VirtNet. The effects are horrific—the hostages have all been declared brain-dead. Yet the gamer’s motives are a mystery.
The government knows that to catch a hacker, you need a hacker.
And they’ve been watching Michael. They want him on their team.
But the risk is enormous. If he accepts their challenge, Michael will need to go off the VirtNet grid. There are back alleys and corners in the system human eyes have never seen and predators he can’t even fathom—and there’s the possibility that the line between game and reality will be blurred forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:47 -0400)

"Michael is a skilled internet gamer in a world of advanced technology. When a cyber-terrorist begins to threaten players, Michael is called upon to seek him and his secrets out"--

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

16 wanted4 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,871,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible