Dirge by Grant Palmquist

Let me be very honest - I couldn't make myself finish this book. The main character is truly disgusting. I powered through that part to where he finds himself somewhere between death and hell with his soul mate. At this point I had read over half of the book without enjoying it. I finally decided that I have far too many good books on my shelf waiting to be read to spend any more time on this one.

The theory behind the book is interesting so others may enjoy the 'mystery' waiting to be revealed. ( )
  wannabepaint | Oct 26, 2016 |
This book started great. I was lost quickly into Sterling's world. Then it switched over to some crazy otherworld or limbo type place and I kept losing interest. Some of that world was interesting but some of it it was very violent and bloody. It was a good read just a little gory towards the end. ( )
  deemelody | Dec 6, 2014 |
When I started reading [Dirge] by [Grant Palmquist] I was wondering where he was going. I read [Azure] and enjoyed the characters and plot. This was just a telling of a male with no heart or soul who used up women like I drank water.

Then the story takes a turn and I realized it was setting the scene for the rest of the plot. As the idea is about changing your life through struggle and finding your soul. No religious stuff here just spiritual.

I like how I went from hating the main character and enjoying his suffering to hoping he succeeds. I would recommend this book to my ADULT friends. Emphasis on adult. ( )
  MsHooker | Nov 8, 2014 |
I have to admit I really didn’t like the first third of this book. The hedonistic lifestyle got incredibly boring to read about from my personal point of view but when Sterling’s circumstances changed the book suddenly got more interesting to me. I didn’t like all the gratuitous violence but it did seem to fit in the general theme of the book. I did however like the ending as it seemed like a darkness had lifted and hope prevailed. ( )
  Bookworm1985 | Oct 30, 2014 |
We are supposed to dislike the protagonist of Dirge ... which is a good thing because Sterling is thoroughly unlikeable. A spoiled, emotionless, entitled stalker who takes home a new girl each night simply because he can. His ex-girlfriend has been reclassified in his mind as the one who got away and he now spends evenings calling her, sneaking up to her house to watch her through her window and feeling sorry for himself for having lost her. And then he dies.

The story and the storytelling are much like something you might see in a creative writing class. Many of the character's voices - Sterling, Moloch, and Hesper- sound almost identical. Perhaps that's the point as we are venturing into a purgatory of a story with every character meant to be some facet of the protagonist.

The story moves along quickly and the writing is certainly decent, but I found the story too one-note for me. Some scenes lingered much, much longer than they needed to and the character's sudden desire to be a good person was unbelievable. Not a terrible book, but not one of my favorites. ( )
  Samonie | Jul 10, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Grant Palmquist's book Dirge was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Grant Palmquist is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible